Who Wants To Play (HS Flavored) Mafia/Werewolf?

Play all the Forum Games you could ever want, right here.
Kidpen
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Seer of Mind
Moon: Derse

Who Wants To Play (HS Flavored) Mafia/Werewolf?

Post by Kidpen » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:37 pm

So I've been on several other forums where they play mafia (also called werewolf but I prefer mafia so I'm calling it that here). I figure it might be fun to try it here. Or maybe not, we'll see.
Basically the deal is that there are two teams: the eliminators/wolves/mafia/literally 90 other things and the village. The village vastly outnumbers the werewolves, but nobody knows who anybody else is. The goal of the werewolves is to outnumber equal the number of villagers. The goal of the villagers is to kill all of the werewolves.
The game is divided into day phases and night phases. During the day phase, which comes first, every player votes on a player to lynch. The next phase is the night phase, when more discussion happens and the werewolves choose somebody to kill. This vote will happen in Red. If you want to take off a vote, you should write their name in Green.
Not too complicated, right? Well, here's where it gets interesting. The game also usually has special roles, where a particular player has a more interesting power to go along with being village or a werewolf. I'll explain what specifically those might be in a moment.
In general, this is the type of game where you want to be careful with how much info you give out. It's a game of lies, after all. You could just explain exactly what role you have in the thread, but that might cause the wolves to kill you if it's powerful, or if you're role is weak they have a greater chance of going for somebody with an important role.
Now, here are the specific rules of the game I'd like to run here, depending on how many people are interested (epilogue spoilers):
Spoiler
Show
Your name is Jane Crocker, and you are a dirty fascist. Unfortunately, those dang trolls are stopping you from really going all out on your fascism. Real annoying. To fix this, you've decided to put in a dedicated effort to root out all of the rebel spies among your faithful troll advisors.
Factions:
The Fascists are the village in this game. Traditionally the village is the good guys, but in this case that is not so. They win when the Rebels are all dead.
The Rebels are the werewolves. They win when they outnumber or have an equal amount of members as the Fascists. They also win if they kill Jane Crocker. The rebels can also communicate with each other through either a Google Doc or private message, they can choose.
Fascist specific roles:
Jane Crocker: Jane is a God Tier. This means that she can not die unless it is Just (or Heroic, but there's no point paying attention to that). She can only die if all but one of the rebels are dead.
She is also the president. Due to a number of loopholes unintentionally put into the Earth C constitution, she can order exactly one extra death every night of whoever she chooses. However, the moment she does this, it is revealed which player she is. She's also the Maid of Life but those powers would tip the balance too far so we're ignoring that.
Cabinet Member: You're a normal person, other than the fact that you're a democratically elected troll. All you can do is vote.
Rebel specific roles:
Rebel: You're just a normal rebel under the command of Karkat Vantas, who isn't interesting enough to warrant a role. You can submit a kill every night for who should die. Whatever command is submitted last is taken.
General roles:
Mind-Controller: You can control minds. This allows you to change the vote of one person per day.
Empath: You can feel people's feelings. This means that once per night you can
Rustblood: You can commune with the dead. When someone dies, they go to their own death doc/message depending on what people want. Every night the dead will vote on one message of 10 words or less to send to the rustblood(s).
Maybe some other stuff? Probably not, but it depends on how many players we get. These rules would be good for 9-13 as a rough estimate, so if we get something significantly off from that I might change it.
General rules:
At the beginning of the game, every player will receive a PM from me detailing their role.
The game will continue from there in phases of day and night, each 24 hours probably unless people prefer something different.
Every day phase, every player can vote in Red on any player. The player with the most votes at the end of the day will die.
Ties in votes will be decided randomly. Someone dies of a vote every day.
Please, let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the rules! I definitely left something stupid out, so ask.
Player List:
Spoiler
Show
calamityCons
sigmatic
BrobyDDark
ThePungeonMaster
Rule Clarifications:
Spoiler
Show
Also mods this can go in the Roleplaying section if you want.

Edit: Also if nobody is interested in this it can just be for, like, 3 player games at a time, wolfia style.
Last edited by Kidpen on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
the epilogues were good.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Re: Who Wants To Play (HS Flavored) Mafia/Werewolf?

Post by calamityCons » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:38 pm

I know there was a previous thread that advertized for mafia, but that one seems very quiet so i’d be down to join in!
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:07 am

calamityCons wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:38 pm
I know there was a previous thread that advertized for mafia, but that one seems very quiet so i’d be down to join in!
Previous post never really got anywhere, so I'm in for this one too!
Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Kidpen

Post by Kidpen » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:08 am

calamityCons wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:38 pm
Oh really? In hindsight I probably should've looked for that before making this. Ah well, thanks for joining! I'll probably wait a week or so to see who else joins. If we have too few after that this can be an impromptu small mafia game thread.
the epilogues were good.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:16 pm

I'll join

Kidpen

Post by Kidpen » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 pm

I'm going to leave this open until Friday. 3 people is definitely not enough to play a full game! If you're thinking about joining, join! On Saturday if we have less than 9 people than this will officially just become a thread for smaller and faster games.
the epilogues were good.

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Fuck it, I'm in.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

Kidpen

Post by Kidpen » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:32 am

It's Friday! Let's see if we can get 5 more people in the next 24 hours!
the epilogues were good.

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Khiara » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:58 pm

I'd always be excited with werewolf/mafia kind of games. I played Town of Salem before and it was a blast!
Though sometimes I afraid I'd ruin the game for not understanding the roles :'D

I'm interested to join. I have a question though. Are we supposed to create fantrolls to take a role in the game?

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

Kidpen

Post by Kidpen » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Khiara wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:58 pm
I'd always be excited with werewolf/mafia kind of games. I played Town of Salem before and it was a blast!
Though sometimes I afraid I'd ruin the game for not understanding the roles :'D

I'm interested to join. I have a question though. Are we supposed to create fantrolls to take a role in the game?
Cool! Glad you're signing up!

You could, if you want! That was how it usually went on the forum where I originally started playing. That being said it's also not required, and I didn't bring it up because it's a bit more removed from the game itself.

That being said, looks like this isn't a thing that's happening. Seems like probably this forum isn't active enough for this to be especially viable. Unless you guys would rather wait for probably way too much time for enough people to join.

If not, here's what I figured this thread could be for instead:
Spoiler
Show
So essentially whenever anyone wants to play, they can post in here. Then whoever else is around and wants to play would respond. When 4 or more people joined, the game would start, with one person running the game. They would randomly choose 1/3 (rounded down) of the players to be the wolf. 1 of the non wolves would get the gun. The for the next however much amount of time (an hour? a day? 10 minutes? 1 minute? whatever) they would all comment in here and try to convince the person with the gun that they were not a wolf and to shoot for whoever they thing the wolf is. At some time before the time is up, the person with the gun says who they choose to shoot. If it was a villager, the shooter dies and the shootee gets the gun. If it was a wolf, the wolf dies and the person gets another period of time to choose who to shoot. Unless there are an equal (or more) number of wolves and villagers, in which case the wolves win.
the epilogues were good.

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:40 pm

I think it's a bit sad that the forum isn't active enough for a game of Mafia, but the modified version seems fun! A test game to get a handle on the rules might be the best bet.

Khiara

Post by Khiara » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks for the answer.
A'ight! Count me in.

A friendly suggestion : maybe we should wait for more few days (2-3 days?). Probably there would be more users online on the weekend.

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

Kidpen

Post by Kidpen » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:45 am

Khiara wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 pm
Thanks for the answer.
A'ight! Count me in.

A friendly suggestion : maybe we should wait for more few days (2-3 days?). Probably there would be more users online on the weekend.
That seems reasonable! I have no problem with waiting a bit longer. I suspect we won't end up getting enough people, but I would love to be surprised! If we don't, I'll see about when people would want to play a test game of the shorter version and run that.
the epilogues were good.

Khiara

Post by Khiara » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:25 am

Kidpen wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:45 am
That seems reasonable! I have no problem with waiting a bit longer. I suspect we won't end up getting enough people, but I would love to be surprised! If we don't, I'll see about when people would want to play a test game of the shorter version and run that.
Sure! I'd love to participate on a test game.

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

csj
Pronouns: He/They/Bird
Classpect: Waste of Time

Post by csj » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:18 am

I remember playing mafia in ye olde days back before people that liked Forum Games weren't refugees

Khiara

Post by Khiara » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:24 pm

So... When will we start? Or should we wait for more players?

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

Kidpen

Post by Kidpen » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:52 pm

Khiara wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:24 pm
So... When will we start? Or should we wait for more players?
Waiting for more players would be pretty useless at this point I think. I guess when we start depends on how long you guys want the games to be. I think 3 player games aren't worth lasting longer than an hour, and really 2-5 minutes is probably ideal for them. 4 player games aren't much better. 5 might be worth having a time length that actually allows people to take breaks.
Regardless, I'm not totally sure what the best way to plan them is. I don't know what times work for people, soooooooo how about Thursday (March 5) at 3 PM MST? Then after that it would probably be more suited to just anyone who wants to play posting in here somewhere between an hour and a day in advance.
the epilogues were good.

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:47 pm

I'll be available at that time, sure.

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:39 am

I don't think I'll be available at that time, that's pretty late for me...
Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Khiara

Post by Khiara » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:41 am

So it will be about 5 am on Friday (March 6) for me then...

Not sure if I will be available in that time? May I stand by at 2-3 hours later?

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART