Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by luigi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks CC for clarifying on K's behalf :lime:
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind
Moon: Derse

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:54 pm

this is all because nowadays opinions are very polarized. youre either with them, or agaisnt them. this people just cant process something that is not on the furtherst sides of the straw.
:rosecool:

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:43 pm
The caucasian joke seemed like the intent was specifically to be offensive, and I don't like humor where the main intent is specifically to be offensive or piss off people. Making fun of people is okay up to a point, but poking the monkey when a topic is as charged in race in Homestuck is taking it a bit far.
Eh, I mean, Hussie's always struck me as a troll (pun not intended).

He did start out as a Something Awful Goon didn't he?
That's probably one of the less offensive jokes he could have made in the comic, given his background.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by Khiara » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:06 pm

luigi wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 am
I'm confused are you agreeing with the mentality that liking a certain character means you're a sympathizer for those traits irl or are you being sarcastic or am I an idiot who just can't parse language properly.
OMG sorry for confusing you. Yeah I was being a bit sarcastic there :'''D

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

eldomtom2
Pronouns: fuck off

Post by eldomtom2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Either troll romance is something only trolls can feel or it's unhealthy, because the whole system is blatantly designed to deal with a highly violent and mistrustful society.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:06 pm

eldomtom2 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 pm
Either troll romance is something only trolls can feel or it's unhealthy, because the whole system is blatantly designed to deal with a highly violent and mistrustful society.
wasn't it present on beforus, a comparably peaceful civilization, before it was present on alternia?

homeStank
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Seer of Mind

Post by homeStank » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:19 pm

overThinker wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:06 pm
eldomtom2 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 pm
wasn't it present on beforus, a comparably peaceful civilization, before it was present on alternia?
It was. Which implies one of two things.
Either trolls have a natural system of romance surrounding violence because they are inherently, on some level, more violent than humans, or Hussie didn't care much about the implications it would have on Beforus when writing stuff for it.

homeStank
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Seer of Mind

Post by homeStank » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 pm

OR, Even more interestingly, Beforus trolls had an ancient society that was plagued with violence in some way, until that Feferi came along and changed how it works. However, the tradition of the Quadrants was such a big part of culture that it stuck around. That's a headcanon though.

overThinker

Post by overThinker » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:37 am

homeStank wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 pm
OR, Even more interestingly, Beforus trolls had an ancient society that was plagued with violence in some way, until that Feferi came along and changed how it works. However, the tradition of the Quadrants was such a big part of culture that it stuck around. That's a headcanon though.
it is pure coincidence that i happened to come across this shortly after reading your reply, but this page confirms that doc scratch is responsible for alternia's violence, whereas beforus, a civilization unaffected by scratch, is comparably benevolent. this tells us that trolls aren't naturally belligerent, and, by extrapolation from the quadrants' presence on beforus, one can infer that they serve a purpose in a non-violent race. which is very interesting.

hussie may be intentionally writing trolls to be entirely analogous to humans (notwithstanding physiology), only diverging from humanity in culture due to their anatomical and environmental differences. the quadrants may be one of the effects of those differences, which would explain why john is able to develop seemingly caliginous feelings for terezi. this all makes me seriously doubt the notion that trolls are the only beings capable of quadrisected romance.

eldomtom2

Post by eldomtom2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 am

But John developing a calignous relationship with Terezi is idiotic, because that sort of relationship is blatantly unhealthy in humans.

Shitpost Lizard

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:28 am

eldomtom2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 am
But John developing a calignous relationship with Terezi is idiotic, because that sort of relationship is blatantly unhealthy in humans.
Rivalry and competition are not inherently negative.
They can drive you to improve yourself, which I think is something that Terezi (or maybe it was Karkat) directly stated was the benefit of having a kismesis to begin with.

It's just a matter of how you handle and execute your feelings of competition with someone.

Obviously stabbing and shooting each other like Jack and the Black Queen is an extreme.
Terezi and John seem more like they just play pranks and make playful jabs at each other (and have rough sex, if their time in the car is any indication). Which honestly is also an extremely human thing to do.
|Taurrius|

[I draw stuff.]

eldomtom2

Post by eldomtom2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:37 pm

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:28 am
eldomtom2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 am
Rivalry and competition are not inherently negative.
Yeah but that's not blackrom. Blackrom is competing with someone for the sake of proving yourself superior to them.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:41 pm

That's not blackrom? it's literally described as a healthy rivalry between two people, to the point it sometimes needs to be mediated to make sure nobody kills the other. Where did you come up with "blackrom is about proving yourself superior"? Sure, the examples we have been given to be introduced to the quadrant weren't healthy, but that's due to Troll society and spades slick being spades slick, not the quadrant itself being rotten
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

eldomtom2

Post by eldomtom2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:13 pm

If a rivalry threatens to get to the point of murder, it is not healthy. And blackrom is explicitly "especially potent arch-rivalry", not friendly rivalry or something where you still have positive emotions towards the other person.

Shitpost Lizard

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Literally where are you getting your information about blackrom from?

Arch-rival, by definition, only means your main or most prominent rival. You can have strong feelings of rivalry with someone without it devolving into something unhealthy.

Terezi directly states that she wants something that is less intense and more just playful jabs and shit. If that couldn't count as a kismesis, she wouldn't have stated that she wanted that out of a kismesis. It's her culture. She should damn-well know what the quadrant means.

Alternia has a classist casual-murder society, so of course they're gonna take that to its extreme.
But that doesn't mean that the base feelings are inherently alien from human emotion and romance, or inherently unhealthy, just because Alternian society encourages extremism.
|Taurrius|

[I draw stuff.]

eldomtom2

Post by eldomtom2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 am

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 pm
The fucking troll romance description?
But that doesn't mean that the base feelings are inherently alien from human emotion and romance, or inherently unhealthy, just because Alternian society encourages extremism.
Why don't you try getting a kismesis and see how it goes.

overThinker

Post by overThinker » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:59 am

eldomtom2 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 am
Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 pm
The fucking troll romance description?
is it such an absurd idea that unhealthy caliginous relationships can exist just as easily as unhealthy amorous relationships? like lizard said, alternia's culture is a reasonable explanation for the violence of the black relationships that we are shown, considering that murder was literally commonplace and subjugation was an integrated and consciously accepted tenet of society. they would be happy to have any form of relationship, especially a rivalry that toughens them up amidst their demanding surroundings. caliginous relationships certainly aren't as "useful" outside of alternia's culture, but they don't always have to be unhealthy. alternia just predisposed them to instability and irrational competition.

Shitpost Lizard

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:16 pm

eldomtom2 wrote:
Man, it's a webcomic. It's not real.
And discussing parallels that it has with reality will not hurt you. Chillax yo ass.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get into a fictional black romantic quadrant with a fictional alien species from a fictional webcomic.
Most of my romantic relationships have snark and aggression in them in general, though, because my personality's just like that and I find that kind of shit fun.
|Taurrius|

[I draw stuff.]

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 pm

eldomtom2 wrote:
Thanks I have twice and it's made me a better person both times
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Shaddytheguy
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Shaddytheguy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:59 pm

I think people overrate the difference in pacing between acts 5 and 6. Act 5 is always on its feet with so many things trying to kill the cast, but it constantly jumps between so many viewpoints, and never really opens and shuts any specific books. It becomes kind of hard to form a consistent thread of action and character arcs for each character. It's kind of like how One Piece's Enies Lobby arc layers 6 battles over 16 chapters, but cuts between them every single chapter, making each feel way longer than it actually is. In act 6, the separation of the alpha and beta kids means that each chapter needs to get out as much of each character as possible, leading to a lot of more bite-sized scenes that need to get their point across more fully.