Of the characters most everyone hates, which is your favorite and why?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
BrobyDDark

Of the characters most everyone hates, which is your favorite and why?

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 am

Examples: Jake, Jane, Dirk, Vriska, Eridan

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: Of the characters most everyone hates, which is your favorite and why?

Post by arachnidsGrip » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:39 am

Vriska, Jake, and Eridan are honestly the only ones I like out of the most hated, in order from my most to least liked.

I like Vriska the most because she's a mess, but she's a mess in ways that I relate to. She's just generally a complex and well written character to me.

My opinion on Jake borders more on bittersweet. He's almost objectively a moron, and hurt a handful of people, but it's just. He's just stupid. He's an idiotic coward, and I can't help but relate to that a little bit. I feel obligated to like him on some level, if only because I see some of myself in him. He's also pretty funny sometimes.

And finally, the fish incel himself. This one is almost ENTIRELY a liking forged from obligation, rather than any actual genuine liking. I like his physical character design (his looks), and I like that he does some influential stuff, but otherwise it's just... eh. He did some horrible stuff, stuff I absolutely don't condone or think that he was justified in, but I also kinda like him. But aside from that, I'm also kind of obligated to like him since I'm also an Aquarius.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:19 am

Caliborn.
Spoiler
Show

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 am

Vriska, Gamzee, or Equius mainly. Eridan I can see the reasons why he's done what he's done but, eh, fish incel, and Dirk is just great but it hasn't come far enough to see if I can justify his actions in my own moral headspace
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Cyber-Fan
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by Cyber-Fan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:04 am

Dirk because he's the best villain the comic has had since Jack Noir.

I also like him a lot pre-epilogues.

gutza1
Pronouns: Male
Classpect: Mage of Space

Post by gutza1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:11 am

I enjoy Caliborn, Eridan, and Gamzee as villains, though I think the latter shouldn't have just been sidelined after Murderstuck. I also find Vriska to be an interesting and complex character, and I find the "Johnvris redemption arc" to be very compelling due to my own personal beliefs, but I most definitely do not excuse her actions.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:49 am

I like Jane and Feferi and most of the Beforan trolls unironically. There's no particular reason why - I just think they're funny and interesting.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life

Post by Leddy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Firstly, is Caliborn a character people hate on the same level as Vriska, Eridan, or Gamzee, everyone I've seen likes him for being really hilarious? Same goes for a few mentioned in this thread (Like Feferi and Equius get a mention) Those two seem more neutral and in the middle than severly hated.

If that is a thing than Caliborn I suppose, Jake as well is there.

Caliborn is popular enough that I think people understand where I'm coming from on this one. Caliborn is super funny and hilarious to watch, I find him really compelling and one of the few villains that are likeable because they're a villain compared to a protganist. If he's counted as a super hated character I'm surprised honestly.

Jake is well, he's another story. Jake is very rarely harmful to anyone on purpose, he's got his heart set in the right place but he's just a dumbass a lot of the time. He isn't really responsible for how others treat him, but Jake definitely got a pretty raw deal just constantly being the dumbass. Even still though, I find myself liking Jake and rooting for him a little. The last part of Candy is a good example of a better version of Jake, but before that he's just way too dense. I feel like if they had handled his character better than to just be the walking imbelcile everywhere he goes that he would've been a far better character, and I can rarely keep myself hating a character for the writer doing a poor job with them.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:09 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 am
Probably Jake. I've genuinely never understood why people hate him so much, beyond the alphas in general being pretty mediocre. i also see a lot of dislike for union jack on account of probably being more immoral than spades slick but less interesting than bec noir. That, and the lord english possession thing was sort of a wasted potential. but you have to admit he was pretty entertaining during the span of his tragically short life

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:18 pm

Bahinchut wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:09 pm
BrobyDDark wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 am
Probably Jake. I've genuinely never understood why people hate him so much, beyond the alphas in general being pretty mediocre. i also see a lot of dislike for union jack on account of probably being more immoral than spades slick but less interesting than bec noir. That, and the lord english possession thing was sort of a wasted potential. but you have to admit he was pretty entertaining during the span of his tragically short life
I'm gonna be honest

I forgot Union Jack was even a thing

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:33 pm

I absolutely love both Vriska and Eridan. They're actually two of my favorite characters.

Vriska is an absolute mess growing up in an awful situation thanks to Spidermom and her never ending hunger and trying to live up to Mindfang's image. She's a messed up kid trying to do her best and still live a normal life, all the while having to send countless trolls to their death. She's conniving and manipulative, but I honestly like that about her, because for all that she is, she's still honest and doesn't apologize for who she is or what she does. She just does what she has to and gets so much stronger for it. Because of what she's gone through, and the end of it all, she's one strong bad ass capable of taking on almost anything that is thrown her way.

Eridan may have been a genocidal desperate ass, but he did try to reach out time and time again, only to have almost everyone basically give him the finger. He was lonely and misguided and thought the best option was to just kill everyone. Ok, so not really the right option, but in his messed up mind, he probably thought it would make his life better. I think if his character had had more time to develop, he could have been pretty awesome. His Pesterquest route is one of the ones I'm looking forward to the most, just to kind of get some background info on him to kind of see what makes him tick.

I guess I have always had a soft spot for the villains and just kind of want to fix them.

Ian Gitax

Post by Ian Gitax » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Equius.

asocksual
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: seer of space I think

Post by asocksual » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 pm

Jane Crocker! Her and Roxy and Calliope have the potential to have this excellent and adorable dynamic, kinda stereotypical teenage girl stuff at its best but with an extra gay and homestuck-y twist.
:kitty: hi.

Royaute
Classpect: Waste of Time

Post by Royaute » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Gamzee, Spades Slick, and Caliborn. They're all really entertaining in their own ways, or simply entertaining in general. Would've loved to see more of them, but the fanbase just doesn't fucking care about anyone outside a few handful of characters so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:50 pm

Royaute wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:53 pm
Gamzee, Spades Slick, and Caliborn. They're all really entertaining in their own ways, or simply entertaining in general. Would've loved to see more of them, but the fanbase just doesn't fucking care about anyone outside a few handful of characters so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
people who aren't official writers hate spades slick?

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:55 pm

Eridan.

Tarty_

Post by Tarty_ » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Gamzee and Eridan are both an absolute riot. I'd put Caliborn there too but I honestly doubt he's widely hated in a meta "fuck this guy" sense rather than just being a really good villain.

also Cronus :andrew:

ZingDev
Pronouns: Male

Post by ZingDev » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:44 pm

I feel this is typical, but Gamzee and Vriska.

Vriska was complicated and i feel like she was a fun and great character through most of homestuck,

But Gamzee is a weird one. I never view him as a villain but rather a force of nature that causes a mix of unsettling comfort or a storm of discord when ever he is involved in something relevant to the plot. Which is why i kinda hated that he was made as a Generic abuser in act 6 and actually loved him through out the candy epilogues.

Boter
Classpect: Gent of Piss

Post by Boter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Eridan. His design is so cool!

On an unrelated note, anyone else spending Thanksgiving alone?
A reckoning shall not be postponed indefinitely. Like comment and subscribe.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Eridan because he didnt deserve this whole hate thing he has around him.

um, maybe its my favourite because of pity? thats weird.
:rosecool: