Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
harmoniousCalamity
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Lord Of Doom
Moon: Derse

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by harmoniousCalamity » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:49 pm

loomingDoom wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:43 pm
harmoniousCalamity wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 pm
You know you're right. Also thinking on this, how did more of them not die. Tbf we don't know much about Beforus other than the fact that it was coddle over culling nature wise irrc? Which means if anything they should've been at some disadvantage?
I think Beforian still have the violent nature of trolls, it just that Adult Fef ruled in a way that made all that violence illegal and rewarded trolls taking care of each other. They most likely still had a lot of violence, just not unpunished. Also I think all the Beforian trolls god tiered. Just the Alternian didn't. As for the Alternian ones they did say they were the best at the game and breezed through it so i guess they were strong enough to have none of them die...

Now that it think about it, only Vriska god tiered under "Normal" circumstances so most likely she kept that information for herself (Typical Vriska)
Oh well yeah there's no doubt that they would, but at the same time you can't expect them to (all) have the same experience that an alternian child would have growing up on Child Hell Planet, that made them so rough and tough.

I'm not sure if ~all~ of them did, given that it was never said but I do think we know for sure that Meenah, Arena, and Damara have?

And Aradia also GTed under relatively "normal" circumstances, so I'm sure she was aware of how it worked, but knowing Aradia, she would've known if GTing would've actually benefited anyone in any sort of way.
HC: There are twelve main classes Muse, Seer, Knight, Witch, Rogue, Heir, Page, Thief, Mage, Prince, Bard, Maid, and Lord---
YN:[yeah dude. Sylphs are fucking gay.].
HC: Shut up!

loomingDoom
Classpect: Knight of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by loomingDoom » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:04 am

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:49 pm
loomingDoom wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:43 pm
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 pm
You know you're right. Also thinking on this, how did more of them not die. Tbf we don't know much about Beforus other than the fact that it was coddle over culling nature wise irrc? Which means if anything they should've been at some disadvantage?
I think Beforian still have the violent nature of trolls, it just that Adult Fef ruled in a way that made all that violence illegal and rewarded trolls taking care of each other. They most likely still had a lot of violence, just not unpunished. Also I think all the Beforian trolls god tiered. Just the Alternian didn't. As for the Alternian ones they did say they were the best at the game and breezed through it so i guess they were strong enough to have none of them die...

Now that it think about it, only Vriska god tiered under "Normal" circumstances so most likely she kept that information for herself (Typical Vriska)
Oh well yeah there's no doubt that they would, but at the same time you can't expect them to (all) have the same experience that an alternian child would have growing up on Child Hell Planet, that made them so rough and tough.

I'm not sure if ~all~ of them did, given that it was never said but I do think we know for sure that Meenah, Arena, and Damara have?

And Aradia also GTed under relatively "normal" circumstances, so I'm sure she was aware of how it worked, but knowing Aradia, she would've known if GTing would've actually benefited anyone in any sort of way.
She didn't godtier under normal circumstance. She died pre entry which made her dream self be carried to the core of Derse and then killed on her sacrificial slab before she even entered the game. She most likely didn't even knew what happened to her or why she was now suddenly alive in cool time cloths

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope
Moon: Derse

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:43 pm

loomingDoom wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:04 am
She most likely didn't even knew what happened to her or why she was now suddenly alive in cool time cloths
Iirc, Aradia knew she was going to god-tier ahead of time, because Aradiabot hugs Sollux before she explodes to resurrect as GT Aradia.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

loomingDoom

Post by loomingDoom » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:45 am

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:43 pm
loomingDoom wrote:
She most likely didn't even knew what happened to her or why she was now suddenly alive in cool time cloths
Iirc, Aradia knew she was going to god-tier ahead of time, because Aradiabot hugs Sollux before she explodes to resurrect as GT Aradia.
Robot Aradia isn't GT Aradia

AsherCrane
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by AsherCrane » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:49 am

loomingDoom wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:45 am
Shitpost Lizard wrote:
loomingDoom wrote:
The very last Roboradia that exploded was the one who god tiered, though, and the fact that she very actively went to say goodbye to Sollux means she very clearly knew she was about to die, if not the fact that she was about to god tier.

loomingDoom

Post by loomingDoom » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:51 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:49 am
loomingDoom wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:45 am
Shitpost Lizard wrote:

The very last Roboradia that exploded was the one who god tiered, though, and the fact that she very actively went to say goodbye to Sollux means she very clearly knew she was about to die, if not the fact that she was about to god tier.
Hmmmmm I guess. Its weird

candleWick
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Douche of Light

Post by candleWick » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:06 am

sorbicCondition wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm
My only slightly unpopular opinion is that trying to find moral fault in any of the characters pre-epilogue that aren't Doc Scratch, Lord English, or any other adult character is stupid. They're kids, folks. Eridan isn't at fault for being a shitty boy. Equius isn't at fault for the things he believes. Vriska isn't at fault for the things she does. They're a bunch of kids being raised in a shitty environment.

My probably more unpopular opinion is that the exiles and carapacians in general are barely characters. They're basically just game constructs with some pizazz. PM and maybe Spades are the only ones with anything interesting going on, the rest are basically just used for gags or plot contrivances. That people latch onto them or get upset at their treatment is completely and utterly beyond me.

My most unpopular opinion is that every character is gay and trans.
i like your funny words, magic man.

All jokes aside, this is probably the most positive of the Hot Takes in this thread, and I like that. Though I don't personally agree with all of it, (ex: i don't hc all the characters as gay and trans) I agree with the part about them being kids. Most people tend to forget about that, and that bothers me. Though their actions may not have been good, but they were kids. They started playing when they were THIRTEEN. They still have a long ways to go in terms of growing as people and making mistakes.
And though I have not read them yet, from what I've heard is that the epilogues and hs^2 don't do them much justice in the "growing as people and making mistakes" department.

MrDiamondEgg
Pronouns: Any
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by MrDiamondEgg » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:14 pm

Christ, I just wrote a whole bunch of shit, only for me to try to save the draft and have the site remind me I wasn't logged in, bringing me to the login and deleting all my progress. Oh well. Here's some opinions that, due to their contradiction to general sentiment posted on this thread, could be considered unpopular opinions of their own:

When it comes to Dave and his development (including his relationship with Karkat), I like the softening of his character, "woobification" as some may call it. A major part of his development and personal conflict is coming to grips with how Bro abused him, and how toxic the ideals of masculinity Bro forced on him were. He starts out as a stereotypical "coolguy", using irony to hide his insecurities, but as the comic progresses, he becomes more honest with himself and his friends. He doesn't totally abandon his whole personality, though. He's still into the same hobbies before, he still makes really long-winded analogies, he's still Dave. But now he's more open, and maybe part of his more authentic self is being a bit softer of a guy.

On a different note, I'm fine with transgender characters as well. Not just ones that are written with great importance placed upon this part of their identity, but ones who it doesn't really seem to affect at all. I know it seems kind of ridiculous, but I don't really think making a character transgender has to be atall important to their character. They can just become a different gender, and still be the same person they were from before.