THE VRISCOURSE THREAD

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Katte
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Katte » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:38 pm

I think it's more important to think about what Vriska is doing or about to do than it is think about what has already happened, and to use her past as a means of understanding her present where it is applicable.

We don't have to forgive Vriska of the consequences of what she's done to acknowledge that she probably got better.

This is incomplete and also my first post on any mspa forum

Edit1: I also haven't finished homestuck :/
profile art by twitter user blazemalefica

Prime
Moon: Prospit

Re: THE VRISCOURSE THREAD

Post by Prime » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 am

Vriska is a tragically great character who never worked towards becoming a better person, and died because of it.

Then she rolled back into the story by the sheer pull of her gravity and never learned anything for it.
Last edited by Prime on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

barexamkind

Post by barexamkind » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:44 am

Eromancery wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 pm
Why didn't Vriska, the most powerful troll, simply eat the other 11?

Obligatory Futurama joke out of the way, Vriska did many things, and caring about their morality is just falling into Hussie's trap. Not to be an enlightened centrist but enlightened Vriska centrism is the only way to escape the hellhole sane
whether you think vriska did nothing wrong or vriska did everything wrong
we can all agree on one thing.
https://tinyurl.com/agreement-uwu
for more bad takes and atrocious vibes, follow me on twitter!
https://twitter.com/barexamkind

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Post by TC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 am

Vriska is mostly heartless and that's why she rocks. This is also why (Vriska) and Act6ska do not in fact rock.

Being bad is good.
vanico wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm
Vriska is canonically fat :andrew:
This is inherently true. Finally someone understands.
ImageImageImage

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 am

Vriska peter.png
Vriska peter.png (337.89 KiB) Viewed 23059 times
holy crap

Auntie

Post by Auntie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:07 am

Since I got my joke response out of the way earlier: I think it's more interesting to examine reactions to Vriska than Vriska herself. Did she do things wrong? Who cares? There's an entire body of work that covers what Vriska did and so much commentary that I can't think of anything new to say about her, herself.

That all said, I believe there is some merit to the idea that some people judge her unfairly specifically because she's a girl. However, I don't believe that can be applied in every case since, well- in the end she does display a specific brand of sadism towards those around her that hits differently than that of other characters that also do shitty things.
Current works: fanventure
Still alive, living slowly

Cheshire_Creeper

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:24 am

barexamkind wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:44 am

whether you think vriska did nothing wrong or vriska did everything wrong
we can all agree on one thing.
https://tinyurl.com/agreement-uwu
Did...Did I just get rickrolled...
IN 2019?
Also, Vriska did something wrong, which was yell at (Vriska), who did nothing wrong.
There, I solved it.
I have an ill-advised plan...what else is new?
https://mspfa.com/user/?u=108518406857173018839

bakedpotatocat

Post by bakedpotatocat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Vriska tries to be a good person and that counts for a lot in my book, especially because maybe the most major theme in Homestuck is the struggle to be something other than what the world has defined for you. Vriska does progressively less bad as the story continues, despite being probably the most oppressed character in homestuck.

The core romantic arc of Homestuck is Vrisrezi, and it is beautiful. It really sucks that Vriska is so suicidally devoted to the idea of redeeming herself by defeating LE that she goes back into the dreambubbles and gets left behind.

Vriska still *really* hates herself at the end of the comic proper, which is why she tears into (Vriska) so harshly.

