How did you get introduced to Homestuck?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Notchine
Pronouns: he/him

How did you get introduced to Homestuck?

Post by Notchine » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 am

I was just curious on how all you people here first got into homestuck. Personally, i found it through it's Let's Read series on Voxus and read it on my own.

BrobyDDark

Re: How did you get introduced to Homestuck?

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:04 am

My friends in middle school were obsessed with it. I tried it. Couldn't get passed the couple pages due to cringe overdose. Was encouraged to try it again. Did so. Read it all, and joined my friends in their cringey uber-obsession.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 am

I discovered it when a picture for the tvtropes page All Girls like Ponies was Rose giving Maplehoof a hug. I saw the [S] Ride flash and I HAD to start from the beginning to get the context. This was back in late 2009
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:48 am

i made a bet with someone from twitter. i had to liveread it and id get 2 kebabs for free. the thread of me reading it should be still up lol
:rosecool:

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:28 pm

one of the first times i ever met my step sister (circa january-ish 2013) we were playing around with Akinator because it was the big thing at the time and she said "oh i wonder if he'll guess john egbert" and i said "who the fuck is john egbert"

she deadass pulled the whole "let me tell you about homestuck" schtick on me and when I went home that night I started reading it. Caught up the day that Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 released and went mental. Crazy to think that, timewise, Homestuck Prime was still somehow only reaching the halfway point back then
Image Perfection.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:24 pm

Hiveswap act 1. A youtuber played it and i was like 'this looks really cool' but i didn't get into homestuck until about a year and a half ago. It has blessed and cursed me since.

Amerika
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Amerika » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:45 pm

the RPG monger. he made a video of the disastrous Homestuck fandom from 2012-2014ish and i tried it. best AND worst thing i've gotten into

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by Khiara » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:17 pm

When I was still in Undertale fandom, I searched a lot of UT song covers, including Megalovania. Then I found out that Toby used the song for two other franchises; Earthbound hack and Homestuck. That is when I started to figure who is that "horned fairy girl".

So out of my curiosity about the trolls, I went to [S] Past Karkat : Wake Up mini flash game.

That is when I fell in love with the trolls at the first time, especially Vriska. The music (thanks again Toby Fox), their diverse designs, personalities and conflicts really brought me up.

Then finally I decided to read Homestuck from the beginning, and I was so driven by its unique storytelling, also its marvelous musics (if it's not because of John's piano refrain, I'd probably not reading HS further. Because when I listened to it, I felt like there will be so much tragedy to happen--and I was right).

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

Auntie
Moon: Prospit

Post by Auntie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 pm

Honestly, from tumblr. For a while I wasn't interested because the fandom made it seem daunting and confusing and then my friend said "Ok I know homestuck SEEMS really long and it is but it's shorter than you think" and I was like alright, y'know what, I've read some fairly long webcomics in decent amounts of time, why not?
Current works: fanventure
Still alive, living slowly

lavendersiren
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by lavendersiren » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:08 am

Basically, someone from the mario paint composer community was into it and sent me a link over skype. I think it was RehdBlob? Also, one of the pokemon forums I was a member of had a lot of homestuck fans, as evident from the trolls I saw in their signatures.

It just all sorta surrounded me and I didn't know what I was getting into, only that it had bright colors that fed into my desire to consume bright colors. I read all the way through it until I caught up over the course of an unknown amount of days and eventually reached the page where Karkat revealed that he gave the universe cancer.
Image Image

eldritchCorvus
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by eldritchCorvus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 am

I was in the undertale fandom for a short time (spoiled myself by watching undertale gameplays on youtube) so I was intrested in learning more about Toby Fox, and when I heard that he made music for homestuck I didn't know what it was, so I've gone and read it, and now I'm here
I'm the local alien ceiling cat

TrizzaTethis
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Mage of Hope

Post by TrizzaTethis » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:09 pm

Near 2010 I tried to read it and gave up, forgot about it...

Come 2 or 3 years later, Tumblr showed me a picture of one of the trolls (I think Karkat?) and told me to read Homestuck. So I decided to give it a try. Then a few pages later I remembered I tried before, but this time I stuck with it.

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:17 pm

I saw Homestuck's trolls mentioned as an example of good character design on springhole.net (a writing tips website) and was like, huh, what do they look like?

Thus began my pain.
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:37 pm

I overheard some of my friends back in high school talking about it, specifically in regards to shipping, and, since I've always been kind of a literary nerd, I quickly became curious. I asked them what exactly they were talking about, and I got the rigamarole on trolls and troll romance, and from there I went and binged the entirety of what was out at the time (Just before [S] Game Over) in a couple days
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:10 am

My job is vending at conventions so I would always see cosplayers for it, but never got into it. So a while later a family member told me how great it was. I was skeptical at first that it could be THAT good, but I gave it a chance and was hooked pretty much instantly. Now I've read it all, played Hiveswap, done all the Friendsims, Pesterquests, even kept up with Act Omega for the short time that was out, and of course the epilogues and everything that has come out since. Normally I don't stick with fandoms that intensely, but I did with Homestuck. Even through all the changes it has gone through over the years, I have stuck with it. Some of my best cosplays were Homestuck cosplays (Signless and Disciple are 2 of my best yet). I've even gotten in and out of other fandoms during this time, but Homestuck has really stuck with me, pardon the pun.

hailvera
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Seer of Life

Post by hailvera » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 pm

My boyfriend told me to read it last summer, and after much complaining, I eventually got into it.

Ralsei
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: rogue of hope

Post by Ralsei » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:07 pm

A Tumblr user (@asexualmew, inactive now) and some of their friends introduced it to me. This would've been late 2016 after Act 7 came out.
check out my website vriskadidnothingwrong.com

Monckat

Post by Monckat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:16 pm

a friend who was into homestuck got me to play undertale about a day or two after it came out, and shortly after i stumbled across [s] wake while looking for megalovania remixes. this was back when searching for 'megalovania' on youtube would give you [s] wake in the first few results lol.

i asked the same friend if reading this homestuck thing would be a good idea, and she strongly advised me against it cause she didn't think it'd be my style. so naturally i HAD to read it.

Notchine

Post by Notchine » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:03 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:48 am
i made a bet with someone from twitter. i had to liveread it and id get 2 kebabs for free. the thread of me reading it should be still up lol
Were you able to get the kebabs in the end?

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 am

Notchine wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:03 am
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:48 am
Were you able to get the kebabs in the end?
indeed i did, altho i read the whole thing in like two weeks so i couldnt get them all when i finished it.
:rosecool: