what is y'all's opinion on the first 2 acts of homestuck in comparison to the rest

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Cherry_Bugs_
Pronouns: They/them

what is y'all's opinion on the first 2 acts of homestuck in comparison to the rest

Post by Cherry_Bugs_ » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 am

I've heard a lot of people say they're pretty boring comparatively, but as someone who hasn't finished act 2 because I have a -90 attention span stat, I have no idea lol
maybe follow me on tumblr? https://cherry-bugs.tumblr.com/ or maybe my ao3?? (i will be posting homestuck fics in the future) https://archiveofourown.org/users/Cherry_Bugs or maybe join my hs discord server? https://discord.gg/S2wHY4g

:mutie:

Mandy
Pronouns: he/him

Re: what is y'all's opinion on the first 2 acts of homestuck in comparison to the rest

Post by Mandy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 am

I've never thought the first two acts were boring. There's less happening, maybe, but I found all the sylladex fuckery hilarious.

I'm guilty of this myself, but I really wish people wouldn't tell new readers the first two acts are boring. It's not really fair to the early writing, and it sets up expectations you're better off without. Yeah, there's a world of difference between Act 1 and Act 5. It gets less granular, the plot picks up. But it's not as sudden as that makes it sound, and it's better to watch it happen naturally than to be looking forward to the end of Act 2 specifically. But on the other hand, I have heard people say the end of Act 2 is what really drew them in, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: what is y'all's opinion on the first 2 acts of homestuck in comparison to the rest

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:25 am

The first two acts are pretty much entirely different from the rest of the comic, but that's intentional, and is more of a gradual shift than anything else. The first two acts are wacky and pretty much forum adventure type fuckery, which is also used to introduce us to some of the main characters and really get to know them before we get into the drama filled narratives of the Trolls and Alphas. It's like a shift from what we assume to be the most important part of the narrative, the weird shit, to a more character driven and subversive piece about the nature of Coming of Age stories and Heroes Journeys as a whole
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Seer of Breath
Moon: Derse

Post by Khiara » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:59 am

I actually enjoyed the first 2 acts, as much as I enjoyed Hussie's other mspa works like Problem Sleuth, Jailbreak, and Bard's Quest. It's just unique. The unique storytelling styles are the key for those stories. As for Homestuck, I like retro video games and simulation games in general, so enjoying a narrative work with that kind of interactive and meta features was a new, mesmerizing experience for me. Bizzare, yet fun and interesting.

Yeah I also found reading those long-winded pesterlogs is tedious sometimes, but it shows up the characters in detail. Don't forget about the musics which kept me hooked to find out what would happen next.

So yep. Love Act 1-2 for the cute and funny introduction, and act 4-5 for the epic lores and twists.

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

SbIUsedToKnow

Post by SbIUsedToKnow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:21 pm

I enjoy them a lot! They have this sort of simple charm to them. Other than occasional bizarreness, it's a normal simple world with normal simple characters. There is a hint of "there is something bigger" looming in the background. I have a hard time saying "act x is better than y" because, well, every act has something in it that I like a lot, even if it's different.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:39 pm

the characters felt so real and like a believable group of friends. the sylladexs were funny (dave naming things was funny as fuck (wait was that act 2 or 3). all in all pretty good acts.
:rosecool:

eddie_morton
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: page of void or doom or

Post by eddie_morton » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:40 am

they're my faves. got a lovely lighthearted whimsical feel
TT: You know you like the mannequin dick. Accept it.

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:36 pm

They ROCK. I'm pretty sure Act 3 had some lame emotional shit in it so I quit around then. I hope the rest of the comic is as good as I remember!!!!

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 pm

It's a dramatic tonal difference from the rest of the comic, especially acts 5 and 6. A lot of silly humor and wackiness, and game mechanics that ended up being way more interesting but still sidelined in effort to develop and introduce new characters nobody asked for time after time.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:25 pm

it's difficult to impartially evaluate them, as i've been familiar with homestuck for so long now and i can't imagine what the experience of reading them would be like if i had no other knowledge of the story, but i feel that they're very sound as an introduction. john and rose's early interactions are witty and establish their personalities very well, specifically with the juxtaposition of john's zany dork shit and rose's smugness and micromanagement of the game as his server player. i personally love them, along with acts three and four.