Homestuck^2 Update Statistical Analysis Corner

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
Cheshire_Creeper

Homestuck^2 Update Statistical Analysis Corner

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:08 am

Hi. I thought it would be interesting if we embarked on a project together. So let's do this.

WELCOME, TO MY HOMESTUCK^2 UPDATE STATISTICAL ANALYSIS CORNER!
:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:

It's gonna be a wild ride, folks. Buckle up. By the end of this, hopefully, I will be known as the New Jon Bois of the Homestuck Fandom.

Here's the chart for the October Update.

Before we really dig into the numbers, let me first give some context to what I mean by "Panels." A "Panel" is essentially a page. So, when Dirk picked up the picture of his durst effect in this update, I did not count that as another Dirk Panel, I only counted that as one time.

Also, by talking, I don't mean word count or lines of text used, as some characters inherently would have an advantage based on their quirks. I don't want to stand there counting out manually (and yes, all of this data is entered in manually, by hand, by me sitting there counting and updating the spreadsheet each time I click "next") all of the lines and words spoken by characters, that would take too long.

I'm stalling, I know, because this is the first time I've ever done something like this before. Currently, the data isn't statistically significant, because I don't have a lot of Data to work with. Essentially, the big take-away is that, nobody died in this update, and that Dirk should really shut up.

If you have any questions on this data, please let me know. Until then, please look forward to more updates from the HOMESTUCK^2 UPDATE STATISTICAL ANALYSIS CORNER!
I have an ill-advised plan...what else is new?
https://mspfa.com/user/?u=108518406857173018839

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Re: Homestuck^2 Update Statistical Analysis Corner

Post by TC » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:54 pm

I for one can't wait to see how convoluted this will get when we start factoring in the rest of the cast.
ImageImageImage

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm

maybe a 'panels seen' too? terezi/rose were 'in' the october update but we have no idea what they're new designs look like

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind
Moon: Derse

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:38 am

can someone explain me what does it means with 'panel alive' and 'panel dead'?
:rosecool:

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:38 am
Panels in which a character is alive and panels in which a character is dead I assume?
Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:09 am

sigmatic wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 am
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Panels in which a character is alive and panels in which a character is dead I assume?
Oh dead as in ghosts? Well then I dont think we are going to see a lot of them, what with de dream bubbles being destroyed and all that.

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:01 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:09 am
sigmatic wrote:
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Oh dead as in ghosts? Well then I dont think we are going to see a lot of them, what with de dream bubbles being destroyed and all that.
Or just dead dead and not there in any way works too when counting for how many panels a character is dead
Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Cheshire_Creeper

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:32 pm

sigmatic wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:01 am
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
sigmatic wrote:

Or just dead dead and not there in any way works too when counting for how many panels a character is dead
Okay let me explain this
I start counting the "Panels Alive" from the first page we hear from the character to the last, because I am not building a timeline for this kind of stuff, that would take too long and be too complicated. Once the character dies, we have a "Panels Dead" counter that will go up until A) they are revived somehow, or B) The Comic Ends.
Also, I think I will make a "Panels Seen" part of the chart for characters, because I realize the way I'm counting "Panels Alive" doesn't tell us how many panels they were in, just how much of the comic they were alive for.
Hope that clears this up!

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 pm

This should be interesting.

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:27 pm

This will be pretty cool! It's going to get crazy once other characters are introduced.

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:19 am

Cheshire_Creeper wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:32 pm
sigmatic wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:01 am
Generalrabogolfo wrote:

Okay let me explain this
I start counting the "Panels Alive" from the first page we hear from the character to the last, because I am not building a timeline for this kind of stuff, that would take too long and be too complicated. Once the character dies, we have a "Panels Dead" counter that will go up until A) they are revived somehow, or B) The Comic Ends.
Also, I think I will make a "Panels Seen" part of the chart for characters, because I realize the way I'm counting "Panels Alive" doesn't tell us how many panels they were in, just how much of the comic they were alive for.
Hope that clears this up!
Thanks! And yeah, do that panel seen thing.
Anyway, this looks promising.

Crpal
Pronouns: He/Him
Moon: Prospit

Post by Crpal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:51 am

Good luck with this bud. It's going to get crazy once we finally get into the meat of things in HS2. Not only are we going to have a bunch of returning characters from HS but also a lot of brand new characters too. I'll be watching out for this

Cheshire_Creeper

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 pm

By Popular Demand.

Okay, so I should probably explain what I mean by "Panels Appeared in." This is just making sure that there is seperation between when the character was first seen/known to be in the story to their death date ("Panels Alive"), and when the character actually was SEEN. As we can see, currently Terezi and Rosebot haven't ever been in a panel that they haven't spoken in as well, whereas Dirky boy gets his impressive 31/32 panels alive counter slightly diminished by the fact that he was not seen in either the first nor last Panel of this update.

So I edited this post because I realized the math about "3 panels in which he talks" is wrong, because I mistakenly assumed that any panels where Dirk didn't talk he narrated, and any panels in which Dirk Narrated he didn't talk. That's not true. Still, Dirk? Shut. Up.

Okay, that's it. I hope that this will find you well, and I look forward to when they update next. My bet in on 11/22, because then Dirk could all be like "You thought that we were going to post on 11/11, but you played into my mind trick and were wrong because we're all about subverting expectations here at the Homestuck Factory" and Terezi could be all "D1DN'T W3 NOT UPD4T3 B3C4US3 YOU SP3NT TH3 N1GHT B3FOR3 W4TCH1NG 4N1M3?"

Cheshire_Creeper

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:42 pm

UPDATE. JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU. I HAVE FINISHED. MY MASTERPIECE.

Not really, but we have some more Data to work with. NOTHING will really decrown Dirk's top spot from how much he's talked in the first update alone, but something interesting to note is that Rosebot is now tied with "The Guys" (Dirk & Jake), with Dirk, Jake, and Rosebot being 5 Panels Each, and Terezi--YES, TEREZI--being the only person even to come close to Dirk's Crowning Achievement of 16 Panels, with 9 Panels of her own. (Say it with me: Dirk, Shut Up. BGD, Keep Talking.)

Alright. This is really all that stood out to me this update, besides the fact that Jake is now the one being associated with ghostly hands. Also, apparently we're not dropping the Act Metaphor, or at least we're adding onto that metaphor the Chapter Metaphors. I can't wait for a map of Homestuck^2 to be Released, that needs to happen ASAP.

Also donate to the Paetron if you want me to descend into madness trying to do this for TWO UPDATES in a row. Also, nobody who has spoken yet is new, although BGD was irrelevant from after the Retcon onwards, so it's good to see that old guy back.