Chapter 3 is out my dudes

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
thorondraco

Re: Chapter 3 is out my dudes

Post by thorondraco » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:05 pm
THEY'RE WEARING EACH OTHER'S SHIRTS

I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE THIS SAVED ME
If Meulin could see this she would unleas the vast SQUEE, which would deafen all.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 pm

This update was bland.

It was nice seeing Kanaya again though, and the start was funny.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:34 am

Kidpen wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:09 pm
I'm glad we're getting a lot of variety in terms of character focus
I'm not. It's not that satisfying to wonder what's going to happen when there's so many more perspectives we have to loop through (I think there's at least Aradia and Candy Dave? But there's probably even more than that) before we get back to whatever character we're invested in, even if it's all of them. It's not so much about the monthly/fortnightly update schedule as it is the inability to adjust its formula to it. There's no suspense to it. I'd like for a warning to which perspective the next chapter will be about, but even that would be a band-aid to the bigger problem.

Maybe that's because it's just getting started? But that's all the more reason to establish the through line. I can't say I don't care about what happens to these characters, but flipping around at this snails' pace punishes me for doing so. I've unsubscribed from the Patreon, hoping that doing so will encourage me to let the updates build up before I think about Homestuck^2 again. Maybe I'll start reading fanfic? Or writing my own? I don't know what will happen.
only bad takes here

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind
Moon: Derse

Post by pfeffer-29 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:51 am

Pros:
I found the Davekat to be readable, which is a far cry from how it was in Meat. Good for you, writers.
The Dave/Kanaya feelings jam was adorable and heartbreaking. Also, it was nice seeing Dave interact with someone other than Karkat.
Less text walls! There were some, but not as many as before!
The art is good. I do miss the sharp-edged forced perspective of Homestuck, but the lighting and the colors are real nice.

Cons:
God dammit Jade is still useless. Jegus cripes. It would be nice if she could wake up, even if it were only for one interaction, only for her to comically drift off into a floating ghost coma again--or maybe the characters could talk about her more, instead of mentioning her once. Give Jade agency! Let her be a character and not a plot device! I don't care that "it makes sense because space players are lonely"; that's no excuse to expel Jade from the story!
Roxy is officially an eboy and I'm not sure I like it. Hussie's sickness is spreading. First Harry Anderson, and now Roxy. Homestuck will become Eboy Webcomic soon. There is no escape.
Roxy's and Karkat's interaction felt bland. Karkat was mildly frustrated and Roxy nearly emotionless, which is a shame considering how well Dave and Kanaya worked together.
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 am

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:51 am
Pros:
I found the Davekat to be readable, which is a far cry from how it was in Meat. Good for you, writers.
The Dave/Kanaya feelings jam was adorable and heartbreaking. Also, it was nice seeing Dave interact with someone other than Karkat.
Less text walls! There were some, but not as many as before!
The art is good. I do miss the sharp-edged forced perspective of Homestuck, but the lighting and the colors are real nice.

Cons:
God dammit Jade is still useless. Jegus cripes. It would be nice if she could wake up, even if it were only for one interaction, only for her to comically drift off into a floating ghost coma again--or maybe the characters could talk about her more, instead of mentioning her once. Give Jade agency! Let her be a character and not a plot device! I don't care that "it makes sense because space players are lonely"; that's no excuse to expel Jade from the story!
Roxy is officially an eboy and I'm not sure I like it. Hussie's sickness is spreading. First Harry Anderson, and now Roxy. Homestuck will become Eboy Webcomic soon. There is no escape.
Roxy's and Karkat's interaction felt bland. Karkat was mildly frustrated and Roxy nearly emotionless, which is a shame considering how well Dave and Kanaya worked together.
Could have been that the two of them don't get super along yet. Though roxy can be pretty hard to reader sometimes, has an issue with making his opinions heard. always has.

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:54 am

thorondraco wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 am
Could have been that the two of them don't get super along yet. Though roxy can be pretty hard to reader sometimes, has an issue with making his opinions heard. always has.
I don't think the characters not getting along or Roxy being shy is a good excuse for boring interactions. It's more of a writing problem. They certainly weren't unreadable, which was good, but it didn't feel like much was happening in their conversation.
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:31 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:54 am
thorondraco wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 am
I don't think the characters not getting along or Roxy being shy is a good excuse for boring interactions. It's more of a writing problem. They certainly weren't unreadable, which was good, but it didn't feel like much was happening in their conversation.
It defintiely felt more awkward. Though maybe it was meant to be awkward. Roxie doesn't like telling people what they should think or say, and didn't expect a question about pancakes to turn into that. But it still means that not much is going on still.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 pm

Something being meant to be a certain way doesn't make it more interesting or better than what it was before that consideration is made. I think that's something that applies to Homestuck and its spin-offs as a whole.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm

I agree with egg. Just because an artist intends for a certain thing to be conveyed doesn't mean they necessarily succeeded, or that the product they create will be of value to everyone. If a studio made a film intended to discuss something like mundanity or boredom, and then showed a film staring at a blank street sign for two hours while interesting and unusual cars zipped by, it would be a really badly made movie as well as failing to convey what was intended.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:55 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm
I agree with egg. Just because an artist intends for a certain thing to be conveyed doesn't mean they necessarily succeeded, or that the product they create will be of value to everyone. If a studio made a film intended to discuss something like mundanity or boredom, and then showed a film staring at a blank street sign for two hours while interesting and unusual cars zipped by, it would be a really badly made movie as well as failing to convey what was intended.
That is a fair accessment, though personal opinions also apply. You ain't wrong even though i feel it was handled decently.

Think it ultimately handles having a very sad and morose feeling without it being extremely overwhelming like it was in the epilogues. There is a greater balance here.

Blob55

Post by Blob55 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Yeah, this update made me throw up.

Dave is clearly full of shit.
Karkat is bragging about how great everything is, without realizing how terrible Jane is for Earth.
Jade isn't even a character.
Roxy is out of it.
Kanaya is Rose.

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Blob55 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 pm
Yeah, this update made me throw up.

Karkat is bragging about how great everything is, without realizing how terrible Jane is for Earth.
Roxy is out of it.
Kanaya is Rose.
This is a weird metric since I agree with almost everything here but I think it's a good thing. Different strokes, I guess.
Only cuties survive the near future

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Blob55 wrote:

Roxy is out of it.
Kanaya is Rose.
Jade being robbed of any and all agency as a person has been a thing since her character was introduced, and has only continued to be more egregious as time progresses.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
I think it's kind of weird how people will equate Jade's consciousness being held hostage by Alt Calliope as "being useless." I mean... yeah? Things aren't going great for her. I might even agree with what you guys are saying if you would use a different word. I'd say Alt Calliope considers her utility as a meat puppet to be much greater than Jade's utility as a person, so, uh, gross? I don't need her to be useful, because that would require the team actually having an objective, but I do need her to be happy. I mean, I don't need that, not right away. I just think it'd be nice.

Also, remember who said "space players are lonely"? Alt Calliope. Kanaya never knocks out, so maybe Alt Calliope just said that to be terrible.

At least we now know why Lord English had to find and double-kill his sister. Aside from all the bad and evil things he did, Caliborn did nothing wrong.
pfeffer-29 wrote:
The heart glasses aren't even Hussie's idea. That's just how everyone drew him in fanart for some reason. Roxy's hair is just Dave's hair with Roxy's swirl. So I have to ask
VASKA wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm
This is a weird metric since I agree with almost everything here but I think it's a good thing. Different strokes, I guess.
How did you interpret "Kanaya is Rose?"
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 pm

egg wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 pm
Blob55 wrote:

Roxy is out of it.
Kanaya is Rose.
Jade being robbed of any and all agency as a person has been a thing since her character was introduced, and has only continued to be more egregious as time progresses.
They better have a moment where jade just straight up has ENOUGH of that. Have a scene where you see jade visibly fighting for control over her own body, cause she is tired of being used. She is probably more or less willing but i imagine Calliope hasn't left her body in years and it is really fuckin freaky. One day just pushes Calliope out irregardless of the consequences, just wants to be free damnit!

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 pm

I agree with both thoron and egg on Jade's situation. She's done everything in her life to benefit and support the efforts of everyone but herself, whether it be the prophecies of Skaia, the weight of heroism placed on her by Prospit, her herculean efforts to keep her session going as smoothly as possible and literally ALL of the magic space shit she did in Cascade to save everyone she possibly could. She does all of this shit and her reward is to be alone and suffer 5ever. Thanks, I hate it.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 pm
I agree with both thoron and egg on Jade's situation. She's done everything in her life to benefit and support the efforts of everyone but herself, whether it be the prophecies of Skaia, the weight of heroism placed on her by Prospit, her herculean efforts to keep her session going as smoothly as possible and literally ALL of the magic space shit she did in Cascade to save everyone she possibly could. She does all of this shit and her reward is to be alone and suffer 5ever. Thanks, I hate it.
More like, i want to see her finally stop accepting her fate and do something about it. Payoff for everything she has endured, defiance to what paradox space wants for her to do.

Blob55

Post by Blob55 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 am

egg wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 pm
Blob55 wrote:

Roxy is out of it.
Kanaya is Rose.
Which is why I HC Candy Jade as someone who'll do something even more important that coma and dead Jade, to show she is worthwhile as a person.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:33 pm

I just noticed that Jade's head exorcist turns in this chapter... Yea nice to make everyone not totally unsettled, Calliope, emphasize that you demonically body-snatched her.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:01 pm

Here is my question about the comic going forward. Will we be sticking to certain story points and go in order? Or as we are now getting 2 updates monthly unless the patreon tanks, will they jump between these currently disparate story beats?

To reference we may have at least 3 points of view. Team dirk, Candy drama rama, and now we have a peak of the going on with team GIVE ME MY FUCKIN WIFE, or GMMFW. Hoewver i feel like we won't see tooo much of Team Dirk. So that leaves gmmfw and Drama rama as the focuses. Will we just see more of one or will we peak into both stories at once?