Classpect discussion

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Ethatre
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Derse

Re: Classpect discussion

Post by Ethatre » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:24 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:14 pm
From Beyond Canon (Referring to John): "embodiment of the aspect of freedom."

Discuss?
breath representing freedom has been a known thing for a while now.

AsherCrane
Classpect: Rogue of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by AsherCrane » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:50 pm

Ethatre wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:24 pm
AsherCrane wrote:

Discuss?
I was more thinking if anyone has any thoughts on the use of the term embodiment. If people think it's just referring to him being a hero of it, or something more class oriented.

Ethatre
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Ethatre » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:31 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:50 pm
Ethatre wrote:
AsherCrane wrote:

Discuss?
I was more thinking if anyone has any thoughts on the use of the term embodiment. If people think it's just referring to him being a hero of it, or something more class oriented.
he has turned into the wind a few times, so it would make sense for an heir to embody their aspect

loomingDoom
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Knight of Light

Post by loomingDoom » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:50 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Ethatre wrote:
AsherCrane wrote:

Discuss?
Him embodying freedom also kinda means that he's the best placed to just free anyone in general of anything

javitaxy
Pronouns: she/he/they

Post by javitaxy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:29 am

AsherCrane wrote:
Ethatre wrote:
AsherCrane wrote:

Discuss?
I'd say it's a class thing. IIRC, Heirs are meant to "become" their aspects, more than any of the other classes. It's quite literal when we see him turn into wind, but I believe it's also uhh a bit more metaphorical, with him embodying or becoming "freedom".
:ecstatic: Ey

MP the OP OG
Pronouns: She/Her/they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by MP the OP OG » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:08 pm

ok, I honestly think that there is a distinct water symbolism present with all of the light players. Vriskas land is covered in water and even fights her dedizin underwater. Roes land is the land of light and rain, and the horrorteors, who are represented by squidles mind you, have a seeming interest her eventually being consumed by their darkness and going grimdark. you know what else is dark? Deep water. Areans post-scratch self is a pirate and she is the only one who openly calls herself a friend of Menah, who is a seadweler. so what could this mean? while I think the water could represent uncertainty, it is something they have to overcome to put their trust in fortune and discover true knowledge.
Many thoughts head full (but most of the thoughts are shitposts)

loomingDoom
Classpect: Knight of Light

Post by loomingDoom » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:38 pm

MP the OP OG wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:08 pm
ok, I honestly think that there is a distinct water symbolism present with all of the light players. Vriskas land is covered in water and even fights her dedizin underwater. Roes land is the land of light and rain, and the horrorteors, who are represented by squidles mind you, have a seeming interest her eventually being consumed by their darkness and going grimdark. you know what else is dark? Deep water. Areans post-scratch self is a pirate and she is the only one who openly calls herself a friend of Menah, who is a seadweler. so what could this mean? while I think the water could represent uncertainty, it is something they have to overcome to put their trust in fortune and discover true knowledge.
I would say it also sort of ties with certain view of time itself and fate, like how fate is like a river, it flows in one direction but its also uncertain but if you're a Light player which deals both with luck so uncertainty but also with knowledge which is in some sense the opposite. Your destiny in the water seems uncertain but if you know just enough about your conditions in said water, you will know down which branching path you will end and if you know even more and look far enough ahead, you can even see what the future might hold for you and able to choose which path you will go down if you play your cards right.

terezis_gay_lusus
Pronouns: she/he/they/it/god
Classpect: Thief of Light

Post by terezis_gay_lusus » Fri May 21, 2021 12:44 pm

I'm a Thief of Light! I share a classpect with you-know-who, and it makes sense because even before I was trying to classpect myself, I always felt very strongly toward Vriska and related to her a lot. So, I think it makes sense!
I also do have a thing for stealing the attention off of other people. If someone tells me a joke, there is a 99% chance I will end up telling that joke to someone as if I came up with it myself.
Also, since Light can represent knowledge, I can have a tendency toward stealing others' Light in a sense, by stealing their knowledge, such as discreetly cheating on a test or stealing someone's homework answers.
Light is also like spotlight, so stealing other's Light in that sense is a given. I show off in class or in band any chance I get, even if someone else wants to show off, I'll be sure to try and show them up somehow.
I also have always been pretty superstitious and reliant on luck! I like rolling dice, playing with magic 8 balls, and doing other things to test out my own luck.
So yeah, I think my classpect fits me very well. However, I am slightly nicer than Vriska, I do think.
TT: How cool do you think it is having my own godawful personality mirrored back at me all the time, reminding me what it must be like when other people have to deal with me?
TT: Do you have any idea how fucking sick I am of myself?

terezis_gay_lusus
Pronouns: she/he/they/it/god
Classpect: Thief of Light

Post by terezis_gay_lusus » Fri May 21, 2021 12:46 pm

Razzykins wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:02 pm
And, for the REAL question, what color and outfit is the best combot, there's only one REAL answer... Knight of Rage.
Not to flex my own classpect, but Thief of Light godtier is definitely at least in the top three coolest combos. Knight of Rage is pretty dope though.
TT: How cool do you think it is having my own godawful personality mirrored back at me all the time, reminding me what it must be like when other people have to deal with me?
TT: Do you have any idea how fucking sick I am of myself?

TantamountTurnabout
Pronouns: He/him

Post by TantamountTurnabout » Tue May 25, 2021 10:13 pm

*taps mic*
ya'll ever think about how many homophones there are in the classpects, and how easily they could be reversed, to give you Classpects like "Breath of Air" or "Time of Night".
I remember putting a lot of thought into an old sketchbook figuring out these fun hypothetical reversed classpects, but the only one that sticks to mind is the Light Class. A passive class of one who Leads through their aspect, as one would follow a beacon or guiding star, or can reveal things otherwise unknown or obscured. Like an inverted Seer, their class doesn't only reveal things to themselves through their aspect, but to others. Does that mean you could have a Light of Light you ask why yes I say and it would probably make Luck or the given odds of a course of action visible or manifest (allowing them to seek or avoid actions of more or less fortune) not only for the Light, but for their allies as well (perhaps even for their foes? Interesting)

Oh no this made me think about the star arcarna and now i'm just thinking about using the major arcana as classpects and Oh that's Oh Man What's up I'm the Fool of Heart, The Death of Strength.

THE HEIR OF CUPS
*demonterializes*

TantamountTurnabout
Pronouns: He/him

Post by TantamountTurnabout » Mon May 31, 2021 3:33 pm

(Was going to make a separate post for this, and realized i probably fit in better here)
So I've been having some thoughts lately about he Page class, and how a lot of Homestuck's themes tie into them and how they're used. Specifically the theme of shortcuts or cheating. Homestuck has a fairly neutral approach to cheating, honestly! Not particularly moralized in one direction or another, characters of all traits and alignments use various skills to circumvent the path laid out for them. Rose magically lifts and disassembles an undersea temple rather than explore its depths, Equius just, Jumps to his portal, the kids receive a massive amount of spoilers/help from the troll kid's session to get through their own session faster. It's not portrayed as a positive or a negative, so much as a neutral thing you can do in a video game.

However, Pages seem to be incompatible with these shortcuts. Pages are said to have the highest potential of any of the classes, but require the greatest patience and effort to realize. You can't just "Skip to the end" with Pages, or MinMax your way to unlock their powers as fast as you want.
We see Tavros, the Page of Breath, not only surviving on his bespoke planet, but Thriving. His innate affection and empathy for others and animals lets him commune with what would otherwise be his enemies, and enlist their help to further his own quest. He's doing well! He enjoys working on the puzzles and it's a successful unique strategy that no one else could have accomplished. This is the most we ever see Tavros succeeding at something, and its while left completely to his own devices. His progress, his personal journey, is Happening. Until it's abruptly cut off, and we never see him working with it again.
Contrast this to how Vriska approaches his "training." Vriska wants Tavros to be strong, wants him to achieve all the potential he's meant to, and to do it Right Now. She puts him through tests and hardships that he's not ready for, as an attempt to "toughen him up" or make him stronger. Ironically the further she pushes him, the more she breaks him, making him physically and emotionally less capable. The one most invested in his success, is the ultimate reason behind his failure. Vriska (who Loves shortcuts, Loves to cheat, anything to win) is incapable of succeeding at this task (make tavros great) because it can't be accomplished by skipping past the boring parts. Jake, similarly, is done no favors by a Serket's eagerness to Skip to The Good Bits. He never really gets much control or understanding of his powers, going from either Jake But With Tights, to a full on nuclear Hope Splosion, with no in between. Even Dirk got a hand on the Page Ball, proccupying himself with training Jake to get stronger, without paying any attention to who Jake really was, or what Jake wanted or needed. (Though this is consistent with how Bro treated Dave as well) (and come to think of it, both Tavros and Jake are stuck in these messes because they have an extremely difficult time saying no, Tavros because he's, well, abused, and Jake because he's just too dang polite)

It seems as if Serkets characters are drawn to Pages potentials, but don't understand how that potential has to be manifested or achieved. They push harder, hold on tighter, when the answer is to let go. It seems somewhat extra tragic that these sessions would be so twisted and corrupted that shortcuts and corner cutting became almost necessary for it to progress. If we're meant to believe that things happen the way they did because it's the One Timeline that had success (and just take a big sip from our Ignoring John's Powers Mug), then there's no solution in which these Pages were allowed to grow as they needed. Extra ironic, then, is the meta idea that watching the kids and trolls play the game as it was intended, would be much more boring and predictable. SBURB isn't really the story, Homestuck is the story. The space and time the Pages needed isn't just incompatible with how these games were played, it's incompatible with how a story can be written.
*demonterializes*

zealousZombie
Classpect: Witch Of Life

Post by zealousZombie » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:59 pm

Witch Of Life!!
I Really Don't Know What Powers I Would Have... Maybe Just Manipulation Of Life Itself? Like Extending Life Or Something.
zeal~
(Something Something Homestuck. :orange:)

Disgustedorite
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by Disgustedorite » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:29 pm

I'm a Mage of Light. I'm a mega nerd who knows things for kicks (and to guide myself of course). Never put me in the same room as any other Lightbound, we will never stop talking.
Sagan 4 - collaborative worldbuilding community that's older than Homestuck and still active

Tofutush++
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Prince of Void

Post by Tofutush++ » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:50 pm

My classpect is the Prince of Void. I didn't get it through quizzes; I decided it myself. In the extended zodiac they say, "blank page, an empty canvas, that's what the Void-bound live for." I destroy the void by creating things, like artwork and stories, making it not-void anymore.

This is also why my land is Land of Paper and Ink. Perfect match.

Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Classpect: Sylph of Heart

Post by Avatar Mary » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 pm

I'm a sylph of heart so i heal souls which is cool

gracey
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Void

Post by gracey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:15 pm

My classpect since around 2017 has been Mage of Void. I've grown a lot since then so it'd probably be different if I re-took all the tests (though i still get void on the extended zodiac to this day) but my online alias has been Empty Wizard (get it??) for a while so it's kinda hard to go with anything else.
I generally choose to interpret a Mage of Void as one who holds vast understanding over concepts that are currently unknown or unknowable, which would be particularly useful in a game where everything is a fucking paradox and nobody knows what the fuck is going on. You could also interpret the idea of having an understanding of nothingness as someone who's extremely creative, able to pull ideas from nowhere and build anything from nothing. The other funnier interpretation is making myself a complete idiot, someone who literally knows nothing. I tend to identify with the latter more lmao.
Another working theory I have is perceiving "benefitting oneself/others with knowledge of nothing" as a player being a clear-headed thinker, who is able to make objective and logical decisions in even the most tense situations, thus being highly dependable to lead a group in the game (probably would make a great auspistice too).

Drynx
Classpect: Thief of Void

Post by Drynx » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:06 pm

Mine is Thief of Void. I am not very familiar with this classpect but it can do things like steal the meaninglessness or insignificance out of something to make it important :/

angst
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by angst » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:25 am

Uh PAge of Light here, I guess.
:rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: