Condtitional mortality and how it works

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
thorondraco

Condtitional mortality and how it works

Post by thorondraco » Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 pm

A lot of people think that the Condesce's immortality was forgotten at the end of homestuck. But the reality is that her immortality was an inverse, a power that denied her mortality.

Conditional mortality prevents someone from dying so that they can, seemingly, continue their purpose. They are immortal so long as they have that purpose, but once it is over, they are vulnerable to death and presumably age too.
Basically the handmaid died then because her purpose was spent, and that the condesce was going to be given it in turn. We can presume the power comes from lord english. The condesce however was meant to serve eternally. But the problem is her master was defeated. Basically conditional mortality is all about being a servant to another being and its conditions are until you fulfill your purpose, or until your master is dead.

THIS COMPLETELY EXPLAINS GAMZEE!

The reason why he can never die is because he was given conditional mortality. If i am not mistaken during game over, he was able to survive several stabs to fatal areas of his body by Terezi, but when he was killed by Kanaya, that was after several characters were killed. AT that point there was no way for the timeline ot continue as it was supposed to and so he had no purpose anymore.

It also shows why he could be killed in Candy too. Because he was cut off from his master. And even if his master returned before or after his murder, the master died soon after and even then he could not serve his master's purpose.

syrupsand
Pronouns: any
Classpect: confusing af no idea
Moon: Derse

Re: Condtitional mortality and how it works

Post by syrupsand » Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 pm

BIG BRAIN MOMENT

lavendersiren
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by lavendersiren » Sun May 24, 2020 1:56 am

Holy shit, this actually makes sense!
And here I thought that gamzee finally dying was a sign that the candy timeline had gone so far off the rails that previously airtight rules had begun to unravel towards jumping the shark + gamzee previously had juggalo invincibility (there's an ICP song about violent J where nothing could ever kill him, not even time itself. I always thought Gamzee's inability to be killed was a reference to this).
Image Image

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 am

i.... thought this was common knowledge? lol
:rosecool:

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 pm

lavendersiren wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:56 am
Holy shit, this actually makes sense!
And here I thought that gamzee finally dying was a sign that the candy timeline had gone so far off the rails that previously airtight rules had begun to unravel towards jumping the shark + gamzee previously had juggalo invincibility (there's an ICP song about violent J where nothing could ever kill him, not even time itself. I always thought Gamzee's inability to be killed was a reference to this).
it probs is a reference still. but it plays into soemthing else.

we don't exactly know what dictates or allows conditional mortality though and how it happens.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 am
i.... thought this was common knowledge? lol
Surprisingly not. A lot of people never caught that aspect of it.