How did you get introduced to Homestuck?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Notchine
Pronouns: he/him

Re: How did you get introduced to Homestuck?

Post by Notchine » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:12 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 am
Notchine wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:03 am
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:48 am
i made a bet with someone from twitter. i had to liveread it and id get 2 kebabs for free. the thread of me reading it should be still up lol
Were you able to get the kebabs in the end?
indeed i did, altho i read the whole thing in like two weeks so i couldnt get them all when i finished it.
what a happy ending :pleasant:

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind
Moon: Derse

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:16 am

Notchine wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:12 am
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 am
Notchine wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:03 am

Were you able to get the kebabs in the end?
indeed i did, altho i read the whole thing in like two weeks so i couldnt get them all when i finished it.
what a happy ending :pleasant:
yeah! unlike homestuck's
:rosecool:

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Man. Alright. So back in summer 2013 I believe I was uhhh, wow, big into the iFunny Art Community. And seeing as it was 2013 if you were into any relatively artsy circles on the internet people drew homestuck art and they drew lots of it. Eventually I just asked what it was, and given the name searched it up on my Third Generation iPod Touch. Posted a screenshot of mspa double checking that the first page of that was the same comic as all these epic gods n stuff were from any by november-ish I had caught up. And then I started on msparp and my whole life probably went downhill

People who started in 2013 are certified Chads just saying. probably the prime time to get into it besides maybe being into Problem Sleuth beforehand and then getting into homestuck. :mutie:
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:10 pm

tvtropes
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm

I used to see art of it all the time around like 2010-ish.

I eventually looked it up just to see "what that story with the candy corn demons is about."
(I honestly thought the trolls were oni at first.)
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm
I used to see art of it all the time around like 2010-ish.

I eventually looked it up just to see "what that story with the candy corn demons is about."
Troll could be seen as a kind of oni or ogre.

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:44 pm
I can't believe Homestuck is just Urusei Yatsura for the modern generation.
All the signs were there.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:44 pm
I can't believe Homestuck is just Urusei Yatsura for the modern generation.
All the signs were there.
oooh christ you are right O.o

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by Khiara » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 pm

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm
So did I lol. I thought they're some kind of demons/yokai.

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

Membo336

Post by Membo336 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:14 am

I originally learned it was a thing really late, around 2014, back when I was super cringey. I was on a roblox RP, and one of the special characters you could unlock was john, and I later learned he was from homestuck. so I looked it up on YouTube, after thinking it was some sort of cartoon, and found some stupid videos talking about homestuck’s ‘toxic’ fandom. This was when I believed everything I heard, so I just assumed it was terrible and had the worst fandom in the world. This was coming from someone who was still in the undertale fandom. How hypocritical. Anyways, I mostly ignored it, until my friends on discord were talking about homestuck so often, I just had to figure out what it really was. So I tried reading it about 50 times, but only once I could get past the first act. But every time I went back and tried again, I was able to read more and more. So eventually I just sucked it up and read through all of it. Then I officially moved on from undertale to homestuck.

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:21 am

Back around 2015/16 when Undertale was popular, I remember looking for the soundtrack and finding a bunch of people making comparisons to Homestuck, in particular under Megalovania, but that's about as far as I got. Really my first experience with it was back when my friend recommended it to me last year, and I instantly connected the name to "that one webcomic that Toby Fox worked on." I ended up searching a couple of the flashes just to figure out what Homestuck was, but they were so incomprehensible and strange that I figured I just had to read it at this point.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

KnightOfRage413

Post by KnightOfRage413 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm

My introduction to Homestuck was via my (ex) boyfriend wayyy back in 2014. I can even narrow it down to October 2014, seeing as [S] Game Over came out right after I caught up. Hilariously I was peripherally exposed to it towards the end of 2013 too, since I can vaguely remember a different ex telling me he was dressing up as Karkat for Halloween, and my best friend of the time drew troll fanart, even if I had no clue what it was. It's been a wild ride ever since, though.
Homestuck since Oct 2014. I run cosplay meetups! Check out @ addriblack on Insta and Twitter. :pumpkin:

eddie_morton
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: page of void or doom or

Post by eddie_morton » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 pm

knowing how middle school me worked, i probably saw cute ship art on tumblr and just rolled on from there
TT: You know you like the mannequin dick. Accept it.

tentativeTumbleweed
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by tentativeTumbleweed » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:11 pm

Amerika wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:45 pm
the RPG monger. he made a video of the disastrous Homestuck fandom from 2012-2014ish and i tried it. best AND worst thing i've gotten into
Funny, that also was my very first contact with Homestuck, but then I kind of forgot about it (wanted to read it, saw that it had 8000+ pages, and decided against it) until out of the blue, Youtube recommended Mambostuck (by EmptyFeet) to me. That was two and a half weeks ago, and here I am now. Huh.

hella_gay
Pronouns: he/they

Post by hella_gay » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:37 am

I learned about Homestuck after it ended, mid-2018 probably. I had snuck my mom's old iPod into my room and was watching music.ly compilations cuz I was stuck in the past and didn't even know tik tok existed yet and I found one called "Happy 4/13 Music.ly compilation" or smthn and I watched it and I was obsessed. Now I'm here, cosplaying Dave Strider every other day :/.

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Incredibly good friend kept sharing Homestuck memes with me, and I only marginally knew about it. They kept telling me to read it, so I struggled through Act 1, thought it was kind of boring, and stopped. A few months later, she convinced me to keep reading, because "it gets better, I promise!", so I did.

And now I'm here.

Cherry_Bugs_
Pronouns: They/them

Post by Cherry_Bugs_ » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:51 am

I had heard about it tons of times over the years, never anything bad, but not anything particularly good either. I tried reading it like twice and could never get past like page 10 or so. But then like, a month ago-ish, a youtuber I like watching posted a few animatics about it, and I was like "Oh worm those characters are cute as sh*t" and so i tried reading it again, got to page 100-ish before i stopped AGAIN because I have no attention-span, and now im in quarantine for obvious reasons and picked it up again. still slow going reading it but im on act 2! page 591. And i joined this forum like,, 10 minutes ago. :bemused:
maybe follow me on tumblr? https://cherry-bugs.tumblr.com/ or maybe my ao3?? (i will be posting homestuck fics in the future) https://archiveofourown.org/users/Cherry_Bugs or maybe join my hs discord server? https://discord.gg/S2wHY4g

:mutie:

AsherCrane
Classpect: Rogue of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by AsherCrane » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:35 pm

A friend told me about it, and I immediately started to read!

And naturally, I got bored halfway through act 1. Just as naturally, the same friend bugged me about it for six months or so, at which point I kept going. As soon as I hit act 2, I was completely hooked.

SuperLaggycat64

Post by SuperLaggycat64 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 pm

I barely remember how I got hooked, but I had a brief MLP: FIM phase and I vaguely think it had something to do w/ that period of my life.

ClownHornHonk

Post by ClownHornHonk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:04 am

A ton of my friends started talking about it, and after being pressured by many many people for many years, I finally decided to pick it up.

Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.
HoNk :o)