Roxy's sprite is here

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
thorondraco

Re: Roxy's sprite is here

Post by thorondraco » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 am

Khiara wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 am
ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 am
I don't know why they keep hiring this guy.
Idek dude. Haven's art style is actually fine... for some certain type of pop arts. But to work together with other artists in this kind of visual novel game? His artstyle would always looks clashing.

To be fair, his only art sprite I'm perfectly fine with is Nepeta's. His style fits her character quite well. Gamzee's also fine, although looking weird and squished but still matched his character. But Vriska's? Roxy's? That's way too far!
calamityCons wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:55 pm
I think the intended aesthetic is to resemble the kinky hair of a person with African ancestry.
Indeed. Looking at his twitter, Haven seems to be a proud "black artist".
Those are also the reasons why we would be accused as racists for criticizing Roxy's sprite. Good Lord. :jadesob:
It does look like the hair is between that kinky hair and hair seen in other cultures. Not quite as densely curled by far but definitely curlier than normal. African hair is much more densely curly compared ot this.
And honestly i can still see the hair being easily straightened out from all that.

I do have questions of her lip and nose shape though. I say she still looks a good bit like Rose and Dave, i see the resemblance, but compared to her Mom incarnation's appearance they don't seem entirely right. Its more than her not having a neutral expression like before i think. She almot looks like she hsa a bit of african in here.

then again i have long imagined that all the kids are multiracial. As in they literally all have a bit of all possible human races inside of their dna so it makes sense to me. But the issue is design consistency. She definitely still bears a resemblance to her ecto kids and is very cute but its the fact we have seen mom lalonde, who is supposed to be adult Roxy. Least that version shown looks more like an adult version of Rose than of this Roxy. to be fair that was a different artist but still.

Dunno. I have never been bothered by the kinda all over the place art design for pesterquest and friendsims and still am not, but this is a bit more iffy.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:48 am

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 pm
Here's a quickshit edit I did while warming up for drawing my own stuff.
Tried to retain her looking drunk and disheveled (which is why her hair is a hot mess), and I tried to retain some of Rose's PQ features, since they look so similar in the comic.

roxll.png

Ain't the best, but I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on dumb edits of a VN that's not even out yet lmao.
(Also the resolution on the image was itty itty bitty, which doesn't help anything.)
JESUS LORD THAT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath
Moon: Derse

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:28 am

Khiara wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 am
ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 am
I don't know why they keep hiring this guy.
Idek dude. Haven's art style is actually fine... for some certain type of pop arts. But to work together with other artists in this kind of visual novel game? His artstyle would always looks clashing.

To be fair, his only art sprite I'm perfectly fine with is Nepeta's. His style fits her character quite well. Gamzee's also fine, although looking weird and squished but still matched his character. But Vriska's? Roxy's? That's way too far!
This is what I meant to imply: His art isn't bad, in fact I'd say it's quite good under the right circumstances, but these are not the right circumstances. His artstyle is very unique and doesn't gel well with the already established artstyle. The only character I'd say it worked for is Nepeta, and maybe Gamzee.
It is disappointing that inevitably there's going to be a bunch of shit flinging from this point forward about what race Roxy is, despite the fact that the kids are implicitly a-racial. It's like the "I feel so caucasian" debacle all over again.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

SwizzlyBubbles
Classpect: Knight of Hope

Post by SwizzlyBubbles » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 am

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 pm
Here's a quickshit edit I did while warming up for drawing my own stuff.
Tried to retain her looking drunk and disheveled (which is why her hair is a hot mess), and I tried to retain some of Rose's PQ features, since they look so similar in the comic.

roxll.png

Ain't the best, but I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on dumb edits of a VN that's not even out yet lmao.
(Also the resolution on the image was itty itty bitty, which doesn't help anything.)
"Ain't the best?" Nah man, I'm sorry, but: that looks a million times better.

No disrespect to the original artist; their other stuff works fine in that style (hell, I think their Gamzee/Nepeta is pretty spot-on, despite what others may say ITT), but that straight-up is what I'd imagine Roxy's Pesterquest sprite to look like. Everything just feels more consistent with the character's design and...backstory, I guess is that right word? It makes her more closely resemble the current Mom LaLonde sprite already in Pesterquest, she looks closer to Rose (ecto)biologically speaking while still retaining enough of her own features to differentiate the two, and the hair looks more like disheveled drunk hair instead of the more cotton-y African style they were going for. In fairness to the artist: had Roxy been portrayed as their headcanon version in PQ, their version would definitely work much better at keeping her distinctly Roxy, but as it stands, it just doesn't translate well with the normal coloring/aesthetic of PQ.

It's the same issue I had with his Vriska where her sprite felt incredibly squished and angular (like the weird offspring of Undyne from Undertale and an abstract art piece), only here it's made even more prominent because of already existing artwork of her and her relationship to Rose.
:candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn:
fuck shit all this candy corn is in the narrative god fucking dammit
:candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: