I don't think Hussie's going to make anything that isn't Homestuck anymore

Discuss other MSPA and Andrew Hussie related works like Problem Sleuth and Bard Quest here!
TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

I don't think Hussie's going to make anything that isn't Homestuck anymore

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Since SBURB is a worldbuilding machine, almost any story could fit in the Homestuck setting. The one exception I can think of is Problem Sleuth, since it explicitly has its own creation myth. Taking any idea and branding it as part of the Homestuck franchise means a guaranteed readership.

but Homestuck is part of SBAHJ and not the other way around
only bad takes here

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Re: I don't think Hussie's going to make anything that isn't Homestuck anymore

Post by MorganMustDie » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:21 pm

I wouldn't completely write it off, he's expressed in the past that he's getting kinda sick of Homestuck (which is likely why he's not getting his claws all the way deep into hs2)

But, we've got a lot still to come. Who knows when all of Hiveswap, Hauntswitch and HS^2 will be done? Plus, Hussie's classic style of humour isn't really accepted anymore, so it would be a big change from him if he wanted to move into something else once HS media finally wraps itself up
Image Perfection.

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath
Moon: Derse

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm

I'd say the thing I'm going to miss most about any projects headed by Hussie going forward is his sense of humor during his earlier career, before Homestuck really took off. Without that kind of writing that isn't afraid to be offensive (so long as it's funny), I don't think Homestuck will ever be able to recapture everything of what it once was. Don't get me wrong, the "I feel so caucasian" joke was in poor taste, and it's just as likely HS^2 will forge an identity for itself totally independent of HS^1, but without the ability to be offensive, all of Homestuck^2's claims at irreverence just ring hollow.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:14 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm
I'd say the thing I'm going to miss most about any projects headed by Hussie going forward is his sense of humor during his earlier career, before Homestuck really took off. Without that kind of writing that isn't afraid to be offensive (so long as it's funny), I don't think Homestuck will ever be able to recapture everything of what it once was. Don't get me wrong, the "I feel so caucasian" joke was in poor taste, and it's just as likely HS^2 will forge an identity for itself totally independent of HS^1, but without the ability to be offensive, all of Homestuck^2's claims at irreverence just ring hollow.
Karkat's yelly nature means nothing if his insults lack bite, and Dave's devil may care personality loses a lot of its touch now that he does care.

The entire conversation where John says "I AM NOT A HOMOSEXUAL" would likely not happen today.

Cyber-Fan
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by Cyber-Fan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm
Hussie's sense of humor hasn't changed all that much though. He doesn't say slurs anymore, but other than that, he's still pretty provocative/offensive. I mean, just look at the epilogues, or the newer book commentaries.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:03 am

if andrew does non-pumpkin work at any point in the near future i can guarantee it'll be under a pseudonym.
mod on the mspa wiki

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:15 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:03 am
if andrew does non-pumpkin work at any point in the near future i can guarantee it'll be under a pseudonym.
I can't wait to see a webcomic from some new guy called Werdna Husslord.

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:51 am

JakeMorph wrote:
check out this new comic website, Exceptional Sporting Squad
Image Perfection.

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:08 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:21 pm
I wouldn't completely write it off, he's expressed in the past that he's getting kinda sick of Homestuck (which is likely why he's not getting his claws all the way deep into hs2)
Ok, but imagine this: Andrew Hussie writes a completely original new story with no characters from Homestuck until the very end when one Homestuck character says to another "Wow! What a cool universe we made. Having omniscience is epic." And that's the bare-minimum effort necessary.
only bad takes here

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:19 pm

You say bare minimum effort but people would be significantly peeved. Fuck, even I would, and I'm one of the few who feels like there hasn't been any big missteps in Homestucks career so far.
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:58 pm

I never actually see Hussie say he's getting sick of Homestuck. I'd like to find this.
only bad takes here

ZingDev
Pronouns: Male

Post by ZingDev » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:30 am

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:58 pm
I never actually see Hussie say he's getting sick of Homestuck. I'd like to find this.
i think it is all assumptions. what with the radio silence and the quality decline during post retcon stuff and the end of homestuck as well as not writing anything anymore. Like I know he did some of the dialogue in the epilogue and wrote John's route on PesterQuest, but he is just directing things now.

Hussie never said he was tired of homestuck or that he hated his fans. at least from my knowledge.

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:52 pm

That's not saying much because he doesn't even make Homestuck anymore :cal:

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:54 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Chuck Tingle

Cyber-Fan

Post by Cyber-Fan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Bahinchut wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:52 pm
That's not saying much because he doesn't even make Homestuck anymore :cal:
He's writing for homestuck 2, according to the credits page/some of the other authors' tweets.

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:17 am

Cyber-Fan wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 pm
He's writing for homestuck 2, according to the credits page/some of the other authors' tweets.
Well, he wrote a general synopsis of where the story would be going, but as far as I can tell he's not writing any of the actual words that we will be reading
Image Perfection.

Cyber-Fan

Post by Cyber-Fan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:30 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:17 am
Cyber-Fan wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 pm
Well, he wrote a general synopsis of where the story would be going, but as far as I can tell he's not writing any of the actual words that we will be reading
One of the writers tweeted something along the lines of "we'll never tell you what parts were written by Hussie." It's been deleted so I'm not 100% sure she was talking about the actual writing and not the plot, but that's what I remember. Anyway, I doubt he'll be writing much, probably just one memey update like how he wrote the Obama scene in Candy.

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 pm

if i made enough money to tell people to write my fanfic for me, i'd love that.

also, there's hiveswap, right? he's still gotta work on hiveswap act 2 you know. so many irons in the fire.

i was just thinking about "What if hussie wanted to give wizardy herbert another shot," but don't let that stop you
only bad takes here

luminantAegis
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by luminantAegis » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:16 am

Cyber-Fan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:30 am
One of the writers tweeted something along the lines of "we'll never tell you what parts were written by Hussie." It's been deleted so I'm not 100% sure she was talking about the actual writing[..]
There's been a few tweets like that, one off the top of my head:
https://twitter.com/vfromhomestuck/status/1117598941200121856 wrote: "dont be silly, its quite obvious which part hussie wrote. he has a very distinct writing style that cant be emulated well" -- think again bitch we're great at this

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:29 am

whenever there's some sort of pop-culture or meme reference these days, i assume it's not hussie. hussie doesn't know about any pop culture newer than 2011 (besides homestuck)

he's just a man who lives in a toblerone cave and he doesn't know who bowsette is
only bad takes here