Andrew Hussie Stepping Down as Director of Homestuck^2

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
mightyhydrator
Pronouns: he/him
Moon: Prospit

Re: Andrew Hussie Stepping Down as Director of Homestuck^2

Post by mightyhydrator » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 am

thorondraco wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pm
You .... You do realize there is at least 2 other acts for hiveswap right? Not to mention a possible Hauntswitch series? An d more than likely, if they are done with hvieswap act 2 (which is in fact possible considering Aysha has recently claimed on her discord that it would have been out alreayd if not for the pandemic), that they would be working on act 3?
I hate to agree with SbIUsedToKnow. Act 1 was released three years after its original release window with INSANELY sparse news for both general fans and kickstarter backers. Act 2 has been as sparse, if not more so, and it's gonna be three years since act 1 soon. It just doesn't feel realistic to expect the series to last into development of Hauntswitch, or to expect this already rag-tag team that can't help but be mired in controversy at every step to be working on something until 2026, which puts a dent in the idea that Hiveswap will be complete. WP getting a publisher certainly didn't help with any of this, and I would be very amazed to find out that they will somehow manage to get this series out of the grave, but it's looking grim either way.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 am

mightyhydrator wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 am
thorondraco wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pm
You .... You do realize there is at least 2 other acts for hiveswap right? Not to mention a possible Hauntswitch series? An d more than likely, if they are done with hvieswap act 2 (which is in fact possible considering Aysha has recently claimed on her discord that it would have been out alreayd if not for the pandemic), that they would be working on act 3?
I hate to agree with SbIUsedToKnow. Act 1 was released three years after its original release window with INSANELY sparse news for both general fans and kickstarter backers. Act 2 has been as sparse, if not more so, and it's gonna be three years since act 1 soon. It just doesn't feel realistic to expect the series to last into development of Hauntswitch, or to expect this already rag-tag team that can't help but be mired in controversy at every step to be working on something until 2026, which puts a dent in the idea that Hiveswap will be complete. WP getting a publisher certainly didn't help with any of this, and I would be very amazed to find out that they will somehow manage to get this series out of the grave, but it's looking grim either way.
All current indications is that there is active and relatively stable production of Hiveswap going on.
It is with all likelyhood that act 2 production started either later 2018 or early 2019 from the announcements and implications from there. The teaser trailer and steam page of Act 2 appearing in october coincides with the idea that without the corona outbreak, we would have had act 2 in our hands... The publisher was likely helping the programming process but the virus kinda took everyone by surprise.
Statement from last year is that the hiveswap team is creating the story, the images and backgrounds and character sprites and even animations, and the programmers then put it together as they move onto the next act's art and such.

If aysha is to be believed, and so far she hasn't joshed us in any way, then her statement that hiveswap would have been out by now withou the corona cucking seems tofit the evidence and speculation.

So that means that they were abler to put it together in less than a year, if a little less. But let's face it, its obvious that Hiveswap got sidelined and tis old content scrapped after 2017's release thanks to Viz cucking them over. Act 2 under aysha was a redo after they FINALLY got some ground under their feet. I think we can safely say that act 3 is probably in some form of production too as the people on the project could still work on it from home, even if it seems like Fellow traveler got messed with during the pandemic.

Also from what ican gather fellow traveler is a pretty kay publisher. They had an untested publisher who was making their own game last time and it lead to drama.

Basically the presumption that act 3 will be the same scenario as act 2 has been is the presumption that act 2 Wasn't in development hell for at least a year if not a year and a half.

mightyhydrator

Post by mightyhydrator » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:44 am

thorondraco wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 am
Basically the presumption that act 3 will be the same scenario as act 2 has been is the presumption that act 2 Wasn't in development hell for at least a year if not a year and a half.
I am not sure what's different now to make you so optimistic about act 3. WP hasn't proved itself to be a very reliable company. Like, again, none of what you said explains the utter lack of news on anything. Literally the only thing the steam page did was tell us "we're making it", and if coronavirus messed anything up, why aren't we being told about it? It's not that I don't think it didn't put a time dent, it's that I have to wonder why Homestuck as a franchise is so averse to any kind of news besides "it's being made" every 5 months. Like, I am simply supposed to believe that nothing will come up within the year after act 2's release? That maybe there won't be in-company disputes, or disputes between them and FT? Or hell, maybe they just take it slow for some reason, and we never hear of anything that could possible come up with?
So far, Hiveswap's development cycle has given me no reason to be optimistic. Hell, I still don't know what the fuck was up with the Viz restructuring, seeing as Viz is in no way responsible for Hiveswap at all, just the comic's publishing rights. Far as I know, some people being laid off could have just been a coincidence, or a convenient moment for Hussie to fire a few people, or maybe contracts just expired (as James completed his obligations at around the same time)

Far as any fan can tell, a Hiveswap act will be released 2.5-3.5 years, and that's assuming act 2 isn't delayed for the third time since the official "early 2018" estimate, which btw, is fucking WEIRD, because if they were soooo sure they were gonna be able to make it to that point, it took them over two more years for act 2 to be done.
You know, now that I am remembering this, I don't think I trust Aysha. Aysha could have just said that to save face, or lied just because, or literally anything. The "coronavirus delay" doesn't explain why it would have taken them from like, june2018 to march2020, after they've already gotten a lot of assets and concept art from act 1's development, to finish the game. (since again, they were sure they were gonna make it to early 2018, we must assume a lot of shit was already prepared enough or something along those lines)

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm

mightyhydrator wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:44 am
thorondraco wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 am
I am not sure what's different now to make you so optimistic about act 3. WP hasn't proved itself to be a very reliable company. Like, again, none of what you said explains the utter lack of news on anything. Literally the only thing the steam page did was tell us "we're making it", and if coronavirus messed anything up, why aren't we being told about it? It's not that I don't think it didn't put a time dent, it's that I have to wonder why Homestuck as a franchise is so averse to any kind of news besides "it's being made" every 5 months. Like, I am simply supposed to believe that nothing will come up within the year after act 2's release? That maybe there won't be in-company disputes, or disputes between them and FT? Or hell, maybe they just take it slow for some reason, and we never hear of anything that could possible come up with?
So far, Hiveswap's development cycle has given me no reason to be optimistic. Hell, I still don't know what the fuck was up with the Viz restructuring, seeing as Viz is in no way responsible for Hiveswap at all, just the comic's publishing rights. Far as I know, some people being laid off could have just been a coincidence, or a convenient moment for Hussie to fire a few people, or maybe contracts just expired (as James completed his obligations at around the same time)

Far as any fan can tell, a Hiveswap act will be released 2.5-3.5 years, and that's assuming act 2 isn't delayed for the third time since the official "early 2018" estimate, which btw, is fucking WEIRD, because if they were soooo sure they were gonna be able to make it to that point, it took them over two more years for act 2 to be done.
You know, now that I am remembering this, I don't think I trust Aysha. Aysha could have just said that to save face, or lied just because, or literally anything. The "coronavirus delay" doesn't explain why it would have taken them from like, june2018 to march2020, after they've already gotten a lot of assets and concept art from act 1's development, to finish the game. (since again, they were sure they were gonna make it to early 2018, we must assume a lot of shit was already prepared enough or something along those lines)
That is true, its hard to get information as we've had to pick up the bits and pieces given by people involved hither and dither.
James roach claimed production had long stopped in 2018, but its clear it started up again in 2019. And while they've stopped releasing continuous updates long ago, they did state their gameplan.

Also there was the statement that act 2 would release in 2018. Meaning that was possibly worked on and near completed. But whatever happened with viz media obviously caused it ot cease. And it sounds like they totall yabandoned what they had done before when they restarted in 2019.

The question is if the hiveswap acts are in consistent production now. We don't know but there is no reason to think they aren't.

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

Post by classpectanon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm just stepping in to remind people that speculation about Real People with Real Feelings is expressly not allowed, and to cool your jets about this before warnings start getting handed out.
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

mspainadventures
Pronouns: pe/pe's/pin/pin's
Classpect: heir of the toilet

Post by mspainadventures » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm

classpectanon wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:21 pm
I'm just stepping in to remind people that speculation about Real People with Real Feelings is expressly not allowed, and to cool your jets about this before warnings start getting handed out.
Thank you.
It's beautiful

I've listened to this for five hours now.

mightyhydrator

Post by mightyhydrator » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:56 pm

classpectanon wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:21 pm
Sorry, got kinda carried away.

FrostyMac

Post by FrostyMac » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:55 am

Judging by the evidence, I think Hussie left because he wanted to move on, at least as far as his main focus goes, from Homestuck. Even members of the Homestuck team have reiterated that Hussie has ambition plans beyond Homestuck. This was probably always gonna happen, and his involvement in HS2 was likely mostly for the sake of helping the new writers and artists get acclimated to the process.