Worst Character?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
cheeryScribbler

Re: Worst Character?

Post by cheeryScribbler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:07 pm

hm.. the thing is, even the characters i dislike are really interesting and multifaceted!! i really like most of the characters, although desu a lot of my love for the characters is more because of what they could have been had they been paid some more attention, rather than what they are in homestuck proper (cough cough jane fan cough)

so i guess for me the worst character is the most boring, 2 dimensional character, whose writing is nearly offensive in its blandness and who is basically unsalvageable without rewriting his whole personality altogether, and that's gonna have to be *checks notes* kankri :kitty:
Last edited by cheeryScribbler on Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:apple: :cool3d: :apple:

Cheshire_Creeper

Post by Cheshire_Creeper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm

burnt2ashleys wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm
The worst character in all of Homestuck, nay, all of MSPA Adventures is you're favorite character :^)
WHAT?
Who could ever want EGGS & BISCUITS DEAD?
I have an ill-advised plan...what else is new?
https://mspfa.com/user/?u=108518406857173018839

ZyhpenNoodles
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ZyhpenNoodles » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Cheshire_Creeper wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm
burnt2ashleys wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm
The worst character in all of Homestuck, nay, all of MSPA Adventures is you're favorite character :^)
WHAT?
Who could ever want EGGS & BISCUITS DEAD?
Obviously me. :rosecool:
|| Seer of Hope || Prospit || She/Her ||
#SeerGang :rosecool:

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:39 pm

If we're talking in the "bluh suckiness department" then I'll say Jane. Even Kanaya is more interesting than her.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind
Moon: Derse

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:49 pm

I dont like jake. I just cant stand him, eveything he says is basically meaningless and drags the plot in a way so unsatisfying it made me stop reading sometimes. Theres also the fact that you can skip most of his dialogs and you wont miss anything. Hes completely irrelevant.
:rosecool:

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:51 pm

VASKA wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:52 pm
I see a lot of threads talking about what characters we like and why, but what about the characters we HATE? The characters we want to see smashed with a fat, hard rock, right into a hard place?

I'll start with a bold move: Tavros Nitram. It's just his stupid face.
Get off the computer, Vriska.

Space
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Space » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 pm

i dont really care about the dancestors all that much

like its not that i dislike them

theyre just ok

its just relative to the other characters theyre not as interesting really.

rookie1978

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Unironically the worst character is Vriska. She literally never gets a character arc that stays or matters, she's a giant bitch with no redeemable qualities, she murders a friend and acts consistently nothing but agonisitc towards EVERYONE around her, takes away SO MUCH screentime from other trolls for some reason, and literally NEVER gets her comeuppance or any kind of real punishment for her actions.

She remains nearly exactly the same throughout the entire comic and any changes in the way she acts are entitely temporary. If we deleted vriska and split her screentime across the rest of the trolls the comic would vastly improve to immeasurable degrees.

The other worst character is Andrew Hussie because I hate self inserts. It was funny at first but went on way too long.

rookie1978

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:57 pm

VASKA wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:37 pm
ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 pm
I get that this is basically a thread made for hot takes but some of these I just don't understand. Not to say I don't agree with them, but Tavros? Tagora? Really? I never really liked either of them but I never thought they were offensively bad. Gamzee and Jane are offensively bad. Characters that devolved from simply plain and boring to psychopathic and irredeemable.
Gamzee made me laugh frequently and even spooked me a couple times. Tavros? Not funny, not scary. Offensively harmless, dead weight with more words Eridan, who at least did something.
>tavros did nothing
>except amass a giant fucking army of assholes who hate eachother through the power of friendship
He literally danced on Lord English's head after. Dude got pretty cool late in the comic.

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:29 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:57 pm
VASKA wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:37 pm
ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 pm
I get that this is basically a thread made for hot takes but some of these I just don't understand. Not to say I don't agree with them, but Tavros? Tagora? Really? I never really liked either of them but I never thought they were offensively bad. Gamzee and Jane are offensively bad. Characters that devolved from simply plain and boring to psychopathic and irredeemable.
Gamzee made me laugh frequently and even spooked me a couple times. Tavros? Not funny, not scary. Offensively harmless, dead weight with more words Eridan, who at least did something.
>tavros did nothing
>except amass a giant fucking army of assholes who hate eachother through the power of friendship
He literally danced on Lord English's head after. Dude got pretty cool late in the comic.
aranea already did that, they just undid her influence so tavros could do his thing
Only cuties survive the near future

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 pm

vriska by far. my rereads of the early acts became totally insufferable when I realised how much pointless dialogue of hers I would have to slog through.

hivebent's other villains who are terrible people are funny at the very least. gamzee is literally a killer clown. eridan is a pathetic misogynist impossible not to laugh at. vriska just says terrible things all the time and then gets justified for them over and over.

it's not like I have any kind of violent reaction to her presence or anything, I can appreciate that she has some good dialogue that can be cool and funny at times, it's just super hard for me to get to LIKE her as a character when every scene she exists in involves her belittling and refusing to get along with the people around her. even characters I find boring and pointless like nepeta at least had interactions that made their presence worthwhile.

later act vriska in the dreambubbles and the leadup to the final fight I don't mind so much, so I guess part of it is a character development thing.
mod on the mspa wiki

furrylatula
Pronouns: he/him

Post by furrylatula » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:41 pm

cronus is the worst character in homestuck by a nautical mile. any questions?
did trans vriska real

seerofheart
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Seer of Heart

Post by seerofheart » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Disclaimer once again that this is a very indulgent thread so I'm going to be indulgent. All of the characters are fine and I respect everyone's faves. That being said:

The worst characters for me are the cherubs. They're mildly entertaining to me, but I feel like adding a third weird species at the last minute to make a cute commentary on the fandom (something Hussie even points out that he already did with Nepeta and Eridan) is just weird for me. I think it would have been more interesting to change Jake into Lord English, or just have him be a giant monster with no explanation beyond "a lot of codes Sollux made" that looks the way he does because that's how he looks.

Alt!Calliope kind of rules, but I think her role could have been given to actual Jade, or any of the other existing characters.

The fact that they're the only players who aren't the result of a paradox makes them especially boring to me.

I will change my mind if Homestuck^2 heavily showcases the race as has been theorized.
Welcome back to 2007

xxSeerxofxHeartxx

You're keeping in step
In the line
Got your chin held high and you feel just fine
Because you do
What you're told
But inside your heart it is black and it's hollow and it's cold

Flame_Warp

Post by Flame_Warp » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:19 pm

seerofheart wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm
The fact that they're the only players who aren't the result of a paradox makes them especially boring to me.
Well that's decidedly not true. Sure, they weren't created via ectobiology, but the only reason that they exist is because Earth exists, and that's only the case because of LE. Their existence IS a paradox.

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Ngl, until Calamity was introduced in the cursed files, I was under the impression that Caliborn and Calliope were their own parents.
Only cuties survive the near future

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:22 pm

the worst character is calliope. the fact that this is even a debate is little more than disappointing.

/thread :cal:

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:27 pm

honest to god for me the worst character is jake. not to be disrespectful but his whole character is "gay indiana jones who's also mostly useless" and all he does is cry over dirk. I genuinely dislike how empty and boring his character is compared to literally everyone else. even gamzee has more character and almost all we see of him is Stoned Dumbass or crazy immortal clown. its kinda sad that all 36 main troll type characters were more developed than 1 of the 8 total kids
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 pm

seerofheart wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm
The worst characters for me are the cherubs. They're mildly entertaining to me, but I feel like adding a third weird species at the last minute to make a cute commentary on the fandom (something Hussie even points out that he already did with Nepeta and Eridan) is just weird for me. I think it would have been more interesting to change Jake into Lord English, or just have him be a giant monster with no explanation beyond "a lot of codes Sollux made" that looks the way he does because that's how he looks.
Honestly, I can see where you're coming from at this angle, but I think the idea of Lord English being a SBURB player who is so unbelievably powerful that he gains the title of Lord, in such a way that time literally bends to his will without him having to think about it, whilst ALSO being a completely incompetent fuckboy with no patience or talent that somehow gains power over the entire narrative, is both hilarious and good meta-commentary about how destructive a shitty fanbase can be.

Calliope is fair game but I won't STAND for anti-Caliborn talk smdh tsk
Image Perfection.

Royaute
Classpect: Waste of Time

Post by Royaute » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:38 am

I think it's hard to really say who is the worst character. Caliborn is undoubtedly the most evil, but I think he's more comparable to a rabid animal that needs to be put down. Vriska is ultimately a deluded tool. Despite these two, there's at least something cool to like about them.

There is nothing cool about Jake English. He is so awful, I cannot think about him without being put into a bad mood so I'm ending my post here.

seerofheart
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Seer of Heart

Post by seerofheart » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:47 am

VASKA wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:21 pm
Ngl, until Calamity was introduced in the cursed files, I was under the impression that Caliborn and Calliope were their own parents.
I was also 100% certain that Lord English and Alt!Calliope were the parents of Caliborn and Calliope and that what we were seeing in Aranea's backstory for the Cherubs was actually foreshadowing of the final battle.

Once they didn't go that route I was like "ok...so how are they jujus then?" Beyond the fact that all of existence is a juju or w/e.
Welcome back to 2007

xxSeerxofxHeartxx

You're keeping in step
In the line
Got your chin held high and you feel just fine
Because you do
What you're told
But inside your heart it is black and it's hollow and it's cold