Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life
Moon: Prospit

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by Leddy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:41 pm

I think the Alpha kids weren't as bad of an introduction as people exclaim, additionally I feel that Jake especially had good groundwork to be a much better character and that Hussie is largely to blame for his failure as a character.

I've liked Pesterquest, ALL of it, including Vriska's route. I don't think it's as bad as other people say and think it is. Beyond that I think all of the art is great and fits the characters (Bar Gamzee a little)

I think people are overreacting to both the Retcon and Epilogues somewhat. This is from someone who hates both. Ignoring them as if they never happened and as if they're entirely non-canonical to any degree is overreacting for me. This moreso applies to Epilogues than to Retcon, but still.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Jane Crocker is an incredibly boring character.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Sokota wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm
Jane Crocker is an incredibly boring character.
That's unpopular?

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:31 pm

egg wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 am
MorganMustDie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 pm

CLASSPECT ANALYSIS IS FUCKING STUPID. FIXED ASPECTS? MUTABLE ASPECTS? THE ASPECT WHEEL? OPPOSITE ASPECTS? THERE IS LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE FOR ANY OF THIS ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE COMIC YET PEOPLE SWEAR UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS SHIT IS GOSPEL
In my honest opinion, Classpect has evolved beyond Homestuck the comic by this point. It's basically just a 144 personality MBTI now using terms stolen from some asshole's webcomic. And I say this as an extreme Classpect afficionado.
I find it really interesting and a cute little microcosm of how transformative fandom can create its own sub-community within the community. It's similar to the Intermission fandom because the Intermission and Problem Sleuth are technically a small section of the greater Homestuck fandom, so all Intermission fans are Homestucks but not all Homestucks are Intermission fans.

It's fun to imagine cool superpowers from the combinations of class and aspect though. The official Extended Zodiac completely gets me wrong, but some of the fanmade tests gave me some kickass ideas (Heir of Mind/Prince of Doom was a decision I made based on what I thought gave me cooler superpowers and affirmed my gender lol)
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm

I don't think eridan is nearly as bad as people say he is. At least, not when he's surrounded by people like vriska and gamzee. Same with equius. a lot of people get caught up in the bullshit alien racism to notice that hes actually a pretty okay dude. i also think karezi is a pretty good ship. that said, i also hate the trolls.

I also don't like a lot of the character development in act six. i dont know if thats as much of an unpopular opinion as it is just divisive. it certainly gives a lot of credence i think to the idea that a lot of act 6 might have been ghost-written when characters like dave and terezi get very heavy development when others like john and jade are totally shafted for no good reason. it makes the hokiness of the "emotional" scenes much more apparent and hamfisted when its exclusive to a select few characters that arent even necessarily central to the story. thats not to say other characters dont get developed. take tavros for example, his arc is learning to accept his fate as a submissive underling. or karkat, whose arc is learning to accept his fate as a useless burden and softboy. ive even heard people argue that spades slick's arc is dying in the pursuit of revenge, as if carapacians are even afforded arcs.

tl;dr, real people dont have character arcs, rose, unless you're blonde and/or a scourge sister

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Hussie trying to make the characters 'aracial' was sort of a bad decision on his part that led to a lot more arguments and divisiveness than it would have otherwise. It also means that he can never make a Homestuck movie.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:46 am
Rosemary is a character development black hole that completely ruined both Kanaya and Rose.
Wow thank you! I loved them so much individually before they became a couple. Kanaya was sarcastic and snippy and I loved her so much. And Rose was equally sarcastic and snippy and a bit dark and she was perfect. They even argued so well and I just loved them....as individuals.

Unfortunately, when they got together, I feel that they sort of domesticated each other and I didn't really like them very much after that.

Had they stayed the way they were before, I think they could have both been better characters.

Because of that, I've never really been Team Rosemary.

Drinosi

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Alder wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm
I dislike the incorporation of trans characters into HS and how a large segment of the community insists on making established characters out to be trans all along. Roxy, Vriska(?), and June (apparently?) never really had any evidence in HS proper to support their characters being read in such a way, which makes it a head scratcher when people swear up and down that there's substantial proof for those kinds of interpretations.
I have to agree that I never really saw these particular characters as Trans. In my opinion, Roxy has always been the most feminine character of Homestuck (trolls and humans included). Everything about her screamed femininity. Of all the characters, male, female, nonbinary, Roxy has always seemed to be the most feminine and the least likely to be trans.

