THE DIRKCOURSE THREAD

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
warren

Re: THE DIRKCOURSE THREAD

Post by warren » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:21 pm

get dirkcourse to 3 pages
my thought is that princes within like actual royalty and stuff are held to high standards. youre gonna inherit the throoone blah blah so i feel like that idea of princes lends itself to the classes actions and set role. they Have to be the prince because nobody else can be
mage of hope :cool3d:

RoseBot
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Seer of Light
Moon: Derse

Post by RoseBot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Honestly, part of me wants Dirk to get chainsawed in half for fucking up Rosemary, but another part of me wants to see him redeemed, and see the fulfillment of his character arc from Homestuck proper. I want to see Roxy or come at him and just aggressively forgive him and make him understand how he fucked up. But I also really want to see Rosebot and Kanaya fucking rip him a new one.
ROSEBOT: That's one of the first things you just sort of spontaneously learn when being booted up.
ROSEBOT: For example, I've calculated that by making these remarks I have raised the base level of amusement in all my conversations by 36%.

warren

Post by warren » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 pm

oh absolutely. i cannot wait for justice to be served! im excited for davebot and the candy bunch to make their way over to meat to fuck shit up x2. davebot rosebot team id like to see it
mage of hope :cool3d:

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Post by TC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 am

KnightOfRage413 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 pm
Spicy Dirk Take: I liked his character pre Epilogues and the Epilogues kind of made me not like him as much.
Reverse. I found Dirk very boring and lame and dumb in Act 6 but the Epilogues made him a villain and gave him funny bants and that's epic. He's cool now. :cal:

Oh also Detective Pony and Theatre of Coolty are both Dirk-Centric masterpieces. What a lad he is.
ImageImageImage

barexamkind

Post by barexamkind » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:16 am

Does anyone else wonder if we'll be getting more Dirk outfits in HS^2?
What about new outfits for the rest of the Theseus crew?
for more bad takes and atrocious vibes, follow me on twitter!
https://twitter.com/barexamkind

Prime
Moon: Prospit

Post by Prime » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 am

TC wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 am
Oh also Detective Pony and Theatre of Coolty are both Dirk-Centric masterpieces. What a lad he is.
absolutely prophetic fanworks, but nobody could have seen the epilogues coming or homestuck^2 for that matter. retroactively working them into the extended canon dampens that awe a bit but it gave dirk as a character more than a bit of a boost for sure

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Post by TC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 am

Prime wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 am
retroactively working them into the extended canon dampens that awe a bit but it gave dirk as a character more than a bit of a boost for sure
I appreciate canonizing Detective Pony but the way they did it was incredibly unsubtle and forced. Instead of weaving in subtle references or callbacks to it they just had Terezi quote the most recognizable line of the book to blare it in the reader's face. Felt incredibly hamfisted. A very inappropriate time for ham, I might add, and fists for that matter.
ImageImageImage

bakedpotatocat

Post by bakedpotatocat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm

dirk actually hasnt done anything irredeemable yet. everything in the epilogues is calculated (in-character, as well!!!) to make us viscerally hate him but like, considering that these are a pantheon of gods that will live for centuries, i can see his logic. homestuck needs a shitty boy as a villain to function, and dirk stepped up. all of his crimes are firmly in the fixable relationship nature (if you assume that john is going to come back in some form, which i do)

ULTIMATE DISCOURSE CENTRISM: NEITHER DIRK NOR VRISKA HAVE DONE ANYTHING WRONG
call me bpc for short. they/them, poly aromantic sapphic, Sylph of Rage

no one in homestuck except gamzee and doc scratch have ever done anything wrong

omniscientTrees

Post by omniscientTrees » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm

i will destroy dirk with my own hands. This is the will of my ultimate self.

sixthDragoness

Post by sixthDragoness » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm

If homestuck 2 doesn't include June Egbert punching out Dirk then I'm making Homestuck 3 myself in which only that happens. That's my take, 1/1 egbert punches.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:20 pm

In all honesty I don't really care that much for Dirk, even with him being a massive dickhead in the epilogues and presumably Homestuck 2. I'm more annoyed by the stupid meta wankery everyone behind HS thinks is revolutionary.

bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time

Post by bathtimebird » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:28 pm

I don't care about Dirk. His design is boring and, like most other characters in Homestuck, his dialogue puts me to sleep. The only time when he was entertaining was during Meat, especially when he was narratively forcing Dave and Karkat to make out.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 pm

seeing Dirk evolve from 'my favorite character and self-insert' to 'hugely narcissitic new ultimate villain BBEG' has been pretty interesting. I just hope HS^2 doesn't fuck him up by making him Caliborn-levels of intentionally unlikable to get readers wiled up, unless he's obviously just doing it to play his 'role' as the villain.

