Anime Recommendation Thread

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
Nep
Pronouns: Any (Genderfluid)
Classpect: Rogue of Heart
Moon: Derse

Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by Nep » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Alright you guys. We're going to discuss about anime. It can be old. It can be new. But it must be anime.

I'll start.

You guys should watch Cowboy Bebop. It simply is fantastic and it deserves a good watch. I especially enjoyed each episode and even it's movie. I'd say more but it's just fucking awesome take my word for it man.
Forum's Certified Nep. :nepball: || Rogue of Heart

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by calamityCons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Me @ the world at large: please watch Bubblegum Crisis, it's full of pretty girls in special mech suits that fight crime.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time

Post by bathtimebird » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm

I highly recommend everyone watch Kaiji. The artstyle may take some getting used to, but the show is suspenseful as all hell. Except when it gets to the second half of season 2, then it just because stupid as fuck. Seriously, 17 episodes of a pachinko machine. Imagine watching that as it aired, having to sit through yet another episode of Kaiji trying to beat a rigged pachinko machine.

If you're into mahjong, I recommend getting into Akagi.

KnightOfRage413

Post by KnightOfRage413 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 am

I could list off soooo many anime but I'll keep it simple for now and say Katekyo Hitman Reborn, which is one of the anime I watched most recently. It's basically about your average clumsy Japanese teen boy suddenly finding out he's the heir to the biggest Mafia family in Italy, and he is being tutored by the World's Greatest Hitman, Reborn. It's heavily comedy in the beginning but action starts to pick up in the 2nd season.
Homestuck since Oct 2014. I run cosplay meetups! Check out @ addriblack on Insta and Twitter. :pumpkin:

sacreligiousDelphi
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Seer of Time

Post by sacreligiousDelphi » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 am

Watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Before we knew it, we became a hurricane, and the bugs who laughed got blown away as we proclaimed, "The Circle rules your life."

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:05 am

what you guys NEED to watch is nichijou.
:rosecool:

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:05 am

Death Parade is where the good shit's at, also Assasination Classroom is worth checking out :olliesouty:

don't let the OP fool you, they put all of the Parade in there and shoved the Death into the rest of the series
Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Daz

Post by Daz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am

My recommendations from the top of my head in no particluar order:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (do I really need to recommend this here?)
Paranoia Agent
Blame! (best setting ever)
Perfect Blue
Cromartie High School
OnePunchMan
FullMetal Alchemist (personally I prefer the first one to Brotherhood)

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 am

Daz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am
My recommendations from the top of my head in no particluar order:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (do I really need to recommend this here?)
Paranoia Agent
Blame! (best setting ever)
Perfect Blue
Cromartie High School
OnePunchMan
FullMetal Alchemist (personally I prefer the first one to Brotherhood)
seconding most things in this, especially Blame! If you've ever played the submachine games and liked them you'll LOVE blame!. I'm not excited about it, the exclamation point is part of the title.
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm

If you want something that you probably haven't heard of that'll simultaniously make you cry and pat you on the back at the same time, try Hinamatsuri. The plot synopsis makes it sound pretty strange but everything's mostly played straight and it revolves around character arcs/growth. One of my favorite protagonists, ever

tajazzled
Classpect: maid of hope

Post by tajazzled » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:50 pm

sailor moon is aesthetic as hell, but it really pops off when chibiusa shows up

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:07 am

*facedecks*

I suppose everyone has seen Eva already right?

I'm currently thinking whenever I should watch FMAB or Utena first.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 pm

IF YOU LIKE FUN:
Girls und Panzer
Zombieland Saga
IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR SHIT FUCKED UP senpai:
Made in Abyss
Yuki Yuna is a Hero
The Promised Neverland
You can also watch the classic Puella Magi Madoka Magica, if you haven't by now.
IF YOU WANT SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT IN THE SHOWER:
Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh
Serial Experiments Lain (this one has an interesting fanbase)
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

MatthewHMay

Post by MatthewHMay » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:54 pm

If you're into survival game kinda shows one that came out a while ago I really liked was
!BTOOOM
it's kinda similar to most battle royal shows/games, but it predates most of them. The concept is that each player is given a set of 12 bombs of the same type of must use said bombs to kill other players, take their bombs, and kill 5 other players and steal a band stuck into their arm to get off the island the get dropped on.
It get's pretty gore in some parts so be warned
Endless War: A Textbased MMO RPG playable via discord https://discord.gg/mtSRXek

MatthewHMay

Post by MatthewHMay » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:24 pm

egg wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 pm
Zombieland Saga
I like the anime a ton, but it's manga is really interesting
Endless War: A Textbased MMO RPG playable via discord https://discord.gg/mtSRXek

Leo
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Classpect: Heir of Hope

Post by Leo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:21 am

I give a strong recommendation to all of the following:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
(coming-of-age mech story with themes of human connection, depression, and mental health)
Gankutsuou (adaption of the Count of Monte Cristo but set in space. Wonderful slow-burn revenge plot, beautiful art style, has space vampires)
Princess Tutu (magical girl fairy tale that gets dark. Has story-within-a-story meta fun)
Kekkai Sensen (action-packed shenanigans of an alien-integrated version of New York City. Fun camerawork, lots of heart)
Re: Creators (fictional characters begin coming to life and confronting their creators. A story all about what it means to create and why we do so. Fun)
Hunter x Hunter (2011) (basically a perfectly executed shounen show. Long and satisfying, fun and gripping, some deeper themes, good ending)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (Artistic. Symbolism within symbolism, catchy soundtrack, themes of gender roles and societal oppression. Someone becomes a car)
Any of Kunihiko Ikuhara's work, while we're on the topic (That's Sarazanmai, Mawaru Penguindrum, and Yurikuma Arashi. But I'd rec them only after Utena)
Monster (slow-burn tale of murder and morality set in 1980s Germany. Stars neurosurgeon Dr. Kenzo Tenma, one of my favorite characters from anything ever)
Devilman Crybaby (not for everyone, but a decidedly 18+ gore-fest with an ending that makes you go 'hmmm')
Terra e... (a well-told decades-spanning space opera about a group of special-abilitied misfits, the Mu, trying to navigate their way back home to Earth)
Cowboy Bebop (for the reasons OP stated. Largely atmospheric, near perfect episodic storytelling)
Yuri on Ice (the gay figure skating anime. Great depiction of social anxiety on the lead, has one of the most hilarious plot twists ever conceived)
Attack on Titan (tension-filled war story about survival. Turns from barebone human v monster fights to political drama halfway through, to its strong benefit)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I mean, yeah. It's FMA)
Digimon Tamers ( :rosecool:)
Homestuck said trans rights, and let us never forget it.

Avatar by Frolis. Message me your Digimonstuck headcanons.

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:08 am

Some of my older favs are Evangelion, Ranma 1/2, Tenchi, Uresei Yatsura.
Newer stuff I like Vampire Knight, Fruits Basket, Kamisama Kiss, and I just finished Maid Sama.

Also, I'm totally going to keep up with this thread, just to get ideas on new stuff to watch. :cool:

Dream Muttman

Post by Dream Muttman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:00 am

Criminally Obscure stuff coming through

Mugen no Ryvius/Infinite Ryvius for that cool Lord of the Flies in space flavor that isn't done quite this well anywhere else, mixed with political philosophy. This is what I'd want a "trolls in a space station" to be like, honestly. This anime is super-westernized, and follows very few tropes for its genre (Gundamesque), so you don't need to watch anything beforehand to enjoy it. 26 episodes long.

Kyousougiga (TV) for having the best creation myth. This one is interesting because it was originally posted online as a series of animations before it was straightened out into a coherent whole. Don't watch episode 0 since that's a recap of the non-canon animations and spoils a bunch of things/makes the story super confusing. This one can be enjoyed by anyone, but you'll get more out of it if you know anything about religions/mythology. 13 episodes long.

Summer Wars for doing the best Digimon movie again and somehow managing to be better. Same director as Digimon's Our War Game, but completely standalone and with no Digimon in it. This one is a movie, so it won't take too much time to watch. Mathlete boy gets hired to pretend to be his upperclassman's boyfriend during her visit to a family reunion but becomes an international cybercriminal by mistake. The internet is cooler than in real life. 114 minutes long.
Witness my golem:
:candy: :meat: :candy:
:candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn:

Has it grown since you last saw it?

magicpants

Post by magicpants » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 am

I recommend xxxHOLiC. Great supernatural slice of life from a few years back. Made by CLAMP.
I also recommend Demon Slayer. But that should be self explanatory.
The original Berserk OVA.
Devilman Crybaby.
:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:
:lime:{Knight of Mind - They/Them - True Neutral - Derse - Olive} :lime:

sillyConformist
Classpect: Page of Heart

Post by sillyConformist » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 am

Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun - A romantic comedy anime with a wonderful sense of humour. Enjoy some gender-inverted shoujo anime tropes and some clever meta humour as the titular character shows what this anime would look like as a serious romance story through the manga he draws in universe.

Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - An episodic story about a person named Kino and a talking motorcycle named Hermes traveling to various countries in world made up by the creator. This series has actually had two separate anime adaptions, and due to the episodic nature of it only three of its stories appear in both anime, so they are both worth watching. The original was much better, though.
Interrobang‽