I dont know if Vriska did anything wrong but regardless if she did I love her for it
call me bpc for short. they/them, poly aromantic sapphic, Sylph of Rage

no one in homestuck except gamzee and doc scratch have ever done anything wrong

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind
Moon: Derse

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:10 pm

bakedpotatocat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:29 pm
I dont know if Vriska did anything wrong but regardless if she did I love her for it
I mean, tavros, sollux, aradia, jack noir, tavros again.... she kind of did some things wrong.
:rosecool:

KnightOfRage413

Post by KnightOfRage413 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Vaska 🎱
Homestuck since Oct 2014. I run cosplay meetups! Check out @ addriblack on Insta and Twitter. :pumpkin:

Vriska

Post by Vriska » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:38 am

tiger_Fox wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm
baka fake vriska
not a single 8!!!!!!!!
vriska could have been a good person if she really owned up to her past mistakes and bad things she did
I’ll show you some f8cking 8’s 8uddy. >::::/

Prime

Post by Prime » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 am

HIDE VRISKA THREADS

IGNORE VRISKA POSTS

DO NOT REPLY TO VRISKA POSTERS

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Arguing about Vriska only feeds the :andrew:. Think twice before feeding the horse man with these sick fires.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

homericHorror

Post by homericHorror » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Vriska did many things. Many bad, many heroic. What must be remembered at all times is where she came from, why she did those “bad” things, and if it’s even worthwhile to examine what she did in terms of an good-bad dichotomy.

Consider, if you will: The Classical Greek Hero. People like Jason, Achilles, Odysseus, Heracles. All of these people were awful. But, they’re all heroes still and their actions are heroic because in the context they existed within, those actions were morally allowable.

Further consider Vriska’s unique perception of transactional morality (Especially in comparison to Terezi’s black and white morality). To elaborate she holds the idea that the way you make up for a bad thing being done to you is by doing one back, or making up for bad things that people haven’t taken vengeance for yet by doing a good thing. (I.E. The post blinding talk with Terezi, and her entire fucking deal with Aradia)

omniscientTrees

Post by omniscientTrees » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Vriska has done nothing wrong, ever, in her life.

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:58 pm

omniscientTrees wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 pm
Vriska has done nothing wrong, ever, in her life.
I think defining "did nothing wrong" is a prerequisite to saying that.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

sixthDragoness

Post by sixthDragoness » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Vriska is actually incapable of wrongdoings entirely.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Vriska can be summed up entirely as 'annoying'. Undeservedly given too much spotlight compared to the other trolls in the comic AND epilogues alike. For some reason could never be shoved aside to give other trolls time to shine. I get that she was probably supposed to be the John or 'hero' of the Troll session, but jesus christ, there's a certain point where there's just too many fucking EIGHTS.

I also hate how she never really got her come-uppance. The trolls never gave a shit or tried to confront her about the things she did or the general way she acts. Granted sometimes it's because they were pre-occupied with the impending loom of death, but most of the time I feel like Hussie was either too attached to the character or was just too lazy.

Vriska waifuers and apologists deserve nothing.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:46 am

rookie1978 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 pm
Vriska can be summed up entirely as 'annoying'. Undeservedly given too much spotlight compared to the other trolls in the comic AND epilogues alike. For some reason could never be shoved aside to give other trolls time to shine. I get that she was probably supposed to be the John or 'hero' of the Troll session, but jesus christ, there's a certain point where there's just too many fucking EIGHTS.

I also hate how she never really got her come-uppance. The trolls never gave a shit or tried to confront her about the things she did or the general way she acts. Granted sometimes it's because they were pre-occupied with the impending loom of death, but most of the time I feel like Hussie was either too attached to the character or was just too lazy.

Vriska waifuers and apologists deserve nothing.
This man is absolutely right. They truly deserve nothing.
:rosecool:

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:28 am

Vriska did so many things wrong. So many. But, that also makes her a great character because of it. Spidermom didn't really help matters either by demanding sacrifices all the time. But yeah, Vriska is one bad girl, which makes her one of my favorite betas! She's manipulative and cunning and cutthroat, everything you would expect from the descendant of a great pirate. She also wanted to live up to Mindfang's image, which makes her take things even farther. But, despite all the havoc she caused, I do think her heart was in the right place a lot of the times. She's such a complex character with so many layers to her personality that an entire act could be devoted just to her story. And who doesn't like a big bad to keep everyone on their toes!