Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope
Moon: Derse

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:03 am

madeforascreenshot wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:29 am
I have never read this stupid dum dum bum ass comic or at least not past the fith act
Honestly, stopping after Act 5 is probably the best thing to do anyway.

I wish I knew to do that in retrospect.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

Placebo
Pronouns: Call me wtv u want
Classpect: Lord of stupidity
Moon: Prospit

Post by Placebo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:59 am

Davekat isn't that good :rosecool:
WH4T 4R3 P4R3NTS

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 am

All the canon ships are bad (except johnrezi that was pretty cute)

fight me

AsherCrane
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by AsherCrane » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:31 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 am

fight me
Just to clarify here, is this all Canon ships *Ever*, or just the canon ships that are sailing? (Like how Dave/Jade isn't currently *really* a working ship, but it did exist at one point).

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:56 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:31 pm
BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 am

fight me
Just to clarify here, is this all Canon ships *Ever*, or just the canon ships that are sailing? (Like how Dave/Jade isn't currently *really* a working ship, but it did exist at one point).
I guess all the one's Epilogues through now would be what I'm talking about. Like how Jane/Jake was awful, though not technically sailing, its still a thing that happened (is happening?) Just fuckin awful.

And Rosemary is a tragedy at the moment... John x Roxy seems to have only happened to once more kick John in the nard. Davekat is just

there?

And Jake x Dirk is still singlehandedly the most toxic relationship in existence.

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Davekat could be interesting if they retained even the slightest bit of their original dynamic,
instead of just converting them into mouthpieces for psychiatric advice and "uwu soft gay boiz~"

Rosemary is fucking boring.

Roserezi is dumb and comes out of nowhere.

John x Roxy was cute in the original comic, but like Davekat, they just made it boring as shit.

Honestly, I fucking hate Gamzee and Jane both, but their kismesissitude was probably one of the more entertaining things about the Epilogues.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 pm

I like most of Homestuck (1) because apparently that is an unpopular opinion in current days/always, maybe.

Hiveswap good. (for what's actually been released)

Homestuck^2 is entirely neutral for me, no strong positive or negative opinions whatsoever.
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

harmoniousCalamity
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Lord Of Doom

Post by harmoniousCalamity » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:22 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 pm
I like most of Homestuck (1) because apparently that is an unpopular opinion in current days/always, maybe.

Homestuck^2 is entirely neutral for me, no strong positive or negative opinions whatsoever.
Personally I enjoyed a huge majority of homestuck as well, it's mostly post-recton that muddles it for me. So I don't think that's too much of an unpopular opinion? Just that people draw the line differently when homestuck stops being good to them.

I also agree that Hiveswap, the stuff that's come out has really been good or at the very least cute. I don't think we're ever going to see an Act2 though, which is a shame honestly. I do feel like there's quite a bit to explore, with troll lore, and old earth lore. I feel like releasing friendsim for me was kind of the sign that they might not ever get to Act2 fully and they at least wanted to show us everyone, looking back on it.

And honestly I'd be more neutral with HS^2 if it didn't technically start in the epilogues and have more of a root in true canon, because just that alone it leaves me with the feeling of disgust.
HC: There are twelve main classes Muse, Seer, Knight, Witch, Rogue, Heir, Page, Thief, Mage, Prince, Bard, Maid, and Lord---
YN:[yeah dude. Sylphs are fucking gay.].
HC: Shut up!

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm

harmoniousCalamity wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:22 pm
foreverFlummoxed wrote:
[snip]
[snop]
It seems opinions I've heard before of Homestuck are either "after Cascade is not worth reading" (Act 6 is not as good or whatever) or "retcon was bad and made no sense" but I don't really agree with either of them. The not that large percentage of Homestuck I dislike comes down to "toxic relations that either get looked over for reasons and not terrible relations being blown out of proportion for reasons" or "this certain world building thing(s) should have had more development"

At least Act 2 has a trailer. Friendsim was very good, it's quality was never "this is as good as the other works at the time" but it was also not poorly written to the point of "I don't understand anything more about this character besides what was presented beforehand." The overall opinion on Friendsim: establishment of characters was well done, and it was a good idea for what it was originally trying to do (content between act 1 and 2) but could never replace Hiveswap Act 2.

Epilogues I didn't read (oops?) but I believe i may have gotten a mostly concise picture of things that went down, so it's possible that either HS^2 is an entirely neutral outlook for me due to not reading the Epilogues or I would have felt completely neutral about the Epilogues as well (I would say the latter would most likely be true but there is no way to tell.) Pesterquest wasn't as good as Freindsim but I have a slightly more positive outlook on it than completely neutral, in some instances it did do some welcomed character backstory development (Karkat's struggles with drone patrols, why Nepeta is the only beta troll not living in a hive*... small things that may or may not have need clearing up) and the parts that most people seemed to hate, I didn't necessarily have too much of a problem with. PQ alright but without it not a lot changes without it.

Here's a definite unpopular opinion: I like Problem Sleuth as much as Homestuck. an equal amount, not one over the other, they are both extremely well done.

*Aradia is technically not living but she still had the ruins of her Hive to haunt
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

Consolo

Post by Consolo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:13 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Here's a definite unpopular opinion: I like Problem Sleuth as much as Homestuck. an equal amount, not one over the other, they are both extremely well done.
I unironically think that if Sepulchritude was made into a flash with hype music it would have outshadowed most Homestuck flashes outside of Cascade and maybe Collide.
what if there were two guys on the moon and one killed another with a rock would that be fucked up or what

luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Post by luigi » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:37 am

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 pm
Davekat could be interesting if they retained even the slightest bit of their original dynamic,
instead of just converting them into mouthpieces for psychiatric advice and "uwu soft gay boiz~"

Rosemary is fucking boring.

Roserezi is dumb and comes out of nowhere.

John x Roxy was cute in the original comic, but like Davekat, they just made it boring as shit.

Honestly, I fucking hate Gamzee and Jane both, but their kismesissitude was probably one of the more entertaining things about the Epilogues.
I'd be fine with the soft gay boys if it was still intercut with them being their old selves. Like they go out in public and they're like aggressive adventuring dudes then they get home and you see the private moments where they're all uwu cute. That'd be a good balance. But its too much pointless cute to get me hooked.

Ironically they're in the meat timeline just vomiting out candy.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Post by luigi » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:38 am

foreverFlummoxed wrote:

Hiveswap good isn't unpopular.

Hiveswap's team's management and development cycle being anything close to satisfying is what would be unpopular.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

Jotunn
Pronouns: They/them

Post by Jotunn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:09 pm

Unpopular opinion:

All of Homestuck and the epilogues are great. I’m not talking about anything else (HS^2, Friendsim, etc.)
I like pretty much every character. They all have interesting dynamics and are all unique. At worst some can be underrepresented. The writing is funny and well done, the art ranges from ok to amazing and the story is fun and original. I also like the themes of Gnostasism. I’ve never read another story that alludes to that for some reason.

Also; you know how when you’re a lil kid every book or show is pretty much just a loose guidebook for playing pretend? Homestuck does that perfectly. I’ve daydreamed many physics classes away off in SBURB or hanging with the Homestuck cast.

I even like Vriska and Dirk :apple:

On another note, I don’t know about the Twitter Homestucks but on mspfa and discord the HS fandom is amazing. They’ve all been pretty nice to me and even though we can disagree on a lot, I hardly have experienced any intolerance.

vellinothewitch

Post by vellinothewitch » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 am

The concept AND execution of Acts 1-5 are perfect, and a modern masterpiece.

The concept of Act 6 (the other side of the scratch, characters seperated) is great but the execution (nothing happens) is dogshit.

Act 6 needed an editor.

Also trans Roxy is basically just Dave. Roxy was already basically Dave as girl so getting rid of the as girl part means you now have two of the same character, which is especially sucky considering they put trans Roxy in the one timeline where Dave is still around as his normal self.

harmoniousCalamity

Post by harmoniousCalamity » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:28 pm

vellinothewitch wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 am
The concept AND execution of Acts 1-5 are perfect, and a modern masterpiece.

The concept of Act 6 (the other side of the scratch, characters seperated) is great but the execution (nothing happens) is dogshit.

Act 6 needed an editor.

Also trans Roxy is basically just Dave. Roxy was already basically Dave as girl so getting rid of the as girl part means you now have two of the same character, which is especially sucky considering they put trans Roxy in the one timeline where Dave is still around as his normal self.
That last bit. Honestly, you're not entirely wrong. I feel like if we were talking about homestuck proper she would've been different from Dave in at least some ways if she did decided to transition to whatever. However, outside of comic, in the epilogue? HS^2? 100% Agree. When I first saw how Roxy was talking in that timeline, I was in fucking shock, because I honest to god thought that was Dave.
HC: There are twelve main classes Muse, Seer, Knight, Witch, Rogue, Heir, Page, Thief, Mage, Prince, Bard, Maid, and Lord---

loomingDoom
Classpect: Knight of Light

Post by loomingDoom » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:45 am

I'm a huge Roxy Fan, she's a very fun character. I love everything about her. Best character for me. In Homestuck

I'm all for trans characters, homosexual characters, bi or pan or anything.
I would be all for Trans Rox if it was done in Homestuck and done well. The key word is WELL.
Since Rox became trans. She lost pretty much all of her energy. She used to be hyper and funny and excited about everything and now she's just standing there, not doing anything and feels like her character is super repressed.

Honestly i would have accepted it way more if she was revealed to have been MTF all along rather then now after a whole story, she's FTM.

I enjoyed most of the routes from Pesterquest even those with character sprites i didn't like or personally don't agree with and feels like retconing AI Jane being the only shown "Fat" character but only after 1 year in the medium but pre entry she is now? And Terezi somehow? I mean sure you can do your fan art and headcanon all you want but can we please keep the character's look consistent?

But Roxy on a story level is the only route i really REALLY didn't like. They shoved "Foreshadowing" of her being trans onto her in the worst way possible, making her look obsessed with Dirk and her "Wanting to be like him" feels literally like she wants to "BE" him which really feels weird

Alchemy, Captchacodes, Capthalogue, Modus, Strifes and most of the game like mechanics that are unrelated to sburb itself are criminally under utilized and could have been amazing if more care and effort were put in into it (I'm a huge Captchacode nerd)

I'm all for representation but don't change long established character for the sake of it. That's not how to do representation. You do it by making new and compelling characters with said representation in mind. Harry Anderson in HS² honestly feels like he would be a perfect case of having a FTM character in Homestuck instead of Roxy which they even dropped the ball on not even changing her name for a male name. There's no way Vriska's actually trans and same for John as June. They're fun ideas and concept which could be done with alternate universe and such but not actually changing the canon characters. Because to me none of these character feel like them being trans are just natural progression of their characters but actual just changes and retcons.

While i love most of the ships the story settled in with. I do not like how they were handled. I like Rosemary, I like Davekat and so on. The issue is that the moment they became couples. All conflict between them and divergence in interest and individuality got defenestrated. The only conflict that Rose and Kanaya had was Rose starting to drink and it was resolved way too fast.

Equius is a great character
Eridan is a great character
Gamzee is a great character

All of the Sburb/Sgrub player characters are great characters except the Dancestors beside Meenah and Aranea. Every other Dancestors are one dimensional and uninteresting, they're just jokes. Just cus a character did bad stuff and were horrible doesn't make them bad characters.

Lastly its not really an opinion? But If the Trolls were so good at the game and beat everything, how the hell did only 2 of them god tier?

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:00 pm

loomingDoom wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:45 am
Lastly its not really an opinion? But If the Trolls were so good at the game and beat everything, how the hell did only 2 of them god tier?
Gotta die for Godtier, and dying is for Sgrubs.

loomingDoom

Post by loomingDoom » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:12 am

Being too good to die so you don't get godly powers... That's ironic

harmoniousCalamity

Post by harmoniousCalamity » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 pm

loomingDoom wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:12 am
Being too good to die so you don't get godly powers... That's ironic
You know you're right. Also thinking on this, how did more of them not die. Tbf we don't know much about Beforus other than the fact that it was coddle over culling nature wise irrc? Which means if anything they should've been at some disadvantage?

loomingDoom

Post by loomingDoom » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:43 pm

harmoniousCalamity wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 pm
You know you're right. Also thinking on this, how did more of them not die. Tbf we don't know much about Beforus other than the fact that it was coddle over culling nature wise irrc? Which means if anything they should've been at some disadvantage?
I think Beforian still have the violent nature of trolls, it just that Adult Fef ruled in a way that made all that violence illegal and rewarded trolls taking care of each other. They most likely still had a lot of violence, just not unpunished. Also I think all the Beforian trolls god tiered. Just the Alternian didn't. As for the Alternian ones they did say they were the best at the game and breezed through it so i guess they were strong enough to have none of them die...

Now that it think about it, only Vriska god tiered under "Normal" circumstances so most likely she kept that information for herself (Typical Vriska)