THE VRISCOURSE THREAD

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

THE VRISCOURSE THREAD

Post by classpectanon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Please keep all Vriscourse in here. Vriska can obviously be mentioned, and even discussed, in other threads, but quarantine all Vriscourse in here.

Thank you.

:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Re: THE VRISCOURSE THREAD

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Vriska did almost everything wrong.

rubs juice
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Page of Mind

Post by rubs juice » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm

PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:57 pm
Vriska did almost everything wrong.
finally someone who understands.
Mafa || Page of Mind
Carapacian Rights Advocate || Writer of worldbuilding headcanons
[[visit my AO3 here]]
Check out my fanventure! Click on the banner <3

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Vriska did most things wrong.

Cheshire_Creeper

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 pm

:professor:
Professor Bee asks: Vriska, is she even real?
I have an ill-advised plan...what else is new?
https://mspfa.com/user/?u=108518406857173018839

warren

Post by warren » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm

i like vriska :devious:
mage of hope :cool3d:

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Vriska did do a lot of things wrong, and I am in no way, shape or form condoning her actions, but it's important to consider the environment she grew up in as well! The big question is, does it justify her actions later in life?

warren

Post by warren » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Sokota wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm
Vriska did do a lot of things wrong, and I am in no way, shape or form condoning her actions, but it's important to consider the environment she grew up in as well! The big question is, does it justify her actions later in life?
troll society is very very different from human society, especially doc scratchian troll society, so i feel like the lens we view things as humans is inherently biased. in her pesterquets route, she was constantly verbally abused by her lusus and just made to feel like a whole piece of crap.. I feel like Yes she did things wrong but many people hold her to a strict GOOD or BAD role and i am not about that. morally gray ftw
mage of hope :cool3d:

KnightOfRage413

Post by KnightOfRage413 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:08 pm

I mean imo even if you were abused when you were young that does NOT mean you can just abuse others and be excused for it. That's not how it works.
Homestuck since Oct 2014. I run cosplay meetups! Check out @ addriblack on Insta and Twitter. :pumpkin:

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm

i see the vriscourse thread is already off to a roaring start :cool: :cool:
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

Sciencejoe

Post by Sciencejoe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm

It's true, Vriska had very little control over her influences, but that will never, ever justify the things she did wrong (to name one of many, literal murder of her friends). Vriska herself obviously doesn't care about that at the end of the day ("you don't need to be a good person to be a hero")--or rather, wouldn't let it stop her from doing the right thing and earning her re-relevance, but blind defense of her actions is very...well, poorly judged. Vriska became a much better person by the story's end, but there is no denying that she made a lot of awful decisions: and unironically believing "she did nothing wrong" and lambasting other characters for similar sins is something that is very sad to see. But I'm not going to say she's awful for saving everyone's collective bacon and fixing their personal issues off-screen. Poorly written though I thought it was, it was still a good thing to do in-story!
Amateur Writer / Professional Psychologist Of People And Characters / Rogue of Mind

Sahxyel

Post by Sahxyel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Sciencejoe wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm
But I'm not going to say she's awful for saving everyone's collective bacon and fixing their personal issues off-screen.
This depends wholly if you feel like the characters are better post-retcon than pre-retcon. :professor:
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

Eromancery

Post by Eromancery » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Why didn't Vriska, the most powerful troll, simply eat the other 11?

Obligatory Futurama joke out of the way, Vriska did many things, and caring about their morality is just falling into Hussie's trap. Not to be an enlightened centrist but enlightened Vriska centrism is the only way to escape the hellhole sane
What is a juggalo?
A juggalo
That's what it is
Well, fuck, if I know
What is a juggalo?
I don't know
But I'm down with the clown
And I'm down for life, yo

arachnoTherapist
Pronouns: Sure
Classpect: Sylph of Mind
Moon: Prospit

Post by arachnoTherapist » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Not only did Vriska do things her wrong, her entire arc is defined by her repeatedly doing things wrong and scrambling to fix the fallout of her own failures. I would like to go above and beyond and posit the idea that Vriska did nothing right.

vanico

Post by vanico » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Vriska is canonically fat :andrew:
Boring thoughts
Art is shitty as hell
:cool3d:

apocalypseArisen
Pronouns: She/they
Classpect: Seer of Void

Post by apocalypseArisen » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:34 pm

vriska did some things wrong

Auntie
Moon: Prospit

Post by Auntie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Vriska did nothing. At all. :apple:
Current works: fanventure
Still alive, living slowly

burnt2ashleys

Post by burnt2ashleys » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Way I see it, Vriska served her purpose as a character until her timely (heh) death at the hands of Terezi (or SS, depending on how you spin it). Her... development? As a dead character was certainly something that happened, and I don't think much of it, due to my belief that her narrative role was already fulfilled (warranting her death).
Now, her being retconned to life can mean many things from many perspectives: It could mean that Andrew got into a corner he couldn't write himself out of, that in-universe, had someone other than Terezi incited John to act upon his retcon powers, Vriska wouldn't be revived, that AH, the Author (not Andrew Hussie), wanted this outcome and thus manipulated the narrative to reach this conclusion, that this is a travesty because it vindicates Vriska's flawed views (and a separate perspective may suggest that this is Skaia itself vindicating Vriska, rather than the Author or Andrew), and we could go on for however many years this forum may hold.
For me? I think she served her purpose as a character, died, and then was brought back, possibly to resolve unsolved conflicts, costing the simpler (and arguably more powerful) shtick of her character up until her death. As for her morality, she's had an Alternian upbringing, like all zodiac trolls, and I'm adamant that Andrew made sure to exacerbate the apparent weight of this upbringing on her to cause more divisiveness and discourse (which very clearly worked, given the discussion that STILL arises), which can be seen by Vriska's conversations with John, contrasting the cultures, giving a bigger "oomph" to how bad her upbringing really was, even if other trolls may have had it worse (*cough*[insertothertrollhere]*ahem*).
Finally, I think Vriska is, simply put, a bloody masterclass in how to mindfuck your fandom, and we should all learn from Andrew, because crafting a character that yearns discussion from troll-y to thoughtful for, what, 9 years? Is quite the feat.

Vriska

Post by Vriska » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm

I clearly have never done anything wrong in my life ever! :rorb:

tiger_Fox
Pronouns: he
Classpect: Mage of Blood+Space

Post by tiger_Fox » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm

baka fake vriska
not a single 8!!!!!!!!
vriska could have been a good person if she really owned up to her past mistakes and bad things she did
Image aquamarineCanid <>