PesterQuest Discussion

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Re: PesterQuest Discussion

Post by TC » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Pesterquest bears the sins of Hiveswap Friendsim wherein they try to present the MSPA Reader as a character in the universe and not as a literal representation of the readerbase.

Or I guess it'd have to be Homestuck.com reader now. That's so very very sad.

Naught out of Ten IGN.
ImageImageImage

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:41 pm

I have extremely low expectations with pesterquest and the things that they are giving me feel so disgustingly shallow and emotionally dead, in my opinion. The characters are not really behaving the way I'd expect them to, especially Jade's route where she seems to just give up after the guards on Prospit told her to leave which seems REALLY out of character for her. And the blatant pandering and fanservice that's happening at the Victory state for Jade's route left me feeling extremely hollow and sick.

The whole game seems like fluffy nonsense that doesn't go into ANY depth and simply feels more like an alternative attempt at appeasing fans who want nothing but good things for these characters, like how Candy was supposed to be parodying it. Or something. I don't fucking know, this is just really exhausting and comes across as insincere to me. Blegh.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:02 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:41 pm
I have extremely low expectations with pesterquest and the things that they are giving me feel so disgustingly shallow and emotionally dead, in my opinion. The characters are not really behaving the way I'd expect them to, especially Jade's route where she seems to just give up after the guards on Prospit told her to leave which seems REALLY out of character for her. And the blatant pandering and fanservice that's happening at the Victory state for Jade's route left me feeling extremely hollow and sick.

The whole game seems like fluffy nonsense that doesn't go into ANY depth and simply feels more like an alternative attempt at appeasing fans who want nothing but good things for these characters, like how Candy was supposed to be parodying it. Or something. I don't fucking know, this is just really exhausting and comes across as insincere to me. Blegh.
This is basically the problem with pesterquest. Its been so long since the comics ended that when people get something new it feels like a hollow attempt to regain their audience and insincere. But then how can they make something sincere?

Also, I find the Jade ending incredibly wholesome because best girl deserved it after all the shit that has been thrown at her.
:rosecool:

livingNingyo

Post by livingNingyo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Same. If all else comes to worse, Jade's ending is the true end.
For you are true and destined prince ♒
And my sword is by your side
I will fight for you in glory until I die

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:15 pm

The stuff I've seen from Pesterquest is second hand but none of it really looks enticing to me.

sacreligiousDelphi
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Seer of Time

Post by sacreligiousDelphi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm

I think Pesterquest is pretty good, actually. It's refreshing to have something Homestuck related that isn't off the wall nuts. It's chill, and I appreciate it for that.
Before we knew it, we became a hurricane, and the bugs who laughed got blown away as we proclaimed, "The Circle rules your life."

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 pm

That's fair. I didn't ever gravitate toward Homestuck for chill fluff, I gravitated toward it for its fantastic mythical sensibilities, its laugh-out-loud humor, and the unique and interesting characters. Pesterquest only has one and a half of what I'm looking for, so *shrug*
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

sacreligiousDelphi
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Seer of Time

Post by sacreligiousDelphi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:02 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 pm
That's fair. I didn't ever gravitate toward Homestuck for chill fluff, I gravitated toward it for its fantastic mythical sensibilities, its laugh-out-loud humor, and the unique and interesting characters. Pesterquest only has one and a half of what I'm looking for, so *shrug*
Oh yeah, I completely agree. What I get out of Pesterquest is that awesome feels-jammy stuff without any of the pressure of the rest of Homestuck looming in the wings. It's okay if you don't like it. Nothing is for everyone.
Before we knew it, we became a hurricane, and the bugs who laughed got blown away as we proclaimed, "The Circle rules your life."

Endater
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Butt of Joke

Post by Endater » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Wing wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:02 pm
I did my best

Untitled.png
Thank you *kisses you*
ImageImage

Endater

Post by Endater » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Okay, I wanna throw this out there for the world:

--Dave had a whole kinda flirty thing with Jade in the beginning of Homestuck

--The author's commentary confirms that he had a thing for Rose

--And now PesterQuest is saying he also had a thing for John

Dave wanted to be romantic with all his chums at some point. That fucking whore.
ImageImage

livingNingyo

Post by livingNingyo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:41 pm

He wants to be the player, but not could be a player.
For you are true and destined prince ♒
And my sword is by your side
I will fight for you in glory until I die

SpidderKeen

Post by SpidderKeen » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 am

Endater wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 pm
Dave wanted to be romantic with all his chums at some point. That fucking whore.
Strider's gotta Stride.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm

I feel like the quality took major dips after the 4 kids. John and Rose specifically set the bar sooo high...

Endater

Post by Endater » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:58 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm
I feel like the quality took major dips after the 4 kids. John and Rose specifically set the bar sooo high...
100% Agree. I feel like they get worse as time goes on. Haven't played anything since Karkat and Kanaya's volume though. Kanaya's has been my least favorite so far, mostly because It's kinda boring. Liked her sprites though.
ImageImage

beefcakelocale

Post by beefcakelocale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:20 pm

I feel like each Pesterquest route is of varying degrees of quality but I honestly love Friendsim/Pesterquest as an extension of canon, regardless of their authorship.

Having MSPA Reader as your audience surrogate creates a really interesting narrative opportunity to explore elements of these characters that developed over years of updates in a way that explains them as having always been apparent, but not in a way we ever would have initially seen. Like how in HS proper, Dave realizes how abusive and toxic his domestic situation was over time, but in Pesterquest, we see hints that, along with a lot of other aspects of his personality that unfold over time, he recognizes even back then that it's actually not great, but never admits to it until he's prodded by MSPA Reader, this outside party. It's only with the existence of MSPA Reader that we get to take these developed aspects of certain characters and reexamine them from earlier perspectives.

I think complaints are warranted but, at least for now, I'm getting some enjoyment out of it all
I can't believe it's 2019 and I'm still talking about Homestuck

xeno
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Knight of Light or Rage

Post by xeno » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:29 am

Pesterquest is great, BUT (and this is major):

Vriska is terribly handled (with the exception of Kanaya's route, which otherwise is my least favorite). The rest of Vriska's route is outstanding, but both her and Terezi's routes have something about her that I absolutely loathe (and won't get too far into because it would probably cause some Vriscourse), and this is coming from someone who loves Vriska.
"Love should be abolished..."
-Garlic, Book of Mario 64

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 am

I genuinely love PesterQuest. It delves deeper into the meta-narrative I'm slowly learning to love from modern Homestuck, without being too in the face, and gives us a look at the best face of every character. No one is treated like an unlovable trashfire, everyone (Even the controversial characters) get their day in the sun. Maybe that feels disingenuous to some people, but it's kind of what MSPA Reader is all about in the modern day. Also, probably helps that I've found this to be the strongest characterization of just about everyone so far, the most themest versions of them, without the drama of Paradox Space
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Flame_Warp

Post by Flame_Warp » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:43 am

I super dig the attitude Pesterquest has had. "Nobody is doomed, the shitty things that have happened and may happen suck, but aren't all-encompassing, aren't inevitable, aren't 'not worth fighting'." It wants to fight for its happy ending, and after previous Homestuck content has made me worried that the HS story was taking up that kind of tiring cynicism it's incredibly refreshing and great.

I also can't agree that any character here has felt OOC at all. EVERYONE is going through a lot, especially with the most important event of their previously predetermined lives suddenly snatched out from under them. I think they've all had believable responses to that so far.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Flame_Warp wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:43 am
I super dig the attitude Pesterquest has had. "Nobody is doomed, the shitty things that have happened and may happen suck, but aren't all-encompassing, aren't inevitable, aren't 'not worth fighting'." It wants to fight for its happy ending, and after previous Homestuck content has made me worried that the HS story was taking up that kind of tiring cynicism it's incredibly refreshing and great.

I also can't agree that any character here has felt OOC at all. EVERYONE is going through a lot, especially with the most important event of their previously predetermined lives suddenly snatched out from under them. I think they've all had believable responses to that so far.
Weirdest part of all is, i think its all a lie on its own. Dirk, John, Calliope, all these guys make paradox space do what they want it too. And presumably every single one of the characters we have seen has this potential too. Maybe with exceptions to the game constructs. Makes you wonder what really IS the truth of paradox space if it seems relatively yielding when someone comes along with the power ot make it bend. But even then the timeloop tries to complicate things by making things go off the rails if its designs aren't met. As if the timeloop itself is something arbitrary.

To be fair though, its clear these kids seem to wield monstrous power. Maybe a lot of people who aren't even paradox clones have that potential.

I think that is why paradox space killed off nepeta. She would become the unrepentant eldritch goddess of shipping and everyone would fuck everyone else all the time. You know she would get horney when she grew up.

Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life

Post by Leddy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm quite a fan of Pesterquest so far.

I'll admit I'm very new to the Homestuck fandom (I'm about a month or two in at this point! Very new) but I enjoy the style of content it's going for. Getting to have a nicer and more light-hearted story with these characters is really enjoyable and if you've played and enjoyed Friendsim than you can enjoy Pesterquest.

There are some oddly handled aspects though, Jade's route was really shocking at first, although it made sense if you thought on it, Kanaya's route was unfortunately not the greatest in terms of execution and Vriska's route with that little comment of "You're looking at someone who's done nothing wrong." Reignited a lot of Vriscourse even if you're taking it as a joking statement. It has it's fair share of flaws and the people who are writing them can't account for how they may actually act in all these situations.

Despite these flaws though I really enjoyed it, routes like Equius which give light and some dynamics of characters that got a raw deal in the comics is really nice. Not gonna be a game for everyone, but surely a game for some to enjoy.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread