POSITIVE Unpopular Opinions Thread!

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Ralsei
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: rogue of hope
Moon: Prospit

POSITIVE Unpopular Opinions Thread!

Post by Ralsei » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Since so many of the posts in the Unpopular Opinions Thread are about complaining about things the poster didn't like, how about we talk about some things we DO like that a lot of other people don't?
check out my website vriskadidnothingwrong.com

Ralsei

Re: POSITIVE Unpopular Opinions Thread!

Post by Ralsei » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:10 pm

I'll start: I really like Mituna and Latula. Their designs are cool and their relationship is one of the sweetest in the comic.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:12 pm

The Intermission is absolutely wonderful and an excellent primer for the kinds of reality bending antics to come in Act 4 and onwards.

Spades Slick and Karkat had a genuinely caring relationship with one another, even if it's really kinda fucked up because Slick does a lot of stabbing.

John and Rose are excellent together, they have wonderfully wholesome chemistry and it's always so moving to me that Rose was so touched by John's gift and his giving her the means toward her own self-improvement not just by giving her knitting needles that become her weapon of choice, but also when he doesn't treat Rose like a monster or like she's broken in any way when he encounters her all Grimdark. John loves and supports Rose in a very sincere and genuine way, and Rose returns the favor twofold toward him, and then he has to give even more back, until it's a beautiful positive feedback loop where they just raise each other up forever. I love them, and I will ship them till the day I die.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Trickster Mode

gutza1
Pronouns: Male
Classpect: Mage of Space

Post by gutza1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:59 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:12 pm
Trickster Mode
Seconded. I also thought the "Caucasian" joke was just a lighthearted parody of the fights fans had over race headcanons.

Ralsei

Post by Ralsei » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 am

gutza1 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:59 pm
BrobyDDark wrote:
Trickster Mode
Seconded. I also thought the "Caucasian" joke was just a lighthearted parody of the fights fans had over race headcanons.
On a related note, I actually like the "Peachy" joke. It's a bad pun based off of the characters appearances and that's exactly my type of humor.

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by arachnidsGrip » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:25 am

I'm not entirely sure this is unpopular, but I really liked Game Over! I mean, I don't really like all of the kids dying, but I do like the displays of power, the various dynamics clashing, how people react in dire situations, and what all of that even meant.

For example, one thing I found interesting was seeing Noir and PM putting their hatred for each other aside to try and save Jade the only way they knew how. Another was how Jake, this cowardly loser of a dude, jumped in front of a sword WITHOUT HESITATION because he saw that it was going to harm Jane, DESPITE the fact that Jane had been pretty awful to him immediately prior.

It also shows how powerful Aranea is, at points even rivaling The Condesce's power. An example of this would be them both being able to throw around the kids' planets with ease.

Finally, and I know I've said this elsewhere, but to me it showed just how incredibly brutal the game can be. I don't think so much death and destruction happens so quickly anywhere else in the comic, aside from the ghost massacre in [S] Collide.

[S] Game Over was a very interesting and telling flash in my opinion.

nonsenseMnemonic
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nonsenseMnemonic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 am

Jake is cute and charming

gutza1

Post by gutza1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:38 am

I don't think Dirkjake is a fundamentally problematic ship. It's only an issue if it involves Ultimate/Asshole/Toxic Dirk. But if Dirk learns to control his toxic tendancies, the pairing could work pretty well.

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:56 am

The hidden lore of the Dancestors and the story of the Alternian ancestors are my favorite side stories in Homestuck
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 am

gutza1 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:38 am
I don't think Dirkjake is a fundamentally problematic ship. It's only an issue if it involves Ultimate/Asshole/Toxic Dirk. But if Dirk learns to control his toxic tendancies, the pairing could work pretty well.
This but also Jake learning to be the macho adventurer he really is on the inside instead of being a pushover. They could've both gone through their character arcs in the comic and came out with a healthy relationship.

asocksual
Classpect: seer of space I think

Post by asocksual » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am

Jane Crocker isn't boring and has the potential to be an extremely caring friend! Also god I miss her dynamic with Roxy and Calliope.
:kitty: hi.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:07 am

calamityCons wrote:
The Intermission is absolutely wonderful and an excellent primer for the kinds of reality bending antics to come in Act 4 and onwards.
It's an unpopular opinion thread, not a popular one
:rosecool:

gutza1

Post by gutza1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 am

Yeah. In general, I don't like why people say you need to get through Acts 1-4 and the Intermission as soon as possible. Those acts not only introduce people to the world of Homestuck, including the interesting Sburb mechanics, but are also the best examples of old Homestuck's humor and portrayal of internet friendship. In my opinion, they are just as good as Act 5.

Cole

Post by Cole » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:48 am

diamonds droog

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:45 am

Cole wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:48 am
diamonds droog
I agree with this one

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Darth_Energon wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:45 am
Cole wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:48 am
diamonds droog
I agree with this one
Same.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Ralsei wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:10 pm
I'll start: I really like Mituna and Latula. Their designs are cool and their relationship is one of the sweetest in the comic.
controversial but: mitula is the only relationship which doesn't suffer from any flaws, as opposed to literally all other pairings
calamityCons wrote:
John and Rose are excellent together, they have wonderfully wholesome chemistry and it's always so moving to me that Rose was so touched by John's gift and his giving her the means toward her own self-improvement not just by giving her knitting needles that become her weapon of choice, but also when he doesn't treat Rose like a monster or like she's broken in any way when he encounters her all Grimdark. John loves and supports Rose in a very sincere and genuine way, and Rose returns the favor twofold toward him, and then he has to give even more back, until it's a beautiful positive feedback loop where they just raise each other up forever. I love them, and I will ship them till the day I die.
i 100% agree, grimdorks is actually good
arachnidsGrip wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:25 am
I'm not entirely sure this is unpopular, but I really liked Game Over! I mean, I don't really like all of the kids dying, but I do like the displays of power, the various dynamics clashing, how people react in dire situations, and what all of that even meant.

For example, one thing I found interesting was seeing Noir and PM putting their hatred for each other aside to try and save Jade the only way they knew how. Another was how Jake, this cowardly loser of a dude, jumped in front of a sword WITHOUT HESITATION because he saw that it was going to harm Jane, DESPITE the fact that Jane had been pretty awful to him immediately prior.

It also shows how powerful Aranea is, at points even rivaling The Condesce's power. An example of this would be them both being able to throw around the kids' planets with ease.

Finally, and I know I've said this elsewhere, but to me it showed just how incredibly brutal the game can be. I don't think so much death and destruction happens so quickly anywhere else in the comic, aside from the ghost massacre in [S] Collide.

[S] Game Over was a very interesting and telling flash in my opinion.
Game Over is the quintessence of one of the comic's main themes: dying for someone you care about is the best way to die (well, minus the whole dying in front of them thing).
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:56 pm

an opinion on my own:

karkat and terezi's relationship had a positive influence on both of them, be it romantic or wholly platonic
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:05 pm

calamityCons wrote:

Spades Slick and Karkat had a genuinely caring relationship with one another, even if it's really kinda fucked up because Slick does a lot of stabbing.

its also a great introduction to all the wanton violence in homestuck. Acts 1 through 3 have some cartoon violence and wacky slapstick, but the intermission seriously ups the ante with eye mutilation, decapitation, time-hop-goring, torso piercing, bullet riddling, etc. etc. And what's one of the first things to happen after the intermission? Dave gets his fucking throat slit by one of those intermission dudes. Like pottery.