Worst Character?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them
Moon: Derse

Worst Character?

Post by VASKA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:52 pm

I see a lot of threads talking about what characters we like and why, but what about the characters we HATE? The characters we want to see smashed with a fat, hard rock, right into a hard place?

I'll start with a bold move: Tavros Nitram. I don't really dislike any Homestuck character besides Tavros, really. I may be indifferent to some, but I don't dislike them. I wouldn't even say I dislike Tavros, really. I abhor Tavros. The thought of Tavros fills me with rage. I have an irrationally violent response to a fictional character, and I wish I was joking but I just told you something I'd never tell my therapist.

Why? He's weak, whiny, and entirely uncharismatic. Vriska was right about Tavros. Now, that's not me saying people like Tavros actually deserve terrible things to happen to them. Obviously that's irrational, but I will say: I wish the comic was more sadistic to him. I have an obsessive need to see this horrible character suffer. I don't even think he's a bad person! If I met a real person like Tavros, we might not get along, but I'd think they were a decent person! It's just his stupid face. I hate that boy's stupid face.

Every other character is pretty cool imo, what about y'all?
Only cuties survive the near future

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Re: Worst Character?

Post by calamityCons » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 pm

I think this is a very dangerous thread to have, especially if someone's most hated character is someone else's favorite.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

ZyhpenNoodles
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ZyhpenNoodles » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:04 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 pm
I think this is a very dangerous thread to have, especially if someone's most hated character is someone else's favorite.
Let the chaos begin.
Last edited by ZyhpenNoodles on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|| Seer of Hope || Prospit || She/Her ||
#SeerGang :rosecool:

Sahxyel

Post by Sahxyel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:11 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 pm
I feel like this thread can exist as long as everyone is mature and doesn't fly off the handle because their fave was targeted by someone who doesn't particularly like them. Maybe that's easy for me to say given I have plenty of problematic faves that I hear shit about in other fandom spaces but I also think it's healthy to be exposed to some negative dialectic along with positive so things don't get so echo chamber-y. As long as the tone never rises into outright hostile and ad hominems are thrown around it could be fine.

:professor: This should come with the caveat that EVERYONE understand this is an entirely opinionated thread so nobody should be prancing in here attacking people for disliking a character they like. We have appreciation threads for a reason.

Now for a character I think is terrible? Jane. She commits the offense of being outstandingly boring, being a terrible friend, and ultimately never having any comeuppance for her crimes aside not having Jake's sweet man meat (except in Candy where she gets that too so lmao nevermind).
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Tavros, Jane, Zebruh, Vikare, Zebede /thread
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

tajazzled
Classpect: maid of hope

Post by tajazzled » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:17 pm

hussie

ZyhpenNoodles

Post by ZyhpenNoodles » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Worst character? Eridan.

He went sicko mode on everyone and wanted to join Jack Noir. He KO'D Sollux, Kills Feferi and Kanaya with no hesitation, destroys the Matriorb, destroying all possibilities and hope of troll repopulation at that time. He deserved to be cut in half later on.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 pm

"Ahem..."

*straightens my tie before brushing a smudge of dust off of the podium in front of me

*I look out to a legion of vested listeners, hanging on my words to know, truly, how it is that I feel

*a hush falls over the crowd as the sound guy way up the back finally gives me the all clear

*I take a deep breath, and I lean into the mic

"Tagora."
Image Perfection.

ZyhpenNoodles

Post by ZyhpenNoodles » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 pm
"Ahem..."

*straightens my tie before brushing a smudge of dust off of the podium in front of me

*I look out to a legion of vested listeners, hanging on my words to know, truly, how it is that I feel

*a hush falls over the crowd as the sound guy way up the back finally gives me the all clear

"Tagora."
Absolutely agree.
You have my respect.

Sahxyel

Post by Sahxyel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:25 pm

ZyhpenNoodles wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 pm
MorganMustDie wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 pm
"Ahem..."

"Tagora."
Absolutely agree.
You have my respect.
Both characters also have striped pants...IS THERE A CONNECTION? :cal:
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 pm

I get that this is basically a thread made for hot takes but some of these I just don't understand. Not to say I don't agree with them, but Tavros? Tagora? Really? I never really liked either of them but I never thought they were offensively bad. Gamzee and Jane are offensively bad. Characters that devolved from simply plain and boring to psychopathic and irredeemable.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:31 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 pm
I get that this is basically a thread made for hot takes but some of these I just don't understand. Not to say I don't agree with them, but Tavros? Tagora? Really? I never really liked either of them but I never thought they were offensively bad. Gamzee and Jane are offensively bad. Characters that devolved from simply plain and boring to psychopathic and irredeemable.
I resent the implication that Gamzee was ever "plain and boring," since he's always been fun to read

and being charming and endearing makes murder okay :nepball:
Image Perfection.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:36 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
I prefer Psychopathic and Irredeemable to constant boring "I exude bully bait energy" characters
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:37 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Gamzee made me laugh frequently and even spooked me a couple times. Tavros? Not funny, not scary. Offensively harmless, dead weight with more words Eridan, who at least did something.
Only cuties survive the near future

slip

Post by slip » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 pm

there aren't really any characters i hate anymore but jake used to grind my gears. his painfully oblivious nature ticked me off on my first readthrough and all the dumb stuff he says really got to me lol. recently though i've warmed up to him a lot and though he definitely isn't my favorite i don't hate him anymore.
other than that the only characters i really have negative feelings towards are the dancestors (sans meenah and aranea). i think a few of them had the potential to be really interesting characters but as it stands they were just under-developed jokes of characters that took up time that could have been used on people that would actually be relevant for more than half a sub-act.
Image EB: maybe i ate too much lasagna. Image

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:08 pm

I despise every single Alpha Kid, and I will never change my mind. They are absolutely despicable pieces of dead weight who do nothing I want to see. Jane is a boring and spineless piece of shit, Jake is absolutely horrible and represents everything wrong with Harem Anime Protagonists, Dirk is just absolutely despicable and insufferable, and Roxy essentially aped all of Rose's important traits and combined it with generic enthusiasm to replace Rose in the storyline because Rose was too busy being drunk (which I will NEVER believe is in-character for her). Fuck all four of them. Get off my lawn.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life

Post by Leddy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:14 pm

Depends on what metric you are judging by.

By characters I liked least and who I think were like the worst people?

Pre Epilouge Highlights:
Eridan

Post Epilouge Highlights:
Jane, Dirk

The spotlight pre Epilouges though was always Eridan for me, what with the being a dick to Feferi because she broke their Moirallegiance because he was too much for her, the whole loving genocide shit (He got it pushed on him but made those ideas his own with time), the whole murdering the only chance avalible for their entire race's reproduction (Guess he kind of did get his Genocide wish in that form) and trying to murder multiple of his friends to leave for Jack before getting killed?

He was always the crown jewel of shitbags in the story for me, but than Epilouges came along and Jane was basically made a Xenophobic maniac who in Candy emotionally messes with Jake and neglects her son in a really poor way and is kind of the reason the group was torn apart in the first place in that timeline (though it not being the 'true' continuation softened that blow, she was meh in Meat but moreso as they just kind of flattened any character she seemed to have (Still a Xenophobe though).

Then there's Dirk who I'm split on. It's a cool concept they're going for with him as the villain and I'll admit it's interesting but it doesn't make him any less of a shitbag. I felt his character was going in a good direction when Homestuck actually ended but suddenly he's controlling and manipulating literally everyone, tearing apart Rose and Kanaya, making Jake fuck up Karkat and Dave's presidency, and just pulling the strings so he could get what he wanted. It's a very unique concept but it makes me view him as an absolute shitbag.

I would also mention Gamzee, as he kills half of the troll group and all, but he is influenced by English through a lot of his bad portions and he's more creepy than anything. Especially in Candy he's really fuckin creepy but not up there with these three.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

rubs juice
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Page of Mind

Post by rubs juice » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:22 pm

Vriska.

She makes everything about her (even when doing it makes things worse), refuses to learn from her mistakes even when blatantly told to her face, and thinks she's better than everybody. I don't care she has a reason to why she's the way she is, she's still an insufferable prick that I'd clock on the face on sight if I met her in real life. No I don't take criticism, ping me on the vriskourse thread if you wanna go if thats even a thing idk

Cool motive still murder
Cool motive still murder
COOL MOTIVE STILL MURDER
Mafa || Page of Mind
Carapacian Rights Advocate || Writer of worldbuilding headcanons
[[visit my AO3 here]]
Check out my fanventure! Click on the banner <3

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:50 am

It's funny that VASKA wants the comic to be more sadistic to Tavros, because I'd probably like him more if it were? Then he might actually deserve his uwu woobie status. I do like his dance moves, though, so he's not my least favorite.

I was going to say the worst character was Nepeta, even though I also like her, but then I remembered Porrim. I don't think Porrim is any good.
only bad takes here

burnt2ashleys

Post by burnt2ashleys » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm

The worst character in all of Homestuck, nay, all of MSPA Adventures is you're favorite character :^)