What's the deal with Davesprite's watermarks?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

What's the deal with Davesprite's watermarks?

Post by luigi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:53 pm

I've been re reading Homestuck and I'm on A6I3. One thing I noticed is the weird behavior of Davesprite's watermarks. At first John calls them out, and it looks like it's just regular sized Davesprite looking down at LOWAS... but then Jade says she can't see them and has no idea what he's talking about. John says it's probably sprite magic but he's currently pulling a tantrum so you can't really take what he says at face value.

AND THEN, in A6I5 Davesprite calls out the watermarks as a legit ability he has telling John to have some for the road. So what's the deal is that a power sprites have, they can put semi-translucent watermarks of their face in the sky? And also was this inspired by some sort of out-of-universe meme (like so much weird shit in Homestuck is) because it really feels like I'm missing some context.

TLDR all I understand is that Snoop Dogg has the same ability to watermark his face on the sky across all MSPA Canon and I want to know why (whether in or out of universe) Davesprite has the same ability.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: What's the deal with Davesprite's watermarks?

Post by overThinker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:06 pm

it's probably a sprite power that manifested just because it's definitely an ability that dave would want to have for irony/epic jape purposes. sprites seem to have powers that correspond to their prototypings (nanna with cakes, etc) so it doesn't seem unlikely. so this means that in some rando sburb session or timeline snoop dogg got prototyped, giving him the ability to watermark the sky across all of canon because hussie doesn't give a fuck :andrew:

luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Post by luigi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Aight I can dig it. And I figured as much I was just hoping for some deeper meaning. That whole scene in John's driveway reads to me like I'm missing some sort of big clue or hint.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:26 am

luigi wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:23 pm
Aight I can dig it. And I figured as much I was just hoping for some deeper meaning. That whole scene in John's driveway reads to me like I'm missing some sort of big clue or hint.
The watermarks in the backgrounds aren't literally there and are just kind of superimposed on the scene as a joke for us viewers. If this were a sprite power, Jade would've known about it, having been a sprite before.

John sees this stuff now even though he didn't before because Con Air is bad.
only bad takes here