I'm afraid for HS^2

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
BrobyDDark

Re: I'm afraid for HS^2

Post by BrobyDDark » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Question: What the fuck is kinning and why would it be bad?

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:56 pm

classpectanon wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:10 pm
Let's try to keep the talk of who may or may not be kinning who to places that are Not this Forums. The last thing we need is kin drama.
What IS kinning? Not to be off topic from the thread I just genuinely don't know

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath
Moon: Derse

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 pm

As I understand it, kinning is similar to stanning (stanning refers to being a super fan of a character, almost to obsession), but is less related to an admiration for the character and more to a comparison between the character and ones self.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:21 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:56 pm
classpectanon wrote:
Let's try to keep the talk of who may or may not be kinning who to places that are Not this Forums. The last thing we need is kin drama.
What IS kinning? Not to be off topic from the thread I just genuinely don't know
it's
"I AM LITERALLY [character]"

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:36 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
bro this is LITERALLY me.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Alder

Post by Alder » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
classpectanon wrote:
Essentially, when a person believes that they are actually a fictional character in human, physical form. Yeah. No bueno.

Dream Muttman

Post by Dream Muttman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Alder wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 pm
rookie1978 wrote:
Snipsnap
Essentially, when a person believes that they are actually a fictional character in human, physical form. Yeah. No bueno.
Much like stanning, which comes from being the eponymous Stan from the Eminem song, kinning has also changed in usage to mean something less extreme. It mostly just means you identify with a character and tie your personal sense of identity to them, without so much of the "I was a wolf in a past life" sentiment of the old kin stuff from Tumblr and elsewhere.
Witness my golem:
:candy: :meat: :candy:
:candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn:

Has it grown since you last saw it?

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:59 pm

Dream Muttman wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 pm
Alder wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 pm
rookie1978 wrote:
Snipsnap
Much like stanning, which comes from being the eponymous Stan from the Eminem song, kinning has also changed in usage to mean something less extreme. It mostly just means you identify with a character and tie your personal sense of identity to them, without so much of the "I was a wolf in a past life" sentiment of the old kin stuff from Tumblr and elsewhere.
Yeah. If you see somebody in the Vast Error thread or something say "I kin Arcjec" they probably just mean they relate to Arcjec on a personal level.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

sumiwrecko

Post by sumiwrecko » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:47 am

PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:16 pm
rookie1978 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:12 am
homestuck was about 4 kids playing a funny videogame. humor and entertainment was it's primary goal.
fucking this
I want to laugh again
I want to look at homestuck and get a chuckle out or get curious and hyped for whats going to happen
I don't want to DREAD the updates, to have a feeling of agony everytime I think of the countless ways they could destroy these arealdy destroyed characters
remember when Jake LITERALLY SHAT HIMSELF ON LIVE TV in the epilogues? How the FUCK do you go lower than that? these characters dont have a single fucking sense of pride and respect anymore and they've all devolved into a fucking laughing stock
seconding this because goddamn
i can go back to the earlier acts and enjoy just how whimsical it felt back then
just learning about the game, the characters and everything that they could do- probably because it felt like some vicarious experience(?)
im probably blinded by nostalgia but i know i dont see anything for me in homestuck 2
more power to the people who choose to go on with it, though- that's your own prerogative

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:01 am

sumiwrecko wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:47 am
PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:16 pm
rookie1978 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:12 am
homestuck was about 4 kids playing a funny videogame. humor and entertainment was it's primary goal.
fucking this
I want to laugh again
I want to look at homestuck and get a chuckle out or get curious and hyped for whats going to happen
I don't want to DREAD the updates, to have a feeling of agony everytime I think of the countless ways they could destroy these arealdy destroyed characters
remember when Jake LITERALLY SHAT HIMSELF ON LIVE TV in the epilogues? How the FUCK do you go lower than that? these characters dont have a single fucking sense of pride and respect anymore and they've all devolved into a fucking laughing stock
seconding this because goddamn
i can go back to the earlier acts and enjoy just how whimsical it felt back then
just learning about the game, the characters and everything that they could do- probably because it felt like some vicarious experience(?)
im probably blinded by nostalgia but i know i dont see anything for me in homestuck 2
more power to the people who choose to go on with it, though- that's your own prerogative
https://www.homestuck.com/story/16

That is kinda all there needs to be said about the matter.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:11 am

thorondraco wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:01 am

This scene is also a wonderful thing to give us a window into John's personality. For a lot of people, fleeting, stupid thoughts like these happen all the time. This command and John's reaction to it gives us a feeler for John's personality as well as a uniquely empathetic way of showing us how he thinks. The other commands for the other four kids later on in the story also give us windows into their personalities. Rose calmly rejects it and moves on immediately. Dave rejects one half of the command but accepts the other. Jade at first rejects it, then actually does the ridiculous thing that was suggested because it's fun.

