11/23/19 upd8 thread

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
thorondraco

Re: 11/23/19 upd8 thread

Post by thorondraco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:25 am

bathtimebird wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:15 am
this update was pretty boring ngl
We are currently in the set up phase for the story. We either get more Candy timeline next month or possibly we see what is going on in the Alpha with the Meat team.

Basically we are in the equivalent of seeing the Young Man standing in his bedroom. But a little bit more going on. Establishing Jake making a choice, being a spy, and the issues he is going through. Its definitely not as grand as Dirk hurtling towards a planet so he can hijack its sburb session but it makes sense for Candy.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:28 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:24 am
thorondraco wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 am
Hell far as we know the Troll world that gets nuked by the male cherub was in its sburb phase but the Cherub played the part of an extinction event.
and as far as we know john was born with three legs, the third one just happened to be obscured by his right leg in every panel he's in.
in what's given to us by the epilogues and homestuck 2, it seems much more likely the trolls in uc are the ones that were brought there.

now for something actually about the update that's been on my mind: they're just showing us what the characters look like now? this didn't register as a big deal to me in the first update since dirk's story was obviously going to be expanded upon at some point and i didn't rank it high on my list of likelihoods that we'd ever go back and look at the other residents of new earth, but now that they're just going Hey This Is What Jake Looked Like In The Epilogues it feels like they're collapsing some of what the epilogues were, in a way. don't get me wrong, i love the art, i've got no problem with h2 being illustrated. it's more that h2 is now obviously just "the sequel to the epilogues", and in that respect the epilogues are now just... a couple dozen pages of homestuck that have no panels, for no discernible reason. it would make more sense to stick with either "prose/comic hybrid" like homestuck was or the "we're leaving the characters up to your imaginations now" aspect of the epilogues imo.
They did it to parody Fanfiction tropes, and also because the rivaling Narrators were still new to it. Dirk skipped three years in order to develop his art skills. We don't know if Dirk is also drawing the epilogues. However it is interesting to note that no part of this was drawn in Sprite form. Instead going for actually drawn shit.

dualfallen
Classpect: Witch of Rage
Moon: Derse

Post by dualfallen » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 am

thorondraco wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:25 am
bathtimebird wrote:
Basically we are in the equivalent of seeing the Young Man standing in his bedroom.
That's all I really wanted though! I was so sure we'd get to see the new race, a new character of the new planet, something interesting to think about and instead it just contains jake, brain ghost dirk, jane, and saying "come back in 30 days, maybe you'll get something cool then!"

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:24 am

dualfallen wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 am
thorondraco wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:25 am
bathtimebird wrote:
Basically we are in the equivalent of seeing the Young Man standing in his bedroom.
That's all I really wanted though! I was so sure we'd get to see the new race, a new character of the new planet, something interesting to think about and instead it just contains jake, brain ghost dirk, jane, and saying "come back in 30 days, maybe you'll get something cool then!"
I have this weird feeling they will cycle between three stories. Dirk's, Candy's, and then Meat's. I won't lie i am more curious about what is going on in meat than candy but they chose candy this time around. Some canon leaking back into their world.

We could stay in candy for a while i guess. I actually wonder if they will be weird and meant will be like Chapter 2 or something.

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Post by TC » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:48 am

I wanted to see the new aliens!
But then I saw Jake and I was like "This is fine, Jake and John's relationship was one of the best parts of the candy timeline and it means we'll get to see what Tavros Crocker looks like."
And then there was no John or Tavros. I am very sad! This is my face. :jadesob:
ImageImageImage

Royaute
Classpect: Waste of Time

Post by Royaute » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:33 am

Oh my fucking God, we're in the Candy universe (again).

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:24 am

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:43 pm
The art is really pretty. I dislike literally everything else about it, like the long-winded and unnecessary narration or the whole ass negative number of fucks I give about Dirk and Jake, but god DAMN that is some really well-made art and the color theory is off the charts.
dont giving a fuck about Jake is the only good angle about this character.
:rosecool:

nonsenseMnemonic
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nonsenseMnemonic » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:58 pm

I really like HS^2's art, generally more than Homestuck's. I liked this update a lot, was really glad to see another version of Dirk, thought most of the jokes were funny etc. It wasn't at all unreasonably short and not more boring than any other setup stuff, idk. It was nice to go back to some lighter dialogue and shorter paragraphs after Dirk's endless prattling in the Epis & first HS^2 update.

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:06 am

I like that we're going to get art for the updates, and I hope we get to see more art for content related to the epilogues.

I guess I'm a bit greedy though, because I really wanted MORE of an update. I am filled to the brim with excitement that Homestuck is making a comeback in a big way, and was waiting all month for more Homestuck, so I'm a bit bummed that it's such a small amount of content. I understand the staff is spreading themselves around with Pesterquest and Hiveswap Act 2, so it makes sense that the update wouldn't be that big, but I guess I was hoping for a bit more because. Hopefully with next month's update there will be more, but either way, I am happy. I like that we are seeing more from the candy route, and I hope we get some art for more of the characters. Right now there's a lot of art for Vriska, Harry, and Tavros, but nothing official, so that would be cool.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Drinosi wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:06 am
I like that we're going to get art for the updates, and I hope we get to see more art for content related to the epilogues.

