What're you listening to? [Music Recs/Chart Sharing]

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
Fresh
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life
Moon: Prospit

What're you listening to? [Music Recs/Chart Sharing]

Post by Fresh » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:55 pm

thought I'd start a general music rec topic for people looking to share music tastes, expand their usual listening and discuss what they've been listening to on a day-to-day basis. you can pretty easily make charts to share music you listen to - though I hear live.fm does it automatically, I personally just use neverendingchartrendering.org, since you can pretty easily include things that might not be picked up by your streaming services. check it out!

here's a 3x3 of my recent listens:

been spinning a lot of folk punk and a lot of shoegaze, recently. it's just that time of year. the winter is gloomy, but all seasons need to feel a little uplifting, no? would absolutely recommend listening to cultdreams, one of my favorite discoveries of the year - their recent album, things that hurt, is easily one of my top 3 AOTY.

though I also normally DETEST christmas music with a passion, I make an exception for sufjan stevens. the man can do no wrong

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Re: What're you listening to? [Music Recs/Chart Sharing]

Post by MorganMustDie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:21 pm

YES YES YES I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS THREAD AND I WAS TOO SCARED TO MAKE IT MYSELF!!!!

Here's my albums of the decade chart!!
Image Perfection.

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:26 am

I've been listening lately to this fairly obscure scrapped project from former Jamiroquai bassist Stuart Zender called AZUR. Recorded between 1999 and 2002, whole thing was recorded but was abandoned by the label for unknown reasons. Here's one of my favorite tracks from it, but the whole album is pure soul-filled bliss.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind
Moon: Derse

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:48 pm

:rosecool:

SC

Post by SC » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 pm

I'm listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas album even though I'm pretty sure Christmas happened a couple weeks ago. Don't ask me why.

Also, please do y'allselves a favor and listen to both Tally Hall and Math the Band. You won't regret it.
Check out my Homestuck fanpage!
(fanventures, fanfiction, and wikis, oh my!)

:distraught3d: website | mastodon :kitty:

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:36 pm

1. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard is the shit, and such is an irrefutable fact. They just fuckin rock. They've got a little something for everybody, but if you're interested, I'm In Your Mind Fuzz is probably their best album, with "Cellophane" or "Am I In Heaven?" being my favorite songs on the album. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, give Infest the Rat's nest a shot. They've also got some more lo-fi stuff like "Her and I" "The River" and all of Float Along Fill Your Lungs (with the exception of "Head on/Pill") Check them out.
2. If you already like King Gizz, you will also probably like Oh Sees (or Thee Oh Sees). They came out with a new album, Face Stabber, over the summer, which is just absolutely bonkers, but their favorite album of mine is Orc.
3. SilvaGunner has been doing an event where a team of remixers takes songs from different sources, (Jet Set Radio, Danganronpa, French House as a genre, the Eminem discography, etc.), giving characters to those sources, remixing music from those sources, and then making the characters fight in a tournament style bracket over who has the better remixes. It's called King For Another Day (this is the second one) and much of the music produced in the tournament is better than most music I hear getting produced today. There are even some original pieces, check it out.
4. As you can tell by my PfP, The Beatles are rad. If you haven't been a fan of more mainstream, conventional musicals like Hamilton, The Yellow Submarine is definitely for you. Really it's for you if you just like movies in general. It's super solid, but you have to go into it with the mindset of 'weird stupid silly psychedelic shit.'
5. Justice is awesome, but if you have even a passing interest in electronic music you've probably already heard that. For my money, they're even better than Daft Punk.
And that's really all there is to say on the matter
June X Vriska is the best ship.

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:17 am

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:36 pm
1. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard is the shit, and such is an irrefutable fact. They just fuckin rock.
As a Melbournian, I used to be an absolute die-hard King Gizz fan because we're, like, legally obliged to be, but lately I've gotten kinda burned out on them since they're kinda part of a trend of Aussie artists making it big overseas and kinda leaving their home country behind (really shown by Gizz announcing their big spectacular XV-ALBUMS THREE HOUR marathon shows and not holding a single one in Australia) which, as an Aussie music fan, is kinda sad :/

In their absence, I've been really getting into Tropical Fuck Storm, another band on the Flightless label which does basically the same stuff Gizzard does but it's noisier and like, More Bogan if you know what I mean. They've got two almost perfect studio albums, and their track Maria 63 from this year's album was my song of the year, it's such a perfect way to close such a mindblowing album. Don't you dare listen to the song on its own, you basically are required to listen to the whole album to really feel the punch of it.

Here's another song of theirs!
Image Perfection.

Fresh
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by Fresh » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:45 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:21 pm
-snop-
+++exmilitary, gecs, collide, ITRN, god's favorite customer, flower boy

the intersection between gecs and homestuck surprises me with how large it is. I guess 100 gecs really is the homestuck of music? good list!
Sokota wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:26 am
I love weird unreleased shit! I used to listen to a lot of les rallizes denudes, a weird japanese 70s psychedelic noise rock band that only has bootlegs of their live performances and never produced a studio album (I think?) last I heard, the frontman had gone into hiding because he was suspected for helping to participate in the drummer's plane hijacking in the name of the japanese red army. wild stuff. thanks for the rare!
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:48 pm
banger
SC wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 pm
I'm listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas album even though I'm pretty sure Christmas happened a couple weeks ago. Don't ask me why.

Also, please do y'allselves a favor and listen to both Tally Hall and Math the Band. You won't regret it.
good calming piano.. it warms the soul. check out plantasia by mort garson if you want more warm, soothing music. can't say I've heard of math the band, any suggestions on where to start?
ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:36 pm
-snop-
infest the rats nest was some pretty wacky shit. I really loved the marriage of theme and style on that one, THERE IS NO PLANET BBBBBBBBBBBB

I listened to thee oh sees' latest release but it really didn't grip me the same way. I still like carrion crawler tho!

SC

Post by SC » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Fresh wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:45 pm
can't say I've heard of math the band, any suggestions on where to start?
I recommend starting off with Stupid and Weird, then moving onto their own self-cover album, Math the Band The Band The Album, then listening to everything else from there.
Check out my Homestuck fanpage!
(fanventures, fanfiction, and wikis, oh my!)

:distraught3d: website | mastodon :kitty:

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:27 am

Fresh wrote:
I guess 100 gecs really is the homestuck of music?
reading this did something to me deep down that I can't describe but I think it feels like enlightenment
Image Perfection.

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 am

Neil Peart just died, so me, my family, and some friends have all been going back and listening to Rush in a full discography marathon

This man's lyrics changed my life, his drumming changed rock music as a whole, and he will be sorely missed. I really wish I could have gotten to see them live before they disbanded, and I'm sending my love to Geddy, Alex, and Neil's family

everyone listen to 2112, this is an order
Image Perfection.

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:45 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:27 am
Fresh wrote:
I guess 100 gecs really is the homestuck of music?
reading this did something to me deep down that I can't describe but I think it feels like enlightenment
is endumbment a thing? because if so that's how I felt

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 pm

I've been on this kick of weird synth-y Japanese dnb sounding music that is technically called electro/dance music but doesn't feel like it. Stuff like Machine Girl, and SewerSlvt. It's got this really weird feeling about it, like you're simultaneously on sedatives and stimulants. I super recommend giving it a listen. I've also heard Death Grips are good, but they never really clicked for me. I personally find Kobaryo more akin to my tastes.

June X Vriska is the best ship.

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 pm
Damn I just stumbled upon Machine Girl like three days ago and I've been posting WLFGRL in the Last Post Wins thread ever since
this shit goes mega hard
Image Perfection.

lavendersiren
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by lavendersiren » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 am

Uh, whatever this is.

Been listening to a lot of relaxing new age synth stuff, as well as a bunch of obscure funky jazz fusion albums. Can't remember any of their names since they're all just sorta found on youtube. Never been all that good at remembering names and titles of most things.
Image Image

belovedCreator
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Mage of Breath

Post by belovedCreator » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:03 am

A new version of a good ol' song!

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:20 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 pm
I've been on this kick of weird synth-y Japanese dnb sounding music that is technically called electro/dance music but doesn't feel like it. Stuff like Machine Girl, and SewerSlvt. It's got this really weird feeling about it, like you're simultaneously on sedatives and stimulants. I super recommend giving it a listen. I've also heard Death Grips are good, but they never really clicked for me. I personally find Kobaryo more akin to my tastes.
I've been waiting to talk about this. I really like stuff like this.

It's a pretty rare 'genre' of music, the kind of which I can only really find if I'm very lucky on Youtube or if I look up Japanese rhythm game songs. It's because their melody is so intense and there's like, five different things going on at once that makes them easy to make difficult for rhythm games.
I've heard it called 'artcore', but apparently that's not even recognized enough to have its own Wikipedia article. The closest thing I have to something most people who are into music that I talk to would understand is 'happy hardcore', and that doesn't feel close enough to what I want personally.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm

This is just. This is just the most beautiful video and song I've ever encountered, I can't stop listening to it.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

MrDiamondEgg
Pronouns: Any
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by MrDiamondEgg » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:05 pm

I've been listening to Duck Sauce a lot lately, here're some songs of theirs I really like.

On a related note I guess, I really like MSTRKRFT's music, who happens to share a member with Duck Sauce, A-Trak.

I didn't use the original uploads for Fist of God and Vuvuvu because it features the album art for the LP those songs are on, and, well... it's not too suggestive but maybe not appropriate for the forums.

OppositeKeith

Post by OppositeKeith » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:28 pm

was wondering where this was, every forum board i know has one of these. anyways I've been recently listening to conscious hip hop. here some of my favorites

a skilled rapper from haiti that feels almost mythical to me for how otherwise random he is with the availbility of his albums. pray for haiti and balens cho are my favorite albums by him.

YOD is also a great rapper from ukraine. hes especially been releasing a handful this past year or so and they never seem to fail but be in good quality. if you like Nas specifically on the lyricism side of things, i think you'll love this guy.