I'm afraid for HS^2

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

I'm afraid for HS^2

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:43 pm

The people writing it, the admittance of 'we won't always have art because writing is easier to put out', the team blatantly saying they don't plan on animations (so no [S] scenes, animations, games, etc. which is IMO how Homestuck tends to be so charming), the rate of updates and asking for donations to make them quicker, all the stupid things that showed up in the epilogues (forced gender change inclusion just because it's the hot new thing IRL, 'cherub poison' suddenly appearing just to kill John despite never existing prior, not being an actual epilogue and instead focusing on around 7~ish characters and leaving out a huge majority of the cast etc,) and how lenient Hussie is about all of it. The entire idea of 'let the fans write all canon homestuck' was stupid, and an awful, awful idea. At least Friendsim didn't change anything major- the game was fun, and pesterquest is even more dubiously canon then the epilogues themselves.

I had a great deal of hope upon reading the first ~2 updates, especially Dirk's inner monologue of 'this comic was supposed to be something, why did it get wrapped up in things that never mattered,' yadda yadda, but looking back on it? Dirk's supposed to be the bad guy here. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be endearing or taken seriously, and (in a way) that the HS^2 team's poking fun at people who wanted Meat instead of Candy.

So, I am incredibly scared for HS^2. I'm scared it'll end up being a shitshow, i'm scared they'll ruin characters harder than Act Six and beyond, i'm scared the quality is going to take major dips (and not the funny SBaHJ kinds either), i'm scared that it's going to wind up dead before it finishes because of general lack of quality/interest or not enough donation money... etc.

....because we need donations to make a proper comic now despite HS^2 being admittedly graphically inferior and less work-inducing than the original comic due to not requiring art for every panel and no animations/interactive scenes. The HS^2's team is basically just tasked with WRITING the story. They've given themselves EASY OUTS/EXCUSES already for avoiding having to do more work. Now, when anyone questions why we haven't seen any art in 40~ or so panels, they'll be a suck-up defense team of casual fans saying "Urr, durr, it's actually revolutionary" or something equally stupid.

:bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused:

Darth_Energon

Re: I'm afraid for HS^2

Post by Darth_Energon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 pm

My main gripe is I just wanted the story to end, but the people behind Homestuck don't see it that way and it's starting to really piss me off.

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

Post by classpectanon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm

The people writing it, the admittance of 'we won't always have art because writing is easier to put out', the team blatantly saying they don't plan on animations (so no [S] scenes, animations, games, etc. which is IMO how Homestuck tends to be so charming), the rate of updates and asking for donations to make them quicker, all the stupid things that showed up in the epilogues (forced gender change inclusion just because it's the hot new thing IRL, 'cherub poison' suddenly appearing just to kill John despite never existing prior, not being an actual epilogue and instead focusing on around 7~ish characters and leaving out a huge majority of the cast etc,) and how lenient Hussie is about all of it. The entire idea of 'let the fans write all canon homestuck' was stupid, and an awful, awful idea. At least Friendsim didn't change anything major- the game was fun, and pesterquest is even more dubiously canon then the epilogues themselves.

i'll pick this apart the best i can because i have stuff to do tonight.
The people writing it, the admittance of 'we won't always have art because writing is easier to put out
about 2 of the 32 pages don't have art. all things considered that's... fine? i get if you don't like it but let's not pretend this is some end of the world "ITS ALL GONNA BE NOVELS FROM NOW ON" thing.
the team blatantly saying they don't plan on animations (so no [S] scenes, animations, games, etc. which is IMO how Homestuck tends to be so charming)
quoth the one person (not the team) that brought this up.
the short answer to this question is: we don’t plan on it.

the long answer: maybe? there won’t be any flashes, but this doesn’t rule out the prospect of animation and/or music altogether.

rate of updates and asking for donations to make them quicker
i'm not a gigantic fan of once a month updates either but i don't think requesting to be compensated for your work is something that should be frowned upon. these people need to eat because starved corpses can't make homestuck.
forced gender change inclusion just because it's the hot new thing IRL, 'cherub poison' suddenly appearing just to kill John despite never existing prior, not being an actual epilogue and instead focusing on around 7~ish characters and leaving out a huge majority of the cast etc,
god forbid people actually think it's worth focusing on social issues because they're important to them -- no, everything is a pessimistic grab for social capital. nobody has ever written about lgbt characters before 2019, especially not homestuck, which has a lesbian romance as one of its most deeply established canonical ships.
it's pretty heavily implied that dirk is literally making up cherub poison on the spot to kill john.
are you going to complain about the intermissions not actually being intermissions either? the character focus thing is a big /shrug imo. homestuck has never really cared about more than 12 ish characters at a time at most. any appearances to the contrary are joke characters not intended to be important.
The entire idea of 'let the fans write all canon homestuck' was stupid, and an awful, awful idea.
i just think this is a wrong opinion, but this isn't something that can really be swung one way or the other.
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

sacreligiousDelphi
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Seer of Time

Post by sacreligiousDelphi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:01 pm

It's okay that you feel that way, but... You don't have to pay attention to it at all. Homestuck did indeed end.
Before we knew it, we became a hurricane, and the bugs who laughed got blown away as we proclaimed, "The Circle rules your life."

Endater
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Butt of Joke

Post by Endater » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Completely agree with rookie1978. There's one tiny light of hope inside of me that this will all end up being some really clever bullshit satirizing the community in an absolutely genius way. But day by day that light gets slowly snuffed out.

And the art is def a downgrade. Like, if this was a fan adventure, I'd be like "Hey! Some of this isn't too shabby! But the sprite work could use some improvement..." But this is ""Official"". It's like the bean art style on max, I don't think that as very hussnasty. To me, Hussnasty is more like the early on hero mode.

I think it would have been cool if they did something different with the sprite art. Like, they're 20 now or something. I think they should have been drawn more guardian-like. That would be rad as all Hell.
ImageImage

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Unless the story of Homestuck2 decides not to focus on nonsensical teen drama and exhausting, pretentious canonicity wank and quits talking down to me so dang much, I won't be following it at all. I'm not happy with the current creative team and their mean-spirited jabs against things like fanwork and their insistence on shitting on established characters even more than they already were back in the Game Over retcon bullshit.

Still, there is a tiny glimmer of hope in my heart that they might go to some alternate reality where the Beta Kids finally fucking finish that game they started rather than careening off into the junkyard. Or something.

(Mod Edit: Try not to ascribe intent where it doesn't exist, in regards to calling WP "mean-spirited")
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time

Post by bathtimebird » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:17 pm

I just wish they'd update more than once a month, jesus christ, this wait is killing me. A lot can happen in a month. Like your fanbase decaying faster than plutonium.

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Post by TC » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 pm

I really wanna see new characters because of how much the old characters are being stretched thin but I am worried the new aliens won't live up to the old ones. I mean, the cherubs already aren't exactly all time classics even if Caliborn is best boy.
ImageImageImage

heroboof
Pronouns: he/him/his
Classpect: rogue of heart

Post by heroboof » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 pm

TC wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 pm
I really wanna see new characters because of how much the old characters are being stretched thin but I am worried the new aliens won't live up to the old ones. I mean, the cherubs already aren't exactly all time classics even if Caliborn is best boy.
Easy solution to this is more Candy- if you pay attention to their stories, Tav Crocker, Vriska ML, and Harry Anderson Egbert are all MASSIVELY compelling and (imo) deserve more time in the limelight. It'd be a good way to tell more stories about parenthood from the perspective of the main cast, too.

and if they don't get more time in the limelight of official semicanon content, i'm gonna say fuckit and make a fanadventure.

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Post by TC » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 pm

heroboof wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 pm
Tav Crocker, Vriska ML, and Harry Anderson Egbert are all MASSIVELY compelling and (imo) deserve more time in the limelight.
I agree with you but they're still pretty intrinsically connected to the old cast and I'd like to see something new for a change. Plus, the two main writers of the Epilogues aren't writing Homestuck 2 so idk.

I feel like it's better that the story doesn't focus on the Earth Cs of Candy or Meat and all and just focuses on new characters and occasionally the people who left Earth C.
ImageImageImage

heroboof

Post by heroboof » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Ahh, good points here. I'm just a huge sucker for those funky little babies.

deadlyAdder
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by deadlyAdder » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:33 am

classpectanon wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm

The people writing it, the admittance of 'we won't always have art because writing is easier to put out
about 2 of the 32 pages don't have art. all things considered that's... fine? i get if you don't like it but let's not pretend this is some end of the world "ITS ALL GONNA BE NOVELS FROM NOW ON" thing.
the team blatantly saying they don't plan on animations (so no [S] scenes, animations, games, etc. which is IMO how Homestuck tends to be so charming)

the long answer: maybe? there won’t be any flashes, but this doesn’t rule out the prospect of animation and/or music altogether.

i'm not a gigantic fan of once a month updates either but i don't think requesting to be compensated for your work is something that should be frowned upon. these people need to eat because starved corpses can't make homestuck.
forced gender change inclusion just because it's the hot new thing IRL, 'cherub poison' suddenly appearing just to kill John despite never existing prior, not being an actual epilogue and instead focusing on around 7~ish characters and leaving out a huge majority of the cast etc,
god forbid people actually think it's worth focusing on social issues because they're important to them -- no, everything is a pessimistic grab for social capital. nobody has ever written about lgbt characters before 2019, especially not homestuck, which has a lesbian romance as one of its most deeply established canonical ships.
it's pretty heavily implied that dirk is literally making up cherub poison on the spot to kill john.
are you going to complain about the intermissions not actually being intermissions either? the character focus thing is a big /shrug imo. homestuck has never really cared about more than 12 ish characters at a time at most. any appearances to the contrary are joke characters not intended to be important.
The entire idea of 'let the fans write all canon homestuck' was stupid, and an awful, awful idea.
i just think this is a wrong opinion, but this isn't something that can really be swung one way or the other.
there still isn't any form of an upvote feature, so.
Upvote

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:46 am

deadlyAdder wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:33 am
classpectanon wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm

there still isn't any form of an upvote feature, so.
Upvote
upvote features are a plague on discussions

Alder

Post by Alder » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:15 am

Yeah, adding onto that the crew seems to be made up of unstable people. Looking at their twitters it's kind of hilariously bad how unprofessional they are

Mod Warning: Be respectful.

sacreligiousDelphi
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Seer of Time

Post by sacreligiousDelphi » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:19 am

Alder wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:15 am
Yeah, adding onto that the crew seems to be made up of unstable people. Looking at their twitters it's kind of hilariously bad how unprofessional they are
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Before we knew it, we became a hurricane, and the bugs who laughed got blown away as we proclaimed, "The Circle rules your life."

heroboof

Post by heroboof » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 am

Also if you're judging creators of Homestuck and Homestuck-related media on a metric of how "professional" they are, I have bad news for you about a certain Instagram eboy... I just don't think "professionalism" or "stability" are really relevant to being a Homestuck creator, given that one of the most well-known music contributors for Homestuck made a rock opera about... well, you know. And Homestuck's author is partly responsible for a thread on the original forums in which some of the Muppet Babies are put through SAW-esque torture.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:37 am

Yeah, there are a lot of things to be scared of with HS^2, cant blame you, I'm also afraid of what they're going to do now. But even then, I cant seem to care about it that much. For me homestuck ended when I watched the credits, this is something extra that I dont really have to take seriously if I dont like it or want to, just like the epilogues or PQ. Viewing it like that it's kind of clear why did they made all this "dubiously canon" and all that nonsense.

Also, Don't ask for upvotes you idiots they're a cancer.
:rosecool:

deadlyAdder
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by deadlyAdder » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:39 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:37 am
Yeah, there are a lot of things to be scared of with HS^2, cant blame you, I'm also afraid of what they're going to do now. But even then, I cant seem to care about it that much. For me homestuck ended when I watched the credits, this is something extra that I dont really have to take seriously if I dont like it or want to, just like the epilogues or PQ. Viewing it like that it's kind of clear why did they made all this "dubiously canon" and all that nonsense.

oh boy, using cancer as an insult. looks like the toxic people are already starting to leak into the forums.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 am

deadlyAdder wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:39 am
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:37 am

oh boy, using cancer as an insult. looks like the toxic people are already starting to leak into the forums.
Just looking at the definition given by google, ("Cancer is a group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to other parts of the body."), tell me how that is not an appropiate use of the word. The upvotes are something that decrement discussion by increasing the number of ways the users can interact with eachother, making said discussions stagnant at some points even.

So, yeah, it has some parallels.
:rosecool:

Endater
Classpect: Butt of Joke

Post by Endater » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:25 am

Alder wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:15 am

YOU
DO
NOT
HAVE
WHAT
IT
TAKES
TO
TALK
PROFESSIONALISM
WITH
ME.