Call for help: Tracks referenced in [S] MSPAR: Remember!

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
florrie
Pronouns: she/they!
Moon: Prospit

Call for help: Tracks referenced in [S] MSPAR: Remember!

Post by florrie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 am

I, unfortunately, am on a good day not that great at picking out the tracks referenced in a song. I have no hope against this one.

I've made a video of the song so it's easy to replay; it's not quite a perfect capture so if you want to gather perfect timestamps (def not expected), you should shift probably them back by about a second.

I'm going to be putting the Pesterquest songs onto hsmusic soon and I'd love to fit a reference list for this track!

(Here's James Roach's timestamps...for NORMAL SONG NAME. Alas. Still, it could be a handy reference.)
trans enby dog - she/they!

FrostyMac
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Call for help: Tracks referenced in [S] MSPAR: Remember!

Post by FrostyMac » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:50 am

Due to the jumbled nature of this track, it is very hard to put a finger on exact time stamps. I've seen some say that Rex Duodecim Angelus is referenced, but for some reason I just can't hear it. What I CAN hear, however, is Penumbra Phantasm. What is interesting to note is that the instrumentation and tone of the version of Penumbra Phantasm contained here is very reminiscent, but not the same, as the sound test versions of Penumbra Phantasm. This is interesting to note because it's clear we're listening to the actual track "Penumbra Phantasm" here, despite it being buried under two metric tons of other stuff, but it's a version we've never heard before. The implication is that Toby may have finally created a version of the track that he's satisfied with, and that we MAY (massive grain of salt here) get an official full release, presumably as part of Homestuck^2.

florrie

Post by florrie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:45 am

FrostyMac wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:50 am
The implication is that Toby may have finally created a version of the track that he's satisfied with, and that we MAY (massive grain of salt here) get an official full release, presumably as part of Homestuck^2.
This is absolutely wild theorycrafting, and I love it. Here's hoping!

Edit: btw, the drum beat of RDA is pretty audible from ~0:14 onward. (I'm pretty sure it continues throughout the track, but becomes more obscured around ~0:26.)

florrie

Post by florrie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Here's a version of MSPAR: Remember, reversed: https://florrie.ed1.club/stuff/mspar-re ... versed.mp3

There's a pretty clear reference to Unite Synchronization at the start and all through the song (which ties in nicely with Dirk's route featuring that track too); I can't pick anything else out, but maybe there are other reversed motifs too? Might be worth having a look again!