THE DIRKCOURSE THREAD

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
terezis_gay_lusus
Pronouns: she/he/they/it/god
Classpect: Thief of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: THE DIRKCOURSE THREAD

Post by terezis_gay_lusus » Thu May 20, 2021 11:46 am

Dirk's character became much better in the Epilogues, he became very relevant and (sometimes) interesting to read.
I saw another post on here that said he had to be the villain in order for his friends to be heroes, and that makes a lot of sense to me. While Dirk seems like he would be a very selfish person, in reality, he is very selfless without even realizing it.
He was completely content with being the bad guy in order to let his friends have spotlight and be the good guys who will save everybody.
While I don't think that Candy Dirk offing himself was the best thing for the timeline, but I think that it shows how tragic Dirk's life really was. When the timelines split, he essentially had a choice: die or become the bad guy.
Also, while Dirk can be very monotonous and has a tendency to write long, tedious paragraphs that are BORING BORING BORING, if you actually take the time to read them, they typically end up telling you something interesting about the narrative or the other characters, or sometimes Dirk himself.
Dirk is one of the few characters in Homestuck that I actually enjoyed the way their character went in the Epilogues.
TL;DR: He's a much better villain than he is a hero and there is a lot more to his character than what is on the surface.
TT: How cool do you think it is having my own godawful personality mirrored back at me all the time, reminding me what it must be like when other people have to deal with me?
TT: Do you have any idea how fucking sick I am of myself?

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:47 pm

terezis_gay_lusus wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:46 am
TL;DR: He's a much better villain than he is a hero and there is a lot more to his character than what is on the surface.
I agree but also hate it because I thought his entire character arc was self-reflection and attempting to overcome all the worst parts about him. Fully embracing the villain role seems like a complete 180 from where we left off with him in Homestuck. It's jarring, even if it IS entertaining, and like most things in Homestuck 2 it's not a horrible idea but I just think it wasn't executed as well as it could've been.

MrDiamondEgg
Pronouns: Any
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by MrDiamondEgg » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:07 am

rubs juice wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm
warren wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 pm
starting this off:
Dirk? yes or no.
head: off
Did you know? Head/Off is the name of the second song on musician SebatiAn's third EP, Ross Ross Ross.

Haha, jokes aside, I don't want to say entirely irrelevant stuff on the thread, so here's my two cents on Dirk. He's overall a pretty well-written character, but I personally feel pretty neutral about him. Exception to the epilogues and HS^2, where I find his change in character to make sense, but also be pretty unexpected, and honestly? Pretty damn funny. He's just such a fucking loser, and pretends not to be, he's like Dave if Dave had no character development.

ForkOfSpoon
Pronouns: she/they
Classpect: mage of space

Post by ForkOfSpoon » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:34 pm

dirk killed my grandpa :(
AYUGH :andrew: :andrew: :andrew: :andrew: :andrew: :andrew:

ktet
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: sylph of hope

Post by ktet » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:58 pm

i love dirk alot. top fav character, he would never do smt wrong :cal:

gardenAgnostic
Pronouns: she/they/ae/sie/hir/
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by gardenAgnostic » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm

dirk is so pathetic and i love bullying him. that is all there is to be said on the matter
jaderoxy is the ship ever :rosecool:

leafsquire
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: page of life

Post by leafsquire » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:37 am

rookie1978 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:47 pm
terezis_gay_lusus wrote:
I agree but also hate it because I thought his entire character arc was self-reflection and attempting to overcome all the worst parts about him. Fully embracing the villain role seems like a complete 180 from where we left off with him in Homestuck. It's jarring, even if it IS entertaining, and like most things in Homestuck 2 it's not a horrible idea but I just think it wasn't executed as well as it could've been.
i feel like he has such potential to be a compelling hero! if they let him be a hero he would probably be my favorite character. there's something to be said for a character who fights to be a good person against all odds, it makes them incredibly human

that being said homestuck doesn't tend to like characters who are "good people"

recklessWizard
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Derse

Post by recklessWizard » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:23 pm

leafsquire wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:37 am
rookie1978 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:47 pm
terezis_gay_lusus wrote:
i feel like he has such potential to be a compelling hero! if they let him be a hero he would probably be my favorite character. there's something to be said for a character who fights to be a good person against all odds, it makes them incredibly human

that being said homestuck doesn't tend to like characters who are "good people"

I agree!
- Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States of America.

[[[ven

Post by [[[ven » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:47 am

Skyplayer wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm
Its a meme for Vriska but Dirk really did nothing wrong.
He almost killed Hal...