Theory: Lord English's "poison"

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
Robot_Face
Pronouns: They/them
Classpect: Mage of Mind
Moon: Derse

Theory: Lord English's "poison"

Post by Robot_Face » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:50 pm

So the metaphysical poison which killed Meat John. What was it? It had never been mentioned up until that point.
At first I thought it was dirk using his narrative powers to retcon that into being true. (Using something closer to the real life definition of "retcon," not the in-universe retcon powers.)
But I just realized...
It's the exact mirror of something else we've seen in the comic. Another poison mentioned VERY early on, which is never relevant or even mentioned again.
John's peanut allergy.
How poetic would it be if it came up exactly twice - once at the very beginning and once at the very end? Like a pair of jaws enclosing his entire life.
ARquiusprite enclosed
Show

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: Theory: Lord English's "poison"

Post by RoyalFiddle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Well, the Egbert peanut allergy didn't come up again for John, sure, but it did come up for Jake and Jane, so I dunno if that's it chief. I think it either existed all along and we didn't know about it or Dirk was already working to destroy anyone else who could control the narrative. See, I personally think that Dirk's goal ultimately is to go beyond the confines of Homestuck and "Kill" the What Pumpkin Team, or even, do so and then realize that that's just another layer of the Narrative and that Dirk can never truly stop anyone else from controlling the Narrative
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Robot_Face wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:50 pm
So the metaphysical poison which killed Meat John. What was it? It had never been mentioned up until that point.
At first I thought it was dirk using his narrative powers to retcon that into being true. (Using something closer to the real life definition of "retcon," not the in-universe retcon powers.)
But I just realized...
It's the exact mirror of something else we've seen in the comic. Another poison mentioned VERY early on, which is never relevant or even mentioned again.
John's peanut allergy.
How poetic would it be if it came up exactly twice - once at the very beginning and once at the very end? Like a pair of jaws enclosing his entire life.
caliborn fills his gold tooth with peanut for a divine sweet treat
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 pm

RoyalFiddle wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm
Well, the Egbert peanut allergy didn't come up again for John, sure, but it did come up for Jake and Jane, so I dunno if that's it chief. I think it either existed all along and we didn't know about it or Dirk was already working to destroy anyone else who could control the narrative. See, I personally think that Dirk's goal ultimately is to go beyond the confines of Homestuck and "Kill" the What Pumpkin Team, or even, do so and then realize that that's just another layer of the Narrative and that Dirk can never truly stop anyone else from controlling the Narrative
I think they are keeping what is call the Furthest meta, real world, separate from homestuck. Cause how the fuck would they implement that? Have a random twunk chase the what pumpkin crew across town with a cheap katana?

RoyalFiddle

Post by RoyalFiddle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 pm
I think they are keeping what is call the Furthest meta, real world, separate from homestuck. Cause how the fuck would they implement that? Have a random twunk chase the what pumpkin crew across town with a cheap katana?
I mean, why the fuck not that sounds amazing, and if Undertale can have an interactive play Homestuck can have Dirk just fuckin run Hussie through with a 5 dollar sord
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 pm

RoyalFiddle wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 pm
thorondraco wrote:
I mean, why the fuck not that sounds amazing, and if Undertale can have an interactive play Homestuck can have Dirk just fuckin run Hussie through with a 5 dollar sord
I am not saying it wouldn't be hilarious but it would kinda be really confusing.

Also i had the feeling that paradox space had John's number already and Dirk simply allowed him to die.

Cheshire_Creeper

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 pm

RoyalFiddle wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 pm
thorondraco wrote:
No
Hussie plays Dirk and shows up as an in-character twitter thread
Then, through MOVIE MAGIC, Eboy!Hussie and Dirk!Hussie face off on a twitch account set up for just this purpose.
Tell me you don't want that
I have an ill-advised plan...what else is new?
https://mspfa.com/user/?u=108518406857173018839

RoyalFiddle

Post by RoyalFiddle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Dude I do so bad
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 am

how could peanut alergy be so powerful to literally surpass the heroic/death system
:rosecool:

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 am
how could peanut alergy be so powerful to literally surpass the heroic/death system
Not to mention presumably make him unable to resurrect again.

Mentok Thief of Mind
Pronouns: EEEEooo/eeeeOOO

Post by Mentok Thief of Mind » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 pm

I interpreted it as just a somewhat dick-ish twist of the knife by Dirk. He had the power to let John live but wrote in some poison crap we'd never heard of before just to ensure it killed him and erased him from relevancy.

I think Dirk did that because he

1) Didn't understand John, who in many ways was diametrically opposed to him
2) Doesn't have time for characters he doesn't think are useful
3) Is a part of LE, or vice versa, or both, (or LE is a splinter of dirk's Ultself?) so maybe there's a slight grudge there
4) Retcon powers are useful to Dirk, but only in his hands. If he can't control them, they're basically his kryptonite over control, so. Best to get rid of them.
:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:
MIND-TAKING!
ACCEPT! NO! SUBSTITUTES!
:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Mentok Thief of Mind wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 pm
I interpreted it as just a somewhat dick-ish twist of the knife by Dirk. He had the power to let John live but wrote in some poison crap we'd never heard of before just to ensure it killed him and erased him from relevancy.

I think Dirk did that because he

1) Didn't understand John, who in many ways was diametrically opposed to him
2) Doesn't have time for characters he doesn't think are useful
3) Is a part of LE, or vice versa, or both, (or LE is a splinter of dirk's Ultself?) so maybe there's a slight grudge there
4) Retcon powers are useful to Dirk, but only in his hands. If he can't control them, they're basically his kryptonite over control, so. Best to get rid of them.
I think that generally Paradox space had John's number. His powers were uncontrollable and they nearly undid Homestuck itself by him not impulsively going after Caliborn. Alt Calloipe let him die.

Its more than just that John was a rival. He has no control of the power. Vriska senses it in Candy. Whatever the true nature of the Retcon powers, John has no idea how to control them and his influence affects everything around him, even in the Candy timeline.

Its possible whatever forces govern Paradox space deemed him to die. And Dirk simply played the part of executioner so he could influence the events for his own means.

Something to note though is that Dirk prevented John from being vored at least. So he needed John to make contact with Terezi. He needed John's body.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Okay i just posted here but i just had a thought. What if the 'poison' in question that killed John, was from the White Magnum Wand?

Presumably that white wand is where Lord english gets his immortal killing powers from. We see it, briefly, before he starts nuking ghosts and dream bubbles. considering his weapon eating rampage, its possible he swallowed the wand in order to give his energy blasts the power to kill the unkillable. Could be the gold tooth was 'coated' or somehow energized with the properties of the wand?

I say that because of the effect the White sword on English. It sizzled, described to be like Poison.

What if the reality of these weapons is their ability to poison the soul, perhaps even more than the soul, of an immortal? Maybe poison their ultimate self, cut them off from that abstract force? Perhaps it kills the ultimate self, perhaps it sickens it forever.

IT creates a strange parallel between Lord english and John. Both stabbed in the chest and poisoned, both finished before they even realized it.