At the opposite of the spectrum, John was always the most masculine of the humans. He was always the straight, clean cut heterosexual that was completely comfortable being male.

I'm not sure what the future holds for Roxy and John (June) but, I personally don't see it in either of them.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Drinosi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Alder wrote:
I dislike the incorporation of trans characters into HS and how a large segment of the community insists on making established characters out to be trans all along. Roxy, Vriska(?), and June (apparently?) never really had any evidence in HS proper to support their characters being read in such a way, which makes it a head scratcher when people swear up and down that there's substantial proof for those kinds of interpretations.
I have to agree that I never really saw these particular characters as Trans. In my opinion, Roxy has always been the most feminine character of Homestuck (trolls and humans included). Everything about her screamed femininity. Of all the characters, male, female, nonbinary, Roxy has always seemed to be the most feminine and the least likely to be trans.

At the opposite of the spectrum, John was always the most masculine of the humans. He was always the straight, clean cut heterosexual that was completely comfortable being male.

I'm not sure what the future holds for Roxy and John (June) but, I personally don't see it in either of them.
I'm holding out hope that June is just nodded to or is in a splinter timeline rather than making John trans outta nowhere. Maybe she'll show up during a huge Retcon Riot Beatdown of Dirk? It'd be kinda cool if John used his retcon powers to shift his own timeline to switch to different versions of himself that had different abilities and strengths while going ham on some loser.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:16 pm

If John used his retcon abilities to team up with all of his alternate selves, including all of the applicable fandom headcanons for him that would be pretty sick. He snatches a Japanese John and a Black John and a Serbian John and a Troll John and a Robot John and a couple of Junes and some Transmasc Johns who were AFAB and some Nonbinary Johns and multiply all of that by different age groups to create the EGBRIGADE and beat the shit out of Dirk.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Drinosi

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:05 pm
Drinosi wrote:
Alder wrote:

I'm holding out hope that June is just nodded to or is in a splinter timeline rather than making John trans outta nowhere. Maybe she'll show up during a huge Retcon Riot Beatdown of Dirk? It'd be kinda cool if John used his retcon powers to shift his own timeline to switch to different versions of himself that had different abilities and strengths while going ham on some loser.
Ok, that I could potentially see. Anything can happen in alt timelines, so June could have emerged based on things that happened in her past, but in the main timeline, I just can't see it.

I would love to see John be able to just bring in any version of himself to take on whatever big bad is in his way and use his abilities to make short work of them.

Alder

Post by Alder » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Drinosi wrote:
Alder wrote:

I always saw Dave (pre-act 6) and Dirk as the manliest. All three of them are nerdy but John has more, like, childish nerdiness to him. I'd say Roxy comes close second to Kan and Rose.

aspiringWatcher
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:28 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:31 pm
egg wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 am
MorganMustDie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 pm

CLASSPECT ANALYSIS IS FUCKING STUPID. FIXED ASPECTS? MUTABLE ASPECTS? THE ASPECT WHEEL? OPPOSITE ASPECTS? THERE IS LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE FOR ANY OF THIS ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE COMIC YET PEOPLE SWEAR UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS SHIT IS GOSPEL
In my honest opinion, Classpect has evolved beyond Homestuck the comic by this point. It's basically just a 144 personality MBTI now using terms stolen from some asshole's webcomic. And I say this as an extreme Classpect afficionado.
I find it really interesting and a cute little microcosm of how transformative fandom can create its own sub-community within the community. It's similar to the Intermission fandom because the Intermission and Problem Sleuth are technically a small section of the greater Homestuck fandom, so all Intermission fans are Homestucks but not all Homestucks are Intermission fans.

It's fun to imagine cool superpowers from the combinations of class and aspect though. The official Extended Zodiac completely gets me wrong, but some of the fanmade tests gave me some kickass ideas (Heir of Mind/Prince of Doom was a decision I made based on what I thought gave me cooler superpowers and affirmed my gender lol)
people don't really understand all points of classpectry do they

calamity gets it tho
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

aspiringWatcher
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Drinosi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm
BrobyDDark wrote:
Drinosi wrote:

Ok, that I could potentially see. Anything can happen in alt timelines, so June could have emerged based on things that happened in her past, but in the main timeline, I just can't see it.

I would love to see John be able to just bring in any version of himself to take on whatever big bad is in his way and use his abilities to make short work of them.
the whole point of June is, imo, "John's arc can be interpreted as a trans narrative because X, Y and Z", so, IMHO, June becoming canon in a future update isn't implausible/contradictory - it's a "maybe" that can be explored just like any other interpretation of the character, instead of a clear-cut "yes" of necessity of John ending up as June in all possibilities or a "no" of June always being something that can only happen in a doomed timeline.

and this is, in fact, an unpopular opinion of my own.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:36 pm

Alder wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm
I always saw Dave (pre-act 6) and Dirk as the manliest. All three of them are nerdy but John has more, like, childish nerdiness to him. I'd say Roxy comes close second to Kan and Rose.
Dave and Dirk are very blatantly try-hards. They're manly insofar as they wear shades and fight with swords, but John is the one character out of the three of them who is clearly comfortable with himself. There's also the fact that he's strong and able to grow a pretty neat moustache. If John wore a wife-beater he probably would've gotten some pussy before the epilogues.

Drinosi

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Alder wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm
Drinosi wrote:
Alder wrote:

I never really saw Dave as 'manly'. I kind of saw him as trying to be someone he's not. Bro wanted him to be manly and take on anything, and he wanted to please Bro, but I think he would have been so much happier being the guy he really wanted to be. I always loved the charm of John's innocent nerdiness, but Dave was also such a huge nerd, he just wouldn't allow himself to show it, where as John was perfectly comfortable being the nerd that he was.

I can see your point with Kanaya and Rose.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:39 pm

aspiringWatcher wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:32 pm
Drinosi wrote:
BrobyDDark wrote:

the whole point of June is, imo, "John's arc can be interpreted as a trans narrative because X, Y and Z", so, IMHO, June becoming canon in a future update isn't implausible/contradictory - it's a "maybe" that can be explored just like any other interpretation of the character, instead of a clear-cut "yes" of necessity of John ending up as June in all possibilities or a "no" of June always being something that can only happen in a doomed timeline.

I try to avoid these kindsa discussions unless I know the person well, 'cause it can turn into an argument if I'm not careful but, to me, the X, Y, and Z people give for John being trans or having a trans narrative just...don't make sense to me? It doesn't feel like it fits at all. It feels more like that kinda reasoning would easily apply more to Dave, or Jade more than it does for John.

Drinosi

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:43 pm

aspiringWatcher wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:32 pm
Drinosi wrote:
BrobyDDark wrote:

I can see your 'maybe' if certain things happen to cause John to become June, but I think a really impressive story would be important to make it a reality, and not just a 'we're doing this just because we want to'. As of right now, it seems that June is an absolute certainty, but there is no explanation of how John decided to become June. I am a girl that loves a good story of how things come to be, so if/when it happens, I hope that someone takes the time to do it right. I'm all for people evolving to be who they want, but as of right now, I'm not convinced this is what John would want. However, I would love to be proven wrong, and I look forward to seeing what happens.

gutza1
Pronouns: Male
Classpect: Mage of Space

Post by gutza1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 pm

LORD_CALIDOR wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:36 am
> I DON'T LIKE JADE
:cal: :cal:

:cal:
:cal:
The master has arrived.

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Drinosi wrote:
Alder wrote:

I wouldn't say that the whole trans thing is necessarily as unpopular as it is decisive. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a close to even split between those who support it and those who are against it. My main problem with it though is how divisive it is. I hold the perspective that i'm not entirely opposed to any character being trans so long as it makes sense in the story, but the characters chosen really don't make much sense. Vriska and Roxy never seemed to question their gender much, but those two I'm a touch more alright with. But John especially was always the conventional, straight-and-narrow kind of kid in my mind, and while I don't view him as the most masculine kid (such an award would go to Dirk), he's the one kid I'd expect the least to be L,G,B, or T. I dislike such a theory as John being trans it for the same reason I dislike Dave x John ships: Because it doesn't make sense for the character to suddenly reveal something of such consequence to what we already knew about their character. In short: He is not a homosexual.

Also that idea of timeline hopping to see alternate versions of yourself is all I would ever want out of HS2. It could add so much room for character development and comedic potential that it's sad that it hasn't been done already. Not to mention that it would help some to dispel that pesky shroud of cannon that has been looming over the story.
June X Vriska is the best ship.