anyone still play animal crossing nh?

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
tragicCartoonist
Classpect: Heir of Doom
Moon: Derse

anyone still play animal crossing nh?

Post by tragicCartoonist » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:05 am

got back into nh after burning myself out with it over quarantine (and a few more times since 8P).

just wondering if any of you guys still play, im currently making my island one of those fancy schmancy ones with roads and stuff lololol :cool3d:
:cool3d: pwn1n9 L00Z4H5 l0l0l0l 937 fukc19n R3K7 :cool3d:

Image <== CL1CK F0R 3P1C 57UFF!! >8D

lavendersiren
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: anyone still play animal crossing nh?

Post by lavendersiren » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:02 am

nah, I got bored of it after playing for roughly a year or two and getting my island how I wanted it. I didn't go for all of the house upgrades, but honestly sometimes you just don't need that many rooms in a house. Honestly, I think it started to get boring after one of my friends just sorta handed me a holy heckton of bells, enough to pay off at least one house upgrade.
Also like, maybe its more of a "I've played so many animal crossings in the past that its getting old hat at this point", but it just did not feel worth talking to any of the villagers unless necessary. At least in the earlier games you could ask them for sidequests, but here they just sorta say 1 or 2 stock phrases of their villager type for the day until they get tired of being talked to.

Like, why did hardcore players ever have a thing about favorite villagers when there's only so many personality types for the villagers and none of them seem to even have meaning to them due to their templated nature? Who was that popular cat that everyone was ogling about? Whiskers, I think? what's the point of wanting a villager if they're just gonna say the same set of things to you?

As for the creative potential of the game, new horizons definitely has that in spades (and every other tool as well), but at the end of the day, it almost feels pointless to toil in a walled garden when there's so many other creative media that can be tapped into for similar ends. Like, if I wanted to build an island block by block, I'd just go back to playing minecraft (which I often do anyways.)
In fact, one of my major gamedev projects pulls a lot of inspiration from the days of when I used to play gamecube animal crossing and really just wanted to go on an adventure with those animals and stuff, which turned out to have been the original pitch for the game in the first place! Granted, the original dobustu no mori for the n64DD was going to be a roguelike with proc-gen dungeons and my thing is more exploring huge hand-made forested areas acre by acre, but you can see where I'm coming from, right?

Either way, my imagination leads me in other directions than what new horizons can offer me, though it was nice while it still felt fresh.
Image Image