Homestuck^2 Chapter 8: A Daughter Astray

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind
Moon: Derse

Homestuck^2 Chapter 8: A Daughter Astray

Post by pfeffer-29 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:23 pm

No thoughts on this because I haven't read it yet!
We have an update!!!!!
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

BrobyDDark

Re: Homestuck^2 Chapter 8: A Daughter Astray

Post by BrobyDDark » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Not liking Rose's new hair.

pfeffer-29

Post by pfeffer-29 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Me neither, man. It looks like it came from a dystopian version of the 90s. Also Rose's bangs are gone (or at least a lot shorter), which I find kind of weird because they're one of the few traits that distinguish her face from everyone else's.

And it's a bowl cut. There are a few people in the world who can pull bowl cuts off. Rose, unfortunately, is not one of them.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:04 pm

i like how we're beginning to see some of john in harry. and tavros in a somewhat significant interaction (god i hope he does important things later lol).

i agree about rose's hair though, and she seemed a little bit out of character from the few pages of her that we got.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:29 pm

overThinker wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:04 pm
i like how we're beginning to see some of john in harry. and tavros in a somewhat significant interaction (god i hope he does important things later lol).

i agree about rose's hair though, and she seemed a little bit out of character from the few pages of her that we got.
I wonder if its because her adoptive daughter is currently entrapped in this whole scenario that she feels is her fault. Cause, you know, THAT isn't gotten make even the great Rose to break down a bit.

pfeffer-29

Post by pfeffer-29 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Rose and Kanaya were definitely the weakest primary characters in this update, or at least they had the weakest dialogue. The exposition dumps which so plagued Dirk and Meat!Rose have infiltrated their speech as well. Their scene feels more like a first draft than a finished product, and other than their speech quirks being different, Rose and Kanaya are almost the same character. They're Concerned Moms and that's all there is to them here. They don't have any differing opinions.

I swapped their dialogue tags and speech tics here:

You Gotta Flip It Turn-Ways: HS^2 Edition

ROSE: Kanaya, our daughter is in danger and we are powerless to help her!
ROSE: I don't understand why this is happening or what precise series of events lead to this predicament, but I doubt they're directly or indirectly your fault!
ROSE: I feel like your apologizing is serving as the very baseless platitude which you sought to avoid!

KANAYA: No
KANAYA: I Know
KANAYA: I Know, Dear
KANAYA: I Just Wish I Had Answers!!
KANAYA: My Useless Powers Are Not Being Any Help, And Whats Worse
KANAYA: I Cant See ANYTHING Useful On This Stupid News Channel!!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:09 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Rose and Kanaya were definitely the weakest primary characters in this update, or at least they had the weakest dialogue. The exposition dumps which so plagued Dirk and Meat!Rose have infiltrated their speech as well. Their scene feels more like a first draft than a finished product, and other than their speech quirks being different, Rose and Kanaya are almost the same character. They're Concerned Moms and that's all there is to them here. They don't have any differing opinions.

ROSE: I don't understand why this is happening or what precise series of events lead to this predicament, but I doubt they're directly or indirectly your fault!
ROSE: I feel like your apologizing is serving as the very baseless platitude which you sought to avoid!

Doesn't work. Cause kanaya talking about her powers or lack thereof has never been brought up. And it makes more sense for rose to complain as her seer powers are flubbed in this seemingly locked timeline.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 pm

Also who the FUCK is yiffy?

Kidpen
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Seer of Mind

Post by Kidpen » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:32 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Excellent question.

Also I feel the need to say that I feel like the dialogue switch doesn't really work. They're not exactly distinct but they do talk differently.
the epilogues were good.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:33 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:09 pm
pfeffer-29 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Doesn't work. Cause kanaya talking about her powers or lack thereof has never been brought up. And it makes more sense for rose to complain as her seer powers are flubbed in this seemingly locked timeline.
their point still stands, though: neither characters did anything significant or unique to themselves, and the brief interaction shown did not advance the plot at all besides showing easily inferrable distress and a furry joke. it would have felt less meaningless if their interaction had substance beyond "oh no," but as is, it feels like something that epilogue candy john would complain about as meaningless. but this is definitely overly nitpicky so i'll just summarize that those few pages felt like filler.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Kidpen wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:32 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Excellent question.

Also I feel the need to say that I feel like the dialogue switch doesn't really work. They're not exactly distinct but they do talk differently.
Its either a pet, that for some reason Jane decided to attack a patrol party and kidnap, or its Jane's nickname for someone she knows.

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:01 pm

:(

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

pfeffer-29

Post by pfeffer-29 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:14 pm

I thought Yiffy might be a really horrible play on Vrissy. Why Jade would know Vrissy's recently-attributed nickname, I have no idea, but it sort of works!

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:58 pm

thorondraco wrote:
a literal yiff joke.
thorondraco wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm
Its either a pet, that for some reason Jane decided to attack a patrol party and kidnap
keep in mind, going by kanaya's question about where dave is, that this is the day he disappears.
:rosecool:

luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Post by luigi » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:42 pm

So this update is my fav so far.

John telling his son I AM SO PROUD of you made me do that fangirl thing where you shake your wrists really fast and go YEAAAAAAAAA.

Basically anything with John is my new favorite update 9/10 times. Oh except for the fact that they CUT ROSE'S HAIR REEEEEEEEEE. I fucking hate her new hair god damn it looks ugly she was so cute before.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:46 pm

luigi wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:42 pm
So this update is my fav so far.

John telling his son I AM SO PROUD of you made me do that fangirl thing where you shake your wrists really fast and go YEAAAAAAAAA.

Basically anything with John is my new favorite update 9/10 times. Oh except for the fact that they CUT ROSE'S HAIR REEEEEEEEEE. I fucking hate her new hair god damn it looks ugly she was so cute before.
she got a milf hairstyle cause she is a milf. Though i have this weird feeling that they still look twenty 5 or something.

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Alright overall. I ended up liking the dynamic between Vrissy and co. way more than I thought I would, and John in this update is a goddamn national treasure, if you'll pardon the pun.
Rose and Kanaya's designs are fucking disgusting, and that's really all I have to say on that.
And I thought the joke about Jade being a furry was kinda funny before, but Jane literally calling someone "Yiffy" goes from a humorous subtle nod to just being fucking stupid.
Alright overall. A step up from the last update but not by much. I'd be disappointed if we didn't get that fucking amazing album today as well.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:51 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:45 pm
Alright overall. I ended up liking the dynamic between Vrissy and co. way more than I thought I would, and John in this update is a goddamn national treasure, if you'll pardon the pun.
Rose and Kanaya's designs are fucking disgusting, and that's really all I have to say on that.
And I thought the joke about Jade being a furry was kinda funny before, but Jane literally calling someone "Yiffy" goes from a humorous subtle nod to just being fucking stupid.
Alright overall. A step up from the last update but not by much. I'd be disappointed if we didn't get that fucking amazing album today as well.
I think she is talking about a salamander. Yiffyiff. Though i was under the impression they didn't live very long but shrugs. If they live for twenty years that is sitll short.

So she was calling people Yiffy since the original story

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Well, this is proof that Gamzee's death and Vriska's presence creates a vacuum that sucks out my desire to live.

i wish rose had ears
only bad takes here

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:03 pm

Rose's haircut is cute.

Kanaya wearing her color as lipstick would work if it fit... anything else in her design. I like that a page proclaiming that Rose and Kanaya keep the rebellion dressed sharp has her clashing almost as bad as Terezi.
And Terezi at least has the excuse that she's fucking blind.

John being legitimately excited for something is still cute, although I feel like he's taking the situation a little too lightly. Getting caught hiding a body and sparking even more tension in a war environment goes a little beyond "epic pranks bro XD".

Not much else to say about this. Blah blah long-winded text blah. It sure is a Rosemary conversation.

Candy Jade continues to be as unlikable to me as she ever was.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]