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:05 am

rookie1978 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 pm
I just hope HS^2 doesn't fuck him up by making him Caliborn-levels of intentionally unlikable to get readers wiled up, unless he's obviously just doing it to play his 'role' as the villain.
I think the latter case is the most likely, though I wonder if HS^2 will underplay it and end up making it look like Dirk is playing it straight.

That aside, I feel like Dirk is just okay as a character and I hope HS^2 won't focus too much on him. Or they might do that anyway and I learn to like him, who knows!
Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Nep
Pronouns: Any (Genderfluid)
Classpect: Rogue of Heart

Post by Nep » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:33 pm

I like Dirk and his directions, as well reasonings made him even more interesting.

As for Bro Strider who also counts as Dirk I still think the Dude's the epitome of awesome.
Forum's Certified Nep. :nepball: || Rogue of Heart

DirkStrider
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Seer of Doom

Post by DirkStrider » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:47 pm

hot take: i actually like dirk more after reading the epilogues
DIRK: I've just spent a lot of time in my own head.
DIRK: Maybe absolute self-absorption is the inevitable outcome, when the self is all you've ever known. When you're drowning in it.

Ravenous Rebel

Post by Ravenous Rebel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:52 pm

rubs juice wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:08 pm
Skyplayer wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm
Its a meme for Vriska but Dirk really did nothing wrong.
besides being a controlling and manipulative person and ruining a perfectly fine relationship with jake, he had to be pushy and put his own desire to have a smooch from jake on top of jake's willingness to do said smooch, which was the first sign to me that he was kind of irky (irky dirky)

but yeah i suppose he's not a bad character, he's just a bad person; I actually like him a lot as a villain. Not a lot of people brush off his actions as all correct and good as they do with vriska anyway, so there's not enough dirskourse to go around like that
Finally, good villains deserve rep too. Bruh was a good character, even if an awful dude and an awful bro, at least in his Pre- Sburb imagining.
:cal: MiRAcLeS MOTheRFuckER :0) :cal:

NAKNAKNAK

Post by NAKNAKNAK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Hal deserved better than fusing with Equius and from there becoming a part of Doc Scratch/Lord English. Hal is the best iteration of Dirk out of all the splinters.
Last edited by NAKNAKNAK on Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:professor: NAK NAK THERE IS A BUG ON MY SCREEN AND I CAN'T REACH IT TO SWAT IT AWAY WITH TINY ARMS NAK NAK NAK!!!

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:00 pm

NAKNAKNAK wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 pm
Hal deserved better than fusing with Equius and from there becoming a part of Doc Scratch. Hal is the best iteration of Dirk out of all the splinters.
I agree, Equius also deserved better, ARquius really doesn't do anything to me as a fan of both characters.

tangerineSprite

Post by tangerineSprite » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 pm

warren wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 pm
starting this off:
Dirk? yes or no.
Enjoying Dirk Strider as a character is kind of like being that one guy at the back of a stand up comedy session laughing at a comedian for not their jokes but for basically existing. Like pointing at a tiny child falling over and laughing at them. Is it kind of a gross process to not only watch but take part in (ie h^2)? absolutely. Is it also super fun and entertaining to see the end result of all the compiled shit this man has pulled? Hell. Fucking. Yes.

Would I want to kill him ? Absolutely, but that's beside the point. I think combing through the mind of Ultimate Dirk while also analysing his actions and the way his relationships with other characters shape him as a person + his actions are really filling to me since It's not only made me dig out my notebook on more then a few occasions but it made me way more invested in the progression of Dirk as a person, what could have, would have and did make him change and what could have taken place to prevent it all for example.

I like the villainous approach to his character and whilst yes, I'd love to see "canon" representative of this older Dirk not being a complete misogynistic man baby I'll take what I can get from the evil!Kamina kinnie himself.
:rosecool: lil seb dyke powers