I guess I'm a bit greedy though, because I really wanted MORE of an update. I am filled to the brim with excitement that Homestuck is making a comeback in a big way, and was waiting all month for more Homestuck, so I'm a bit bummed that it's such a small amount of content. I understand the staff is spreading themselves around with Pesterquest and Hiveswap Act 2, so it makes sense that the update wouldn't be that big, but I guess I was hoping for a bit more because. Hopefully with next month's update there will be more, but either way, I am happy. I like that we are seeing more from the candy route, and I hope we get some art for more of the characters. Right now there's a lot of art for Vriska, Harry, and Tavros, but nothing official, so that would be cool.
I imagine they have a big part to play, those three. God damn Serkets just can't leave well enough alone.

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:26 am

thorondraco wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 pm
God damn Serkets just can't leave well enough alone.

It wouldn't be Homestuck without the Serkets having their hands in the cookie jar.

I agree they will probably have a big part to play. Had their been a 4th kid, I might have even thought they would be the next players.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:43 pm

Drinosi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:26 am
thorondraco wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 pm
God damn Serkets just can't leave well enough alone.

It wouldn't be Homestuck without the Serkets having their hands in the cookie jar.

I agree they will probably have a big part to play. Had their been a 4th kid, I might have even thought they would be the next players.
The 4th one is Swifer Eggmop, the stealth 4th. Who wielding a laser mop into battle!

I suspect all serkets are still active in some way too. Including Aranea. The last time John punched a cerulean she didn't die and kinda stole the timeline for John. Question is where is Aranea?

I almost think that Vrisk Ml is actually aranea reborn but that is just be spitballing a bit. It would keep the serket levels down to two at least.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 pm

OKAY

So they just showed the bonus update for the 5 buck patreons. Is discussion about it allowed on the forums or this thread or not?

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:31 pm

WARNING THIS IS ME TALKING ABOUT THE BONUS UPDATE.

I am gonna say it is either Jasprose or Calliope behind this abduction, and this is possibly happening just as the others were leaving the planet, or shortly after. I do wonder why this is considered a 'bonus content' thing, but i suppose its because Jake and Jane, these incarnations at least, are out of the main story for the time being. Everyone else has gone off planet to hunt down Dirk and his group. But as they warn in the update, these stories may tie into the main story later on. This one, definitely. But others might just be cuter stuff. Here its showing that someone is acting to prevent a Candy repeat with Jane. A far less worse one, yes, but still controversial.

Also because a few people on reddit are confused, its obvious no one is kidnapping the 'Creators' here, is just that Team Meat left the planet without warning and it is now only Jake left.

REPEAT, THIS IS TALKING ABOUT THE BONUS UPDATE.

benni

Post by benni » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 am

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:19 pm
but this is a team of artists all working together and apparently not getting any money from their partnership with ViZ Media so I'm very suspicious.
I think the partnership is just regarding licensing for the books. I think thats all theyre funding.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:52 am

benni wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 am
calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:19 pm
but this is a team of artists all working together and apparently not getting any money from their partnership with ViZ Media so I'm very suspicious.
I think the partnership is just regarding licensing for the books. I think thats all theyre funding.
I think it might have some things to do with the Hiveswap game. Dunno if it does anymore cause the rather large delay for Hiveswap Act 2 has been connected to a layoff connected to Viz. Hussie might have broken off from them.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:29 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:31 pm

Thought it was pretty interesting all the other creators left already. We know Dirk died, but that means all 4 beta kids, 2 1 alpha kid, and 12 trolls just fucked off somewhere. This is still Candy after all, so this version of John is still alive, and the fact that we're seeing Candy in an update means the timelines will cross even heavier than they have before. AKA one of our Johns is still alive, and could be considered a threat to Dirk. It also makes me wonder where everyone else went- even all twevle trolls are gone.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:38 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:29 pm
thorondraco wrote:

Thought it was pretty interesting all the other creators left already. We know Dirk died, but that means all 4 beta kids, 2 1 alpha kid, and 12 trolls just fucked off somewhere. This is still Candy after all, so this version of John is still alive, and the fact that we're seeing Candy in an update means the timelines will cross even heavier than they have before. AKA one of our Johns is still alive, and could be considered a threat to Dirk. It also makes me wonder where everyone else went- even all twevle trolls are gone.
...... Dude that is the primary timeline we saw. Because Jane was becoming president....

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:38 pm
rookie1978 wrote:
thorondraco wrote:

...... Dude that is the primary timeline we saw. Because Jane was becoming president....
The most recent update takes place on Earth C in the Candy timeline. The first Homestuck 2 update was in the Meat timeline. The fact that we're returning to Candy at all means there's going to be some kind of merge, otherwise it'd be pointless.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:20 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:38 pm
rookie1978 wrote:

The most recent update takes place on Earth C in the Candy timeline. The first Homestuck 2 update was in the Meat timeline. The fact that we're returning to Candy at all means there's going to be some kind of merge, otherwise it'd be pointless.
WEll i was talking about the bonus update there and did the whole spoiler bar thing because not everyone can read it atm.

But yea it was obvious since the beginning that Candy will probably have a larger part to play overall.