Such a good story.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:11 am
thorondraco wrote:

This scene is also a wonderful thing to give us a window into John's personality. For a lot of people, fleeting, stupid thoughts like these happen all the time. This command and John's reaction to it gives us a feeler for John's personality as well as a uniquely empathetic way of showing us how he thinks. The other commands for the other four kids later on in the story also give us windows into their personalities. Rose calmly rejects it and moves on immediately. Dave rejects one half of the command but accepts the other. Jade at first rejects it, then actually does the ridiculous thing that was suggested because it's fun.

Such a good story.
Except it had such a slow pace overall. Kinda like what people are accusing the sequel of right now.

I am just saying that a lot of the stuff that people are criticizing the epilogues and the sequel of are aspects of the original homestuck. I would say in several ways the original did a better job, in others the sequel stuff has done a better job. But it is without question hypocrisy going on here. Been seeing it a lot on the forums and the reddit.

The utlimate truth is you wanted something else for the Epilogues, an actual ending, but Hussie chose to continue the series. He obviously feels there is more to show for the story and for Paradox space. And don't be mistaken, this is still Hussie's thing still. He wrote an outline, negotiated with his team, and now they are executing it right now. Just because he is not directly writing most or non of it doesn't mean he isn't keeping in control.

Its basically the same situation form when John gained retcon powers. He hijacked the narrative in universe but it was still Hussie writing a story.

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 pm
calamityCons wrote:
thorondraco wrote:

Such a good story.
Except it had such a slow pace overall. Kinda like what people are accusing the sequel of right now.

I am just saying that a lot of the stuff that people are criticizing the epilogues and the sequel of are aspects of the original homestuck. I would say in several ways the original did a better job, in others the sequel stuff has done a better job. But it is without question hypocrisy going on here. Been seeing it a lot on the forums and the reddit.

The utlimate truth is you wanted something else for the Epilogues, an actual ending, but Hussie chose to continue the series. He obviously feels there is more to show for the story and for Paradox space. And don't be mistaken, this is still Hussie's thing still. He wrote an outline, negotiated with his team, and now they are executing it right now. Just because he is not directly writing most or non of it doesn't mean he isn't keeping in control.

Its basically the same situation form when John gained retcon powers. He hijacked the narrative in universe but it was still Hussie writing a story.
you forgot the part where updates were coming out CONSTANTLY AND we were having constant input on the work itself through reader commands

current homestuck is waiting for months for something that feels like its being made by someone who doesnt give a shit about you

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:09 pm

thorondraco wrote:
calamityCons wrote:
thorondraco wrote:

Such a good story.

Homestuck was updating nearly every day, was starting from Square 1, and took user commands. Homestuck^2 isn't doing any of that.

Dream Muttman

Post by Dream Muttman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 pm

thorondraco wrote:
calamityCons wrote:
thorondraco wrote:
Snippety
Snip
This isn't the case. Hussie's "outline" is loose specifically because he's allowing the writers to shape the entire story and have as much latitude as they wish. He's not controlling the story in any way. He has made it clear that he's not interested in taking that role, and that going forward he has no plans to ever do so again. He's not the secret team leader of the Homestuck^2 team. He's not running oversight on what they create. He's given them the reins of Homestuck. Take him at face value.
Witness my golem:
:candy: :meat: :candy:
:candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn:

Has it grown since you last saw it?

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 pm

PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 pm
thorondraco wrote:
calamityCons wrote:

Such a good story.

you forgot the part where updates were coming out CONSTANTLY AND we were having constant input on the work itself through reader commands

current homestuck is waiting for months for something that feels like its being made by someone who doesnt give a shit about you
Because they have a plan rather than it being freeform thought coming from Hussie's eldritch brain.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Dream Muttman wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 pm
thorondraco wrote:
calamityCons wrote:

Snip
This isn't the case. Hussie's "outline" is loose specifically because he's allowing the writers to shape the entire story and have as much latitude as they wish. He's not controlling the story in any way. He has made it clear that he's not interested in taking that role, and that going forward he has no plans to ever do so again. He's not the secret team leader of the Homestuck^2 team. He's not running oversight on what they create. He's given them the reins of Homestuck. Take him at face value.
They have said that he still has control of it. Just because he isn't deciding where the story is directly going doesn't mean they aren't passing off the ideas and direction to him and getting the okay for such ideas, especially the major ones. Creative freedom does not mean without limitations and agreement. Even if Hussie was completely gone they would still have to reach an internal consensus about the direction it is going.

For an inane example, if Roxie and Rose suddenly got into a sexual relationship and Hussie stated "Okay as much as I have made incest jokes involving the striders, just.. no." Maybe we would get the culmination of stridercest in all its squicky glory if enough people agreed with it. Maybe Hussie's word is god in that regard. Reality is there is no way a random writer could go off the rails and there is nothing stopping him or her.

People seem to be presuming the worst without actual evidence towards it. And misconstruing things that seem pretentiously written or implied.. Even though that is an emulation to Hussie's pretension.

Joyfulldreams
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Rogue of Breath
Moon: Prospit

Post by Joyfulldreams » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:55 pm

The hilarious thing is I'm not all that excited for HS2 even though I'm personal friends with multiple people on the writing team. Which is mostly a byproduct of how much I **FUCKING DESPISE** the epilogues and EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM.

The question of social media platforms is a rough one because. Well. This is the only good tweet I will ever have made.

Twitter is absolutely the most awful fucking place for fandom engagement to be, and I'm pretty sure at least some of the team are aware of it. I know Taz is. Kate, after her most recent fucking twitter debacle, has finally actually removed herself from the platform almost completely. Mercifully, for both herself and the rest of us, especially since she's been getting a concerning amount of death threats. And I know that it's a catch-22 for other creators like Aysha and James because it's not as easy as just getting off twitter for them, because they have to get the majority of their income from other jobs, and those jobs almost require being on twitter--especially as an author, for Aysha, as much of the publishing industry is *on* twitter. James I think is in a similar spot with his music.

It doesn't stop them from maybe taking a hint and just getting a private and/or separate twitter to post all their homestuck hot takes on in a less ridiculously public way, like I know at least one or two of the other team members have done, so they don't keep saying ridiculous shit. But it's also fucking ridiculous that twitter is such a heinous hellhole that you have to have two fucking accounts just to not destroy yourself both personally and professionally! God damn, at least tumblr had sideblogs built in???

Reddit isn't an option because the main homestuck reddit and the HS discord are run by Makin, who is.....AN ASSHOLE who makes everyone on the team extremely uncomfortable because of the amount of internet stalking he does and also because the way he moderates those spaces allows far too much straight up bigoted bullshit to run absolutely rampant. The writers, who are pretty much all queer and trans POC and whom are already receiving death threats, don't want to have anything to do with a space that doesn't actively discourage bigotry. Both like...idealogically, and for their own health and safety. And desu I'm on their side there because, LMAO, fuck the reddit.

Mod Edit: I know people have strong feelings regarding the reddit and people on it, but also remember that this is a strict no-beefing forum, particularly with people that are ALSO on the forums.

Barraskewda

Post by Barraskewda » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:00 am

It's almost like the Homestuck community on Twitter and that was on Tumblr is full of a rancid mob mentality where if you don't agree with x y or z thing you get absolutely demolished. Really all I can say is just stop engaging and it will stop it's not rocket science, STOP TAKING THE BAIT IT'S NOT WORTH IT
192 ATK, 206 SPD and guaranteed to fuck you up

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:39 pm

I get that no platform has been necessarily kind to the authors, least of all here, but I still think that the authors spending more time on here would be the best choice. It seems to model the best the Homestuck community of olde, it has the best format for discussion, and it's not run by someone as intolerant as Makin (not tryna beef here). I've said it before and I'll say it again: The way twitter is formatted is practically optimized for bad discussion. Any kind of discourse inevitably descends into ridicule of the other sides points, and more often the less popular sides. It would be nice to be able to actually conversate with the writers, to get some idea of their plans, their ambitions, their thoughts on what THEY want Homestuck to be. Really, any platform will always have some amount of toxic douchebags, death threat writers, and whomever else, but I think the best way to avoid that is to have good, earnest discussion with the fanbase. JoyfullDreams had said she personally knew the writers, but hated basically everything about the epilogues. That's good. Not that she hated them, but that she's able to have respectful conversation with the writers regardless.
June X Vriska is the best ship.