SBURB + Early Programming-esque Mechanics

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Re: SBURB + Early Programming-esque Mechanics

Post by calamityCons » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:05 am

You’re right! As I got older and took computer science classes in community college, the fact all the early game mechanics resemble the early methods of programming and computer code just seem adorable. It’s like having a whole game built around improving and iterating on old computer programming methods, and eventually reinventing computers again.

Also, the data structure fuckups of the sylladex were really cute, and John learning to weaponize it with WV’s help is really rewarding in his first Imp fight.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

Post by classpectanon » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 am

iirc hussie is actually a comp sci person and not an author, which in retrospect explains a lot about the structure of homestuck as a story and why it is in some ways so amusingly nontraditional
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:21 pm

classpectanon wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 am
iirc hussie is actually a comp sci person and not an author, which in retrospect explains a lot about the structure of homestuck as a story and why it is in some ways so amusingly nontraditional
that might explain why HS^2 does feel very different. Its being written by some people who have a better grasp on how storytelling actually works. Though that was some of the charm of old homestuck, that it was written by a guy who was very nontraditional. Even if it got really messy