Internet Archeology

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
Endater
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Butt of Joke
Moon: Derse

Internet Archeology

Post by Endater » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:34 pm

In this thread we share and showcase interesting site from the old days of the internet!

My current method of digging up old sites is looking up random words on GifCities and clicking whatever intrigues me. That how I found Billy Burrew's Fan Fiction Website.

I'd link it directly, but being a fan fiction website, you can imagine some of the saucier writings on there. It's mostly safe, but I'm already on thin ice with the mods, so I'd rather play it safe. DM me on Discord for the link ig

Mr. Burrew's fan fiction focuses on Nsync and the Backstreet Boys. The members are often depicted as being in homosexual relationships, as Mr. Burrew seems to be gay himself. Which leads us to these woderful gifs:

Some of Billy's "Affiliates" seem to be a bit questionable. Guess he had to make profit SOMEHOW:

ImageImage

This ad is by far my favorite:

What drugs would they be dealing? We'll never know. The link is dead. So are the links on all the other ads.

And what about the actual fanfics? There isn't much to be said. I skimmed through a few. There's a lot of oneshots with a few longer stories. Angst, fluff, smut. It's what you expect. Honestly, they're pretty tame by today's fanfic standards. The craziest they get is a story where the Nsync get X-men powers. Or the one about Nick Carter losing his girlfriend to the 9/11 tragedy. THAT is certainly a time capsule. It must have been written shortly after the tragedy, since the only date I can find on the site is 2001.

I think this site, and the sites linked in the "Other Great Links" section can be an interesting glance into gay culture in the late 90s and early 2000s. Despite being a bi chick myself, I'm not very involved in queer culture. So I'm not really able to make any interesting observations other than saying "It's different." Maybe I'll one day go into straightacting.com, but I think that's better left to a gay guy who knows the homosexual landscape better

Please discuss or share your own findings from the wild wild web
ImageImage

Endater

Re: Internet Archeology

Post by Endater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:34 am

Here's some new links from today's surfings. I won't go as in-depth on these on right now, but I'll include a bit of a description.

The Proto-Language- This man is (or was) trying to reconstruct the language that all languages originate from. I love learning about language, so this might be an interesting look through for me. It seems a bit confusing though. Of course, I think the idea of a proper "Proto-Language" is a bit cuckoo, but still interesting none the less.

Angels Paradise- BIG SEIZURE WARNING!! Tons of flashing images. The majority of this is a poorly written story about Alexander the Great finding a cave full of gold and then meeting an angel. The angel tells Alexander to get out. It pretty much ends there. At the end there's some 9/11 memorials. There's some weird gifs of classic art with ms paint spray can scribbled over it.

MSV-Just some emo kid's site from 2002. I want to click around it some more and check out his friends' sites too.
ImageImage

Endater

Post by Endater » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:37 pm

This collection of websites comes from my search for doll photos. My fantroll, Bukimi, likes to collect and make dolls when she isn't reading or gaming. I wanted some vintage vinyl dolls to decorate her room with. The sort with the dead stare. But simply googling "Creepy vintage doll" gives you photos that are all too clean in my opinion. The dolls are obviously designed to be scary and the photography is very good. Too good. I wanted to find photos of dolls from personal collections, taken in earnest. Dolls with the potential to be creepy, but aren't necessarily creepy on their own.

Unfortunately these sorts of photos are hard to find through Google. I went all the way to page 32 of Google, the last page of my search, and found nothing but listacles, as far as the finger could scroll. It's obviously Google has some sort of filters in place to keeping from finding the truly obscure sites. Whether this is a personal attack or for virus protection I can not say for certain.

Off to Bing I went. I finally found just what I was looking for, on the pages 25 and beyond. With some wonderfully aged web design to boot.

Vintage Dolls

Doll Net

Chip Barkel Antiques- So I'm going to have some newer sites on this list. Mostly for my own convenience, this being one of them it seems.

Fab Tin Toys

Vintage Gatherings- This one is easily my favorite. I love the cardboard aesthetic paired with comic sans.

Vintage Goddess

Glenda Antique Dolls & Collectables

- This site is just a hub of links to more doll sites. Some of which are already in this list.

Stitch n' Stuff

Nancy Dream House- There isn't anything to explore here, unfortunately, since the website closed in 2014. I do love this landing page though. It has some classic gifs. I might plug this into the Wayback sometime to see what it had. The website lasted 27 years, surely there must be some cool history with it.
ImageImage

Disgustedorite
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by Disgustedorite » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:40 pm

Oh hey, an interest of mine! What are we counting as old internet? I'm a big fan of old lost forum communities, myself.
Sagan 4 - collaborative worldbuilding community that's older than Homestuck and still active

gardenAgnostic
Pronouns: she/they/ae/sie/hir/
Classpect: Mage of Mind
Moon: Prospit

Post by gardenAgnostic » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:28 pm

i thought of being a fandom historian for homestuck desu
jaderoxy is the ship ever :rosecool: