In Defense of the Homestuck Patreon

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
Barraskewda

Re: In Defense of the Homestuck Patreon

Post by Barraskewda » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Auntie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm
So, they aren't full time jobs. Did I feel like the update was less than I wanted? Sure, but perspective is a thing. Like it or don't, but randos on the internet aren't entitled to be the backseat driver to the finances of folks who are, to most fans, near strangers.
Yes, I am entitled because this is how patreon works. I pay a monthly fee to see how things are going and to receive the product that I ASKED FOR and are currently GIVING YOU MONTHLY MOOLAH for. In return all that I ask for is just consistent updates on how you're spending the time and money, it is a codependent relationship. Even the shoddiest patreon accounts in the world understand this and still give you weekly to bi-weekly updates on their products. There is however, one exception to this rule.

Tip Jars.

Tip Jar patreons are exactly that, you give a tip every month to thank the person for their work that you enjoy, nothing added, nothing gained, nothing lost, however, the big problem here is that HS' patreon is not advertised as a tip jar, its advertised as a way to get more content, more updates and more stuff in general, so if they want to treat it as such, they better damn well talk to me to make sure they get to keep treating it as such.
192 ATK, 206 SPD and guaranteed to fuck you up

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Hopefully it convinces some people on the fence to support it and alleviates some worries others had. No quieting the naysayers though. They were the first to jump on the reddit post about it.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Barraskewda wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:14 pm
Yes, because indie projects clearly state what their goals are, and from this recent patreon post it comes forward that its funding other WP projects as well, what if someone didn't WANT that? Yes there is a very similar team but please think about how it comes off if you cant choose where your money is going to. I don't want to pledge to hiveswap products because I backed the kickstarter and thought the game was bad. I WAS interested in HS^2 because I enjoyed the epilogues and what I'm reading so far. So having the money I would have pledged go to something I wouldn't want it to go to makes me upset.
Make sure no one tells this guy about taxes
Image Perfection.

Ralsei
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: rogue of hope
Moon: Prospit

Post by Ralsei » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:04 am

Barraskewda wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:28 pm
Auntie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm
So, they aren't full time jobs. Did I feel like the update was less than I wanted? Sure, but perspective is a thing. Like it or don't, but randos on the internet aren't entitled to be the backseat driver to the finances of folks who are, to most fans, near strangers.
Yes, I am entitled because this is how patreon works. I pay a monthly fee to see how things are going and to receive the product that I ASKED FOR and are currently GIVING YOU MONTHLY MOOLAH for. In return all that I ask for is just consistent updates on how you're spending the time and money, it is a codependent relationship. Even the shoddiest patreon accounts in the world understand this and still give you weekly to bi-weekly updates on their products. There is however, one exception to this rule.

Tip Jars.

Tip Jar patreons are exactly that, you give a tip every month to thank the person for their work that you enjoy, nothing added, nothing gained, nothing lost, however, the big problem here is that HS' patreon is not advertised as a tip jar, its advertised as a way to get more content, more updates and more stuff in general, so if they want to treat it as such, they better damn well talk to me to make sure they get to keep treating it as such.
Technically you're not paying for HS^2 updates. Those would happen whether or not you're pledging. You're paying for bonus content and possibly for behind-the-scenes stuff.
check out my website vriskadidnothingwrong.com

Barraskewda

Post by Barraskewda » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm
Make sure no one tells this guy about taxes
Usually when you're making a patreon your first impression shouldn't be that of "this is exactly like my taxes". seems like a PRETTY BIG NO-NO.
192 ATK, 206 SPD and guaranteed to fuck you up

rubs juice
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Page of Mind
Moon: Derse

Post by rubs juice » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:44 pm

Barraskewda wrote:
Yes, because indie projects clearly state what their goals are, and from this recent patreon post it comes forward that its funding other WP projects as well, what if someone didn't WANT that?
Then don't give money to the patreon. They're as transparent as they need to be -- they're saying exactly to whom and where the money is going to. If you don't want to support any of the things that will be supported by the patreon, then you don't have to pledge. Nobody's holding a gun to your head and saying "you WILL patron HS² and HiveSwap".
I'm sorry if you want to support one of the projects and not the other. This patreon is for both of them (and others), so logically speaking, if you don't want to patron one of them, you just cancel your patronage, and that does mean not patroning the other. It's awfully entitled to believe that an indie team has to do EXACTLY what you want because you're helping support them, because you're not a commissioner (despite what the $200 dollar tier says); you're someone who's supporting them with your money because they did something you like, not because you're paying them to do something you want. There's a clear difference there and you have to understand that.

HS² is, so far being treated as a side project because they can't afford to make it their main project. If they could, I guarantee you, there wouldn't be any patreon. The goal of the patreon isn't to leech off money from the fans and deliver a shitty product that they don't wanna spend too much time on, the goal of the patreon is gather funds so they can EVENTUALLY make this side project a main project. This is true and obvious for youtubers, and it should be true and obvious for other kinds of content-makers.

Of course I'm a bit upset for the lack of content, for the wait, for the slow pace the story is going. But I also need to understand that making content like this is draining, and it needs to be planned well, worked on with detail, and to juggle that with other means so you can fend off for yourself is hard. I wish it was different for them, but it isn't, so as long as it isn't, I'll support and defend their right to have a patreon to continue with the official homestuck content.
Mafa || Page of Mind
Carapacian Rights Advocate || Writer of worldbuilding headcanons
[[visit my AO3 here]]
Check out my fanventure! Click on the banner <3

Mentok Thief of Mind
Pronouns: EEEEooo/eeeeOOO

Post by Mentok Thief of Mind » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:45 pm

egg wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:17 pm
Have we not learnt anything from Hiveswap? The teams assembled for official Homestuck content have always had severe management issues.
Man, this x1000000000

I think the #1 problem with the Homestuck Patreon is that it's now funding Hiveswap yet again. Hiveswap is a black hole for funding. I would rather Huss have admitted it failed, abandoned it, and moved on making better/different content in or out of HS-verse.
rubs juice wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:44 pm
HS² is, so far being treated as a side project because they can't afford to make it their main project. If they could, I guarantee you, there wouldn't be any patreon. The goal of the patreon isn't to leech off money from the fans and deliver a shitty product that they don't wanna spend too much time on, the goal of the patreon is gather funds so they can EVENTUALLY make this side project a main project. This is true and obvious for youtubers, and it should be true and obvious for other kinds of content-makers.
Yeah, and they can't afford it because Hiveswap basically. PQ at the right pricepoint could be self-sustaining.

All of this speaks to exceptionally poor (repeated) management and/or allocation of funds.
:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:
MIND-TAKING!
ACCEPT! NO! SUBSTITUTES!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:24 pm

rubs juice wrote:
Barraskewda wrote:
Yes, because indie projects clearly state what their goals are, and from this recent patreon post it comes forward that its funding other WP projects as well, what if someone didn't WANT that?
Then don't give money to the patreon. They're as transparent as they need to be -- they're saying exactly to whom and where the money is going to. If you don't want to support any of the things that will be supported by the patreon, then you don't have to pledge. Nobody's holding a gun to your head and saying "you WILL patron HS² and HiveSwap".
I'm sorry if you want to support one of the projects and not the other. This patreon is for both of them (and others), so logically speaking, if you don't want to patron one of them, you just cancel your patronage, and that does mean not patroning the other. It's awfully entitled to believe that an indie team has to do EXACTLY what you want because you're helping support them, because you're not a commissioner (despite what the $200 dollar tier says); you're someone who's supporting them with your money because they did something you like, not because you're paying them to do something you want. There's a clear difference there and you have to understand that.

Of course I'm a bit upset for the lack of content, for the wait, for the slow pace the story is going. But I also need to understand that making content like this is draining, and it needs to be planned well, worked on with detail, and to juggle that with other means so you can fend off for yourself is hard. I wish it was different for them, but it isn't, so as long as it isn't, I'll support and defend their right to have a patreon to continue with the official homestuck content.
I don't get with the idea of a 'slow pace' there. Its literally the beginning of the story right now and setting the groundwork. And its obviously gonna be a pretty big thing so they need the groundwork going. Maybe it would have been better to have all the ground work ready but with that it could give the wrong impression of the pace they were going for. Like they had all these set up chapters ready at once, like a hundred pages, but then the next update was like 30 or 25.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Mentok Thief of Mind wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:45 pm
egg wrote:
Have we not learnt anything from Hiveswap? The teams assembled for official Homestuck content have always had severe management issues.
Man, this x1000000000

I think the #1 problem with the Homestuck Patreon is that it's now funding Hiveswap yet again. Hiveswap is a black hole for funding. I would rather Huss have admitted it failed, abandoned it, and moved on making better/different content in or out of HS-verse.
rubs juice wrote:
Yeah, and they can't afford it because Hiveswap basically. PQ at the right pricepoint could be self-sustaining.

All of this speaks to exceptionally poor (repeated) management and/or allocation of funds.
No they are funding Hiveswap relatively well, but the patreon could ultimately end up helping to pay for Hiveswap too.

Hussie obviously thinks Hiveswap is important if he is hell bent on its continuation. And maybe it is to what he has planned with Homestuck^2 so he is like 'i am getting this shit done'

Would also argue it would really harm the fandom if he gave up on it. and would be admitting defeat to the assholes that stole the money too.

Dream Muttman

Post by Dream Muttman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:24 pm
rubs juice wrote:
Barraskewda wrote:
Snip
Snip
I don't get with the idea of a 'slow pace' there. Its literally the beginning of the story right now and setting the groundwork. And its obviously gonna be a pretty big thing so they need the groundwork going. Maybe it would have been better to have all the ground work ready but with that it could give the wrong impression of the pace they were going for. Like they had all these set up chapters ready at once, like a hundred pages, but then the next update was like 30 or 25.
Personally I would've preferred if they just dropped us into the story without setup. So far it doesn't seem like any of it is necessary. Most of what's been explained could've served as twists later.
Witness my golem:
:candy: :meat: :candy:
:candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn:

Has it grown since you last saw it?

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:32 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 pm
egg wrote:
Man, this x1000000000

rubs juice wrote:

No they are funding Hiveswap relatively well, but the patreon could ultimately end up helping to pay for Hiveswap too. The did a report on their patreon that says that they managed to start paying the peeps involved, in general, more moneys.

Hussie obviously thinks Hiveswap is important if he is hell bent on its continuation. And maybe it is to what he has planned with Homestuck^2 so he is like 'i am getting this shit done'

Would also argue it would really harm the fandom if he gave up on it. and would be admitting defeat to the assholes that stole the money too.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Dream Muttman wrote:
thorondraco wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:24 pm
rubs juice wrote:

Snip
Personally I would've preferred if they just dropped us into the story without setup. So far it doesn't seem like any of it is necessary. Most of what's been explained could've served as twists later.
I was expecting that myself. But we will have to see what their intentions are here and how they are setting up the story. We might not see Dirk for a while. We could see him next update. Or we could see Terezi on the planet trying to clone John for all we know. And then there is the question of when we see the session. Said session would be lacking a certain amount of mystery of course cause we know Dirk is behind it.

Mentok Thief of Mind

Post by Mentok Thief of Mind » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:42 pm

thorondraco wrote:
egg wrote:
Man, this x1000000000

rubs juice wrote:

No they are funding Hiveswap relatively well, but the patreon could ultimately end up helping to pay for Hiveswap too.

They stated in their post that currently the Patreon is funding Hiveswap.
MIND-TAKING!
ACCEPT! NO! SUBSTITUTES!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:42 pm
thorondraco wrote:

Man, this x1000000000

They stated in their post that currently the Patreon is funding Hiveswap.
You know its weird what people read when they are hellbent about something being a certain way? Cause the patreon said that the patreon has helped everyone working on What pumpkin stuff, like the videogames, get more money. And that the same people who are working on Homestuck^2 are in fact working on those other projects. Not that the funding was being funneled directly to Hiveswap.

its the same with a lot of people on the reddit who read that statement. They saw 'this is all going to just Hiveswap development you fools' and not, like, what it actually said.

Mentok Thief of Mind

Post by Mentok Thief of Mind » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Listen, I get the point of this thread is to defend the Patreon.

I don't attack or resent its existence. If folks want to donate, great!

But don't try to tell me it's not funding Hiveswap development. I wasn't born yesterday and the baby was not, in fact, me.
MIND-TAKING!
ACCEPT! NO! SUBSTITUTES!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:01 pm
Listen, I get the point of this thread is to defend the Patreon.

I don't attack or resent its existence. If folks want to donate, great!

But don't try to tell me it's not funding Hiveswap development. I wasn't born yesterday and the baby was not, in fact, me.
Well then its fortunate that i didn't say it wasn't funding it and actually said they weren't putting all the resources they are gaining into it.

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

Post by classpectanon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 pm

Thread locked. I can’t see this thread continuing along in a productive, non-speculationy, non-aggressive manner, so I’m shutting it down here.
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.