Doc Scratch IS the best villain

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Doc Scratch IS the best villain

Post by calamityCons » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm

Out of all the villainous forces in Homestuck, it is my firm belief that Doc Scratch is THE, ABSOLUTE, MOST SUCCESSFUL OF THEM ALL.

I mean this in both the traditional sense of him being the most successful in accomplishing his goals, and also in the sense of him as a character in a story. Literally none of his plans go awry, and he is an astonishingly well-executed genius character. He knows everything that is going to happen before it does and he knows it will all go his way because he MADE IT go his way. He's fucking spectacular and it sends a chill down my spine sometimes when I think about it for too long. I think it was a misstep to destroy him for the sake of a one-note and unengaging force of nature villain like Lord English, because Doc Scratch was just so much fucking cooler.
Last edited by calamityCons on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Re: Doc Scratch was the best villain

Post by thorondraco » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:11 am

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm
Out of all the villainous forces in Homestuck, it is my firm belief that Doc Scratch is THE, ABSOLUTE, MOST SUCCESSFUL OF THEM ALL.

I mean this in both the traditional sense of him being the most successful in accomplishing his goals, and also in the sense of him as a character in a story. Literally none of his plans go awry, and he is an astonishingly well-executed genius character. He knows everything that is going to happen before it does and he knows it will all go his way because he MADE IT go his way. He's fucking spectacular and it sends a chill down my spine sometimes when I think about it for too long. I think it was a misstep to destroy him for the sake of a one-note and unengaging force of nature villain like Lord English, because Doc Scratch was just so much fucking cooler.
In a way doc scratch is another interesting character sidelined by the power of zee PLOT. Albeit one that is more aware of what is going on and made peace with what he unleashes.

Its cool that hiveswap and the visual novels are showing him. if the implication in Friendsims is that things are not some predestined sburb bullshit, as the Doc himself implies with his whole spaghetti idiom. It of course shows that his competence is not derived from his awareness of the Script, not entirely, and he is a genius beyond his predestined purpose.
Whether or not he is the source of Hiveswap... i doubt. It seems like he is working with someone.

also tangent, what is the possibility that Script is an actual force in homestuck? It could refer both to storytelling and coding.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 am

The way Doc Scratch talks about his subservience to his Master feels like some elaborate BDSM roleplay. (I wouldn't call his devotion platonic even if it's asexual) He may find pleasure in topping from the bottom but that doesn't change that his man ain't shit.

He's fun and tragic. Ain't that something?

I think you're really missing out if you don't see Ultimate Self Dirk Strider as a Doc Scratch fighting for his own independence. Not because I want you to like Dirk, but because I think it enhances one's appreciation of Doc Scratch.
only bad takes here

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Doc Scratch is the best villain.
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:34 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:19 pm
Doc Scratch is the best villain.
Oh shit you're right!!!! I'm gonna fix the title.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: Doc Scratch IS the best villain

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Mr. Vanilla Milkshake is pretty fuckin rad and that's all there is to say on the matter
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:23 pm

sexy sexy uncle man
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:47 pm

egg wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:23 pm
sexy sexy uncle man
I suddenly remebered burgerpants from Undertale talking about why people found metaton attractive.

Mofo is a goddamn rectangle, and Dock scratch is a god damn circle.