Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life
Moon: Prospit

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by Leddy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:12 pm

How the fandom treats non-LGBT+ content is toxic in a lot of ways.

Coming from a CIS Pansexual, the way I see them treat things that are non LGBT+ or even people who are non LGBT+ is extremely toxic. As someone who's not insanely radical it even isolates me a little. It's like they're trying to push out heterosexual or CIS people entirely sometimes. It's mind boggling that people who face such oppression or injustice themselves can be much the same when they hold the clear majority now.

Maybe I'm overreacting though, I've seen plenty of fine corners and circles where a healthy diet of both is accepted, but as per usual the attitude on Twitter which encompasses a lot of the fandom, is absolutely horrendous. And again, I'm not against LGBT+ things at all, I'm pan, I'm not against transphobic, I support transgenders, but the attitude is ridiculous and I feel exceedingly toxic, maybe that's just Twitter in general though who knows, but being called transphobic and anti-LGBT for not being into every headcanon or relationship is really annoying.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:59 pm

cis isn't an acronym you don't need to full cap it every time
mod on the mspa wiki

timaeusTestified
Pronouns: Masculine
Moon: Derse

Post by timaeusTestified » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:52 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 pm
There is only one Correct Unpopular Opinion about Homestuck

CLASSPECT ANALYSIS IS FUCKING STUPID. FIXED ASPECTS? MUTABLE ASPECTS? THE ASPECT WHEEL? OPPOSITE ASPECTS? THERE IS LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE FOR ANY OF THIS ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE COMIC YET PEOPLE SWEAR UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS SHIT IS GOSPEL

... The Classpects started as a way for Hussie to attach A Title to a character's archetype, and how their personality would affect the methods through which they interacted with the world around them, but Classpect Analysers act like it works in the opposite direction. "Ah no he's a Mage of Rage and because of that it means he does X, Y, and Z," rather than "He does X, Y, and Z, and as such, you could describe him as a Mage of Rage." ...

There's like a sentiment amongst them that Hussie has like, a booklet somewhere with dot points on how each class and aspect works and acts, rather that it just being some vague thing he invented to slap onto characters to give them cool titles that match their personalities. Any "speculation" on how aspects and classes that we never directly see work should be treated as non-canon. And as such, I should be allowed to say "that sounds stupid lol" without being banned from the homestuck egirl discord
This. In-depth analysis of faux deep story elements can be incredibly entertaining, but without canonical evidence, it's all just speculation.

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 am

egg wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 am
Roxy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:56 am

fascist crockerbitch
Jane was not really fascist until the epilogues.
Yknow yeah, and maybe that was a bit harsh, but like. Cmon dude. She had every option to just not use crockercorp tech and not so the whole robot mind control thing but stuck with it anyways cause??? Moving the plot forward i guess :/
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

Flame_Warp

Post by Flame_Warp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:10 am

Roxy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 am
Yknow yeah, and maybe that was a bit harsh, but like. Cmon dude. She had every option to just not use crockercorp tech and not so the whole robot mind control thing but stuck with it anyways cause??? Moving the plot forward i guess :/
Uh...what? What are you talking about? Like. Pre-game when she had no real intimation anything was wrong with Crockercorp? When the Condesce used it to directly mind-control her? Some later point in time? The only other time I can think of was her using it on Jack, but...like...first off dude's a genocidal asshole and second off nothing of consequence happened because of it since the snapd8s stopped, so. What are you criticizing her for here?

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:20 am

Roxy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 am

She had no idea Crockercorp tech was evil until Caliborn bullied her hard enough to m ake her cry, and at that point that tech was already all in her home. Yo u could argue she should have maybe destroyed it, but also she had no idea a magical wolf girl would pop out from literally nowhere and teleport a mind controlling crown into her head.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

PyroCrystal

Post by PyroCrystal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 am

I just wanna HS to end honestly.
Like this whole canon vs fanon thing is so tiring and don't make any sense!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:42 am

Hussie actually still has control of Homestuck^2 and could fire peeps who are trying to force bad ideas or for leaking information. Creative control does not mean total control.

I think a lot of people are overlooking that part of it. Hussie is the boss, they are his employees. He is probably a very lenient boss i would imagine. He gave them all a lot of creative control. But i imagine he retain control of the license and has veto power, and is probably still fairly closely involved. He might not be writing a word of it but they probably have to get some obama ass presidential approval on a few things.

He probably give them a lot of chances before he actually fired them, short of the information leak i presume, but i imagine if they become disruptive he would let em go.

Oddhi
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Rogue of Mind

Post by Oddhi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Unpopular opinion:

I think that Gamzee truly is a redeemable character, and I hate how the epilogue treated his redemption arc as some sort of sick joke.
Gamzee is not inherently a terrible person. Like nearly every other character in Homestuck, he is a victim of someone else's plan.

:cal:

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Oddhi wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm
Unpopular opinion:

I think that Gamzee truly is a redeemable character, and I hate how the epilogue treated his redemption arc as some sort of sick joke.
Gamzee is not inherently a terrible person. Like nearly every other character in Homestuck, he is a victim of someone else's plan.

:cal:
This i find true. But i don't think there is any way to redeem Gamzee post murderstuck. Or maybe the solution would be to give him some sopor slime to eat. Quiet whatever voice lives in his head.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 pm

Maybe a good way to redeem Gamzee is to, I don't know, remove his connections to Lord English entirely, and give him a chance to think for himself again, see what he comes up with, support him through his bouts of doubt and despair. You know. Actually take the time to rehabilitate and redeem him??? Maybe???????
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Oddhi
Classpect: Rogue of Mind

Post by Oddhi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:52 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Maybe a good way to redeem Gamzee is to, I don't know, remove his connections to Lord English entirely, and give him a chance to think for himself again, see what he comes up with, support him through his bouts of doubt and despair. You know. Actually take the time to rehabilitate and redeem him??? Maybe???????
This! This is exactly what I have wanted to see! The influence of Lord English (and at some point, Aranea) have been incredibly destructive to Gamzee's character.

(That and the fact that Hussie has explicitly stated in the books that he just dislikes Gamzee at a fundamental level, so there is some author bias towards writing him terribly.)

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Oddhi wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:52 pm
calamityCons wrote:
This! This is exactly what I have wanted to see! The influence of Lord English (and at some point, Aranea) have been incredibly destructive to Gamzee's character.

(That and the fact that Hussie has explicitly stated in the books that he just dislikes Gamzee at a fundamental level, so there is some author bias towards writing him terribly.)
To be fair who doesn't hate clowns at a fundamantal level?

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:42 pm
Oddhi wrote:
calamityCons wrote:

To be fair who doesn't hate clowns at a fundamantal level?
I don't hate clowns. I think they're weird and can be actually, legitimately fun and hilarious. I don't even relate to the fear of clowns.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Oddhi wrote:
calamityCons wrote:

You would probably have to transport him to EArth c, or that general universe, where English is gone. But at the same time it might depend on what point in his life it would ahve to happen. He may well be too far gone after murderstuck. Definitely in Candy.

Though i have this weird theory that when Dirk cut gamzee in half, he might have split off the part of gamzee that was controlled by English so it could unite with caliborn. It seemed pretty specific that he is cut vertically. So maybe if you revived the remaining gamzee half?

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by arachnidsGrip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:02 pm

I don't think people can be Mages. Like, when classpecting yourself, I genuinely don't believe anyone can know for sure that they're a Mage, unlike how they could know for sure that they're a Page or a Knight. There's simply not enough known about Mages. The only examples of Mages in canon are Sollux and Meulin. Sollux stops being relevant like, halfway through the story never to be seen again, and Meulin was never relevant to begin with. The only thing we know definitively is that Mages suffer from their aspect in some way, as said by Aranea in one of her exposition booths in reference to Meulin. Otherwise? Basically nothing. I don't know if it's known for sure, but it's also pretty widely accepted that Mages are Seer's counterpart, being one who understands their aspect. So, in total we know two very small things to a very big class, and I really don't think that's enough to base someone's classpect on.

gutza1
Pronouns: Male
Classpect: Mage of Space

Post by gutza1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Here's a truly controversial take:

Ultimate Dirk is an anti-hero who's trying to save the familiar Homestuck canon from post-canon fuckery.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:30 pm

gutza1 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Ultimate Dirk is an anti-hero who's trying to save the familiar Homestuck canon from post-canon fuckery.
Ultimate Dirk started post-canon fuckery

gutza1
Pronouns: Male
Classpect: Mage of Space

Post by gutza1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:32 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:30 pm
gutza1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the writer commentary on HS^2 says that Ultimate Dirk represents Acts 1-5 fans/fans of "Homestuck proper" who don't like the direction Homestuck and especially post-canon content has been taking, because apparently the writing team has a massive hateboner for those kinds of fans.

Cyber-Fan
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by Cyber-Fan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:39 pm

gutza1 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:32 pm
BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:30 pm
gutza1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the writer commentary on HS^2 says that Ultimate Dirk represents Acts 1-5 fans/fans of "Homestuck proper" who don't like the direction Homestuck and especially post-canon content has been taking, because apparently the writing team has a massive hateboner for those kinds of fans.
That's so weird to me if it's true. Without Dirk there would be no homestuck 2. He's the sole driving force of the plot, and stands in direct opposition to the people who wish homestuck